As Chikungunya rages in Cambodia, Vietnam on high alert

geovalin

Cambodia has seen the re-emergence of the Chikungunya virus in 15 cities and provinces with more than 2,000 infected cases so far. This outbreak has caused alarm in Vietnam and the administration of An Giang Province in Vietnam’s Mekong Delta has required relevant agencies to strengthen measures to prevent the Chikungunya outbreaks from entering Vietnam.

An official letter was sent to departments, agencies, and the People’s Committees of 11 districts, towns, and cities in the province on Wednesday to increase alertness and monitoring of the Chikungunya epidemic occurring in Cambodia, said An Giang vice-chairman Le Van Phuoc.

Among these localities, four share a border with Vietnam. Two of them — Kandal and Takeo Provinces — border An Giang, putting the Mekong Delta province at high risk of transmission. Chikungunya is a viral disease transmitted to humans through infected Aedes aegypti mosquitoes, the letter mentioned, adding that its symptoms may include acute fever, severe joint pain, muscle pain, a headache, nausea, fatigue, and a rash.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50755901/as-chikungunya-rages-in-cambodia-vietnam-on-high-alert/

For reference and with due respect - quote from Out Break News Today 5 August 2020:-

Thailand’s health ministry has reported an additional 1700 chikungunya cases in the past month or so, with the total cases now at 5728 year to date from 65 of the country’s 76 provinces.

aedes-255x300-255x300.png Image/CDC

No deaths have been reported.

Provinces with the highest incidence of the mosquito borne infection include Chanthaburi, Uthai Thani, Lamphun and Trat.

I contracted Chikungunya disease a year ago in July 2019.  Much much worse than Dengue which I had 6 years ago.  Having a fair bit of medical education and experience... even though deathly sick I summed up some medications that would help relieve the drastic symptoms... Every joint knees, shoulders, elbows, fingers and feet felt like the most severe arthritis one could imagine. An extremely odd sensation was it felt like my feet had sharp broken glass shards glued to the soles. Then the headache and other well documented symptoms came, initial nausea, etc. Going to the bathroom was a nightmare of pain - getting up then sitting down - then up again was a screaming episode. Good thing I live alone... scared my cats though. The primary relief drug was a Cox-2 inhibitor (in the family of Celebrex) - it quelled the ultra strange glass on sole of the feet sensation - plus the joint pains.  This allowed me to think more clearly. My appetite was Zero.  For more than two weeks I ate nothing. I just drank water, tea, coke, & juice. I lost about 12 kilograms of weight. I lost 90% of my sense of taste and smell. I was overweight but began to look like a skeleton in my upper torso. My head and neck became a pencil neck. 

The rest was a slow regaining of nutrition - yogurt, then soup, then progressively back to near somewhat normal.  Next was a month of convalescents. My clothes practically fell off me. The remarks people made reassured me I was not imagining things. It took twelve months before weight regain became noticeable. 

Edited by JDGRUEN
spelling - punctuation, etc.