Thais hope 2 million foreign tourists will visit from year end to March, despite all the restrictions

webfact

Yesss im on my way. 2 weeks stuck in a room. Then on last test is positive so cant fly home. Then when i finally get home another 2 weeks in a room.

perfect holiday. Sign me up.

Oh, but theres more, if my insurance is not.to their liking, or maybe i dont have the 10k cash in my wallet, or any reason at all then im out before im in and lost my money.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

There are people who will be happy to do this.

They have a house here and usually come for a minimum of three months. Sometimes six months.

In the village where I live I know of 6, possibly 8 that would jump at the chance.

Just 1,999,992 to go

Same. I know a few who are essentially locked in, in their mother country residence anyway. If they can't venture out for a couple of weeks upon entry, it wound not be an issue.

No interest in staying at the tourist islands and paying big money to be incarcerated . 

Like thousands of ex pats I have  a lovely home in a village 2 hours outside of Bangkok and would gladly quarantine there for 2 weeks on my return . In fact i did this back in March before being forced to return to my home country . Went from Pattaya to village where a rep for the village head man knocked on our door when we arrived and notified us that we were required to quarantine for 2 weeks . No problem . Great internet and Internet Protocal TV with a daily walk around the house and the weeks flew by .

They could follow all the current precautions on arrival at the irport  but then have a COVID compliant vehicle and driver transport expats to their  village house . Of course the expat  would pay the transport cost . A nurse from the nearest hospital could be despatched to administer the requisite tests . 

Quarantine over and the local economy starts getting a boost as the ATM's are back in town ???? .

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

There are people who will be happy to do this.

They have a house here and usually come for a minimum of three months. Sometimes six months.

In the village where I live I know of 6, possibly 8 that would jump at the chance.

Just 1,999,992 to go

Yes I agree there are many that would take advantage of this if made possible. I will return home to Phuket! But, I don’t think it will be people in the millions, maybe the thousand and they will stay long term, but not unless the embassy starts issuing long term visas again. If not for me I would get to spend lots of money... to hug my love, and pack and sell as much as I can... maybe be able to get a 30-day extension... then have to leave!

• Like 1

well let's try to calculus and be optimistic

2 000 000 / 300 (round optimistic number of people by A380 big fly who is not full, but not far to be fulll) = 6 666 fly (very bad number for christian... let's say 6 000 to be easy )

from first October (10) to en d of March (02) => 4 month

6 000 / 4 = 1500 (by month)

1500 / 30 = 50 fly by day !

actually how much "tourist" fly by day please ? Do you know some company there who is ready for that right now ?

well let's try to see for there plan with ASQ blackmail business cinema story time:

14 days with 50 fly by day of around 300 foreigner to be confined.... => 50 * 300 * 14 = 210 000 people to confined in ASQ (let's said 200 000)

imagine people are not alone but by couple to make it easy and quick, we are talking about around 100 000 room to be ready for the end of the second week !!! And you just purpose rich hotel five stars... is it a joke ? Looks like in your head big noise falang are very rich also...

So how many room of your blackmailed 5 stars hotel process do you have right now ? Someone know ?

But the profit would be good, for sure... in your dream.

it looks like it is NOT possible this way, which kind of people do these plan and speak so quick ? I want to know...

stop to dream babies.

49 minutes ago, dougiemac52 said:

This is no different to arriving anywhere else in Thailand. Quarantine at your expense, but it seems to be more like a prison.  I don't understand why so many Covid tests and the meals at the hotel look <deleted>

Or why do the nurses have to be the short haired, angry type. 

40 minutes ago, smylee52 said:

They could follow all the current precautions on arrival at the irport  but then have a COVID compliant vehicle and driver transport expats to their  village house . Of course the expat  would pay the transport cost . A nurse from the nearest hospital could be despatched to administer the requisite tests . 

People that live out in the sticks are not who the government are targeting, they want the big spenders. 

Quarantine at home would be ideal, agreed. But it would require every person doing it to be tagged to ensure they don't live the premises. The western world has been under self isolation at home for months and look how badly that has gone. People can't be trusted, it's been proven so Thailand won't take that risk, not yet anyway. 

2 hours ago, robsamui said:

But Phuket and Samui airports don't.

Yes, i apologise, an error on my part. i was assuming when you refereed to two airports you were referring to Don Mueang  and Suvarnabhumi. Definitely puts a different perspective on it     

My plan would definitely be better. I would use army bases as enclosed and protected quarantine venue for tourists. Tourists can use the army golf course, army bicycle path, army swimming pools, shooting range, sky diving and of course the army beaches wile being in quarantine. Solders serving breakfast, lunch and dinner and take care of all tourist needs. All of it for a low cost price. I'm thinking of army bases like Wing 5 in Prachuap Khiri Khan or the Naval School in Chon Buri, known for its Sai Kaew Beach.

12 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I would say that it is a very forlorn hope. Right now they can go many places in the world without having such measures, so why the hell would they agree in their millions to put up with such here?

But the minister doesnt understand english news so doesnt know and hasnt a clue, like most thais, what is going on elsewhere in the World.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kohkah said:

My plan would definitely be better. I would use army bases as enclosed and protected quarantine venue for tourists. Tourists can use the army golf course, army bicycle path, army swimming pools, shooting range, sky diving and of course the army beaches wile being in quarantine. Solders serving breakfast, lunch and dinner and take care of all tourist needs. All of it for a low cost price. I'm thinking of army bases like Wing 5 in Prachuap Khiri Khan or the Naval School in Chon Buri, known for its Sai Kaew Beach.

Those places are being readied for attitude adjustment s and reeducation.

9 hours ago, ourmanflint said:

Are you sure about that? A 2 week quarantine period can start any day between Dec/March, they overlap. so there are 120 or so in that time frame

Regardless of what day quarantine starts you can't squeeze in 120 two week periods into 4 months.

Just now, Tony125 said:

Emirates have already done the same, announced last week I think. 

But would this be good enough for Thai authorities? And Virgin don't fly to Thailand so that's a non-starter. 

13 hours ago, webfact said:

at the end of this they could leave the island and leave the province

...Is this the secret to this insanity? Is it to force all longer stay winter tourists; snowbirds like me to enter via the 3 tourist islands. This would help keep their tourist industry ticking over until things hopefully improve for them next year. They might even be tempted to stay there a bit longer getting scammed and ripped off for a bit more cash...555.

Edited by SunsetT

1 minute ago, SunsetT said:

...Is this the secret to this insanity? It is to force all longer stay winter tourists; snowbirds like me to enter via the 3 tourist islands. This would help keep their tourist industry ticking over until things hopefully improve for them next year. They might even be tempted to stay there a bit longer getting scammed and ripped off for a bit more cash...555.

You could not write the script. How desperate can they be to try and squeeze a few grand out of people who have no interest in being in Phuket and have to stay locked up for two weeks plus one, just so they can finally go back to where they want to go. 

10 hours ago, LEKPHUKET said:

Expecting to find 2 milj clowns who accept this,people are smarter then that.

This insane 2 weeks quarantine is now presented for weeks and the bkk puppets still not want to understand that this is interesting nobody. Thai economy will collapse more and more while other countries will welcome tourists, maldives,bali and others

Today announced : Bali closed to foreign tourist untill the end of this year.

13 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I would say that it is a very forlorn hope. Right now they can go many places in the world without having such measures, so why the hell would they agree in their millions to put up with such here?

Exactly so in a hotel or a placement of the rinsers choice <deleted> them  at a high cost let them fkcng sink They are nothing without us dirty Falangs ????????????????????????????????

I am one of the small number of "tourists" that would submit to this, only because I stay for 2 months at a time, and would probably do this for 3 months this time (at least). This is as long as they don't grossly overcharge for the quarantine hotel and other requirements. I doubt they will get 2 million through this plan. Maybe a few hundred thousand if they are lucky. It is really just for long term stayers like myself desperate to get back in where there are no alternatives.

I have no interest in Phuket, but would stay there for 14 days and then move on to Bangkok where all my many friends are, a city I have known for 33 years now.

11 minutes ago, charmonman said:

I am one of the small number of "tourists" that would submit to this, only because I stay for 2 months at a time, and would probably do this for 3 months this time (at least). This is as long as they don't grossly overcharge for the quarantine hotel and other requirements. I doubt they will get 2 million through this plan. Maybe a few hundred thousand if they are lucky. It is really just for long term stayers like myself desperate to get back in where there are no alternatives.

I have no interest in Phuket, but would stay there for 14 days and then move on to Bangkok where all my many friends are, a city I have known for 33 years now.

14 days locked in a hotel then a further 7 in Phuket before you can move on. 

13 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Would these be Burmese cruising the Gulf of Thailand on ships? All you can catch seafood buffets.

I mean honestly, how are these 2 million people going to get here? Walk, swim, sail?

Airlines just can't whipsaw capacity on a moment's notice? Airlines can't even sell tickets for ravel to Thailand now. THAI Airways won't be flying much before Q3 2021.

Who wants to come here?

Vacations are planned long in advance.

And why is it always a "scheme", trying to "lure" tourists?

Are these Thai words which have a different meaning but this is how they translate them?

I guess you could scheme to lure two million Chinese tourists, assuming they want to come here. Everybody holler, Zero Baht.

I don't think it would take that long to arrange the recommissioning of the thousands

of planes sitting idle around the world and the operators would be happy to use their

assets. However, as stated earlier, there would be a limited amount of people who could 

take a 5 week holiday, including the 4 weeks of quarantine either end.

I would consider it as I have a few quid sloshing around after 4 months of furlough, I

was even accruing holiday days during the lockdown so wouldn't be a huge issue for me.

I guess it all depends on how to obtain a fit to fly certificate, how much the official

hotel costs and other hoops I may have to jump through before I would commit to

such a plan, I've been away far too long and see this as the only viable proposal

at the moment for a return.

11 hours ago, sotsira said:

Incorrect,

below is the quote from the OP, stating they have to stay in their hotel for 14 days.

"Once at the island of their choice they must stay in their quarantine hotel for 14 days, stay on the island and be subjected to further Covid-19 tests". 

Seems a bit ambiguous, surely if you stay in your quarantine hotel, you would be

staying on the island.

The way the quoted directive sounds is that you can leave the hotel as long as you

stay on the island, but perhaps I'm reading it wrong or something is lost in translation!