Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Thais hope 2 million foreign tourists will visit from year end to March, despite all the restrictions

webfact

They have no lost one long time tourist until they drop the 14 day quarantine. It's not worth the hassle or the money to be stuck in a hotel for 2 weeks and the idea of GPS tracking wristbands, no thanks.

I'm currently in Athens, it's hot, hovering around 35c, the food is pretty good, plenty of bars, only one downside the local girls are not as friendly 555

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

There are people who will be happy to do this.

They have a house here and usually come for a minimum of three months. Sometimes six months.

In the village where I live I know of 6, possibly 8 that would jump at the chance.

Just 1,999,992 to go

I have a house and home in the village too.

But this isn't going to get me to it.

It's another Gilligans island job.

You are on the island. 

My home is in Nangrong Buriram province. 

4 hours ago, Zikomat said:

When will they finally understand that their only hope in the current situation are the long time tourists (3 months at least). Only. Nobody else will agree to stay in 14 day quarantine. Why do they learn so slow?

We will get a look in eventually. 

They are scraping the bottom of the barrel already. 

As we long timers know, we usually stay most off the year.

Build homes, support the local community. 

Actually spent money. 

Why is it still so hard for these so called intelligent people to work it out?

No one is flying anywhere - especially Thailand. I am afraid to try and leave because I don't think I could get back in married or not. I am not on a marriage visa - and I don't want to attempt to show proof of marriage and my retirement visa to get back in... it sounds complicated from here, can't imagine how getting proper docs and insurance etc sounds from outside of Thailand. A million US dollars of insurance? Sure!

1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

Air drop?

But then we face the problem how to get them OFF the island once their quarantined holiday is over. Maybe winch them up up one by one to a hovering helicopter, huh?

By that time they've spent their money, so who cares - just shove them to the sea or something. Next!

16 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Will Puket immigration police be searching every expat to check they haven't escaped their quarantine? Better carry ID. I was plannign to drive down there in November...maybe not. 

I read one report saying passports would be taken off tourists (by who I'm not sure) and returned only after successful quarantine and final testing. After the 2 weeks resort quarantine and 1 extra week on the island, you'd get your passport back and be free to travel elsewhere in Thailand. 

8 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I would say that it is a very forlorn hope. Right now they can go many places in the world without having such measures, so why the hell would they agree in their millions to put up with such here?

Quite easy : if you want to have a longer holiday without corona there are as far as I know no other countries which can offer that. !!!

Some hope!!!!! The truth of this scam is out in the form of a documentary that has the largest viewing figures the world has ever seen, despite it being banned on FB and YouTube. Get the low down on bitchute. Plandemic and plandemic indoctrination. Maybe if some of the criminals are arrested we can get back to enjoying life. My friends who have come here every year and sometimes twice a year for the past 20 years have no intention of getting tested, providing paperwork and insurance, getting on a plane with a mask and being probed and tested like an animal and not get any proper food on a 13 hour flight only to be probed and screened on the Thai side again a quarentined for the full length of the holiday and pay for the governments restrictions! 

Who in government is living in La La land? My two daughters we going to visit me here for two weeks this year but that is definately off the cards for the forseeable future as the process is a nightmare. Tourism is a thing of the past with draconian restrictions like those imposed by most countries. 

Edited by Sumarianson
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Paiman said:

May be because 98% of Thais think their country is better than other countries - logic to follow, 98% of all international Tourists have only 1 dream - holidays in the promised land  -  Thailand.

Sometimes I think my jar of peanut butter in the cupboard has an higher IQ than these official Lurers.

shh..don't remind them of the ridiculous costs of imported food, or none of them will come.  fake wine, fake weed, counterfeit booze...would sound more like Hell, than a place to vacation to my friends, and most are close to 60.  1500 for ASQ?  Mai Krap.

2 hours ago, Dene16 said:

Don't like to put a dampener on your calculations but In high season Suvarnabhumi airport alone has 200,000 arrivals per day, so even allowing for Covid related spacing on planes this does not represent a problem

But Phuket and Samui airports don't.

Phuket has a max capacity of 19,000 a day - but obviously that won't be relevant if planes are only carrying half the passengers due to social distancing.

You seem to have overlooked the intention for foreigners to be flown direct to their islands of incarceration - excepting PiPi of course, which the government spokesman was too ignorant (of his own nation) to know about.

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I would find it pretty amazing if they would manage to get 200,000 in here lol.

I was thinking there might be 20,000 desperate enough to jump the hoops and pay out the cash.

But there probably aren't enough flights to even bring that many.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

There are people who will be happy to do this.

They have a house here and usually come for a minimum of three months. Sometimes six months.

In the village where I live I know of 6, possibly 8 that would jump at the chance.

Just 1,999,992 to go

Exactly right. We have a house and visit the wifes family for 3 months every year. Koh Samui is the closest to them and easy access. But, Thai locals, at least in her families area, dont want any tourists/travelers to come near them. They are very afraid so we will probably not go this year.

Edited by JJNThailand

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I was thinking there might be 20,000 desperate enough to jump the hoops and pay out the cash.

If the euro baht exchange continues as it does now there will surely be new suckers.

5 hours ago, Zikomat said:

When will they finally understand that their only hope in the current situation are the long time tourists (3 months at least). Only. Nobody else will agree to stay in 14 day quarantine. Why do they learn so slow?

True

they should put in place a special and easy 6 months ''covid visa'' 

you could have only one of these visa for each calendar period of 12 months 

(To avoid the use for an infinite stay on this visa) and no extension possible on it.

A minimum prove of income and insurance asked

to the candidate by the consulate or embassy before to deliver the visa and let's go,

I am sure a lot should be more than happy to do a 14 days quarantine

at they expenses if they are able after that to enjoy the 5 month and

2 weeks of freedom in Thailand, 

It should be a win\win situation

11 minutes ago, robsamui said:

Phuket has a max capacity of 19,000 a day - but obviously that won't be relevant if planes are only carrying half the passengers due to social distancing.

Are the current repatriation flights only carrying half the passengers now? 

It does make me laugh at present in Europe how only every 3rd seat in a departure lounge is available to sit on, yet on the plane where the seats are smaller, there are next to no spare seats at all. 

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Boeing 747s hold 660 passengers - but with social distancing let's assume that's reduced to 330 passengers. Therefore to make up the quota of 25,974 people per day, it would mean 79 flights PER DAY coming into 2 airports, assuming all 'planes were filled to safe-distancing-capacity.

That means one full-to-capacity Boeing 747 arriving every 18.22 minutes . . . for the best part of three months.

18.22 minutes into January 1st, there are 330 beaming tourists to cart off to their expensive 5-star government quarantine hotel. A further 18.22 minutes later into day 1, there's another 330 tourists to quarantine. And 18.22 minutes after that, another 'plane arrives with 330 more tourists in it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robsamui said:

Boeing 747s hold 660 passengers - but with social distancing let's assume that's reduced to 330 passengers. Therefore to make up the quota of 25,974 people per day, it would mean 79 flights PER DAY coming into 2 airports, assuming all 'planes were filled to safe-distancing-capacity.

That means one full-to-capacity Boeing 747 arriving every 18.22 minutes . . . for the best part of three months.

18.22 minutes into January 1st, there are 330 beaming tourists to cart off to their expensive 5-star government quarantine hotel. A further 18.22 minutes later into day 1, there's another 330 tourists to quarantine. And 18.22 minutes after that, another 'plane arrives with 330 more tourists in it.

And... if there were 330 passengers arriving every 18.22 minutes, a passenger needs to be processed every 3.3 seconds. Even with 10 immigration officers, that's 33 seconds per passenger, to show all of the required arrival documentation. 

And... transport to the hotels will largely be just one person per vehicle. So a vehicle picking up and departing every 3.3 seconds. The Mercedes F1 team don't even manage that. 

This article is less believable than a child's fairy tale...And they lived happily ever after.

And what happens to those tourists who "test positive"?  Additional prison sentence, hospitalization, transportation to a new prison island with more luxurious accomodations?

3 minutes ago, Mark Nothing said:

And what happens to those tourists who "test positive"?  Additional prison sentence, hospitalization, transportation to a new prison island with more luxurious accomodations?

I assume similar to those in ASQ hotels in Bangkok - if you test positive or even if you have a temperature of 37.5 degrees or more, you're taken directly to hospital. 

Whos is going to spend 2K to 3K staying cooped up in a hotel room. What is this guy smoking.

I have been trying to get back  to stay with my family in bangkok, lived there for 20 years, but I dont have 4 to 5K for all the BS. Covid check, before you board, covid check when you arrive by the moon people. Absolutely ridiculous. 

• Like 1

Ludicrous solution, quite frankly, that may only entice those rooted in LOS and desperate to get back.

The vast majority of people I know personally who go to SE Asia for their winter vacation - especially to relatively pricy destinations like Samui and Phuket - are working professionals.

Normally they can take no more than 3 weeks at a time off their job, plan the trip months in advance down to a T so there are no surprises as far as the itinerary and major expenses go.  

This will be a laugh and a hard pass for them.