Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I have yet to find a Michelin dealer under the motorcycle section of Michelin's website in Nakhon Sawan; however, there's some 4 fairly close together that I'm going to hit up and try and get a pair of the 100/80 - 17 since the CBR is fairly agile and I doubt it would lose much by getting that set.

Hi, I am new to this and new to bikes! Hoping to get a CBR150 in a couple months (have to organise a work visa so i can get a thai licence). Are bike tyres the same as car tyres; so if you go up one size in width you have to go down in wall height to keep the same rolling diameter? Since the standard rear tyre is 100/80-17, would you have to go to a 110/70-17? Anyway i am going to be asking a lot more stupid questions in the near future! Love the forum. Ride safe!

Hi, i did check this up... you can get a Driver License for bike if you have a Tourist Visa ! . . . This is working at Pattaya Trafic office . . . maybe not all over the country.

Thanks for the info. Supposed to have left the country but seems to be a small problem at Bkk airport. :o Since i don't have anything better to do, i might check it out. Who knows, Thai officials might have to start being nice to farangs!

Any news on Honda releasing a 250 in Thailand? The honda big-bike site still only has 'Coming soon' on their products page, not that i am sure what big-bike' means in Thailand!

Hmm, I have yet to find a Michelin dealer under the motorcycle section of Michelin's website in Nakhon Sawan; however, there's some 4 fairly close together that I'm going to hit up and try and get a pair of the 100/80 - 17 since the CBR is fairly agile and I doubt it would lose much by getting that set.

Hi, I am new to this and new to bikes! Hoping to get a CBR150 in a couple months (have to organise a work visa so i can get a thai licence). Are bike tyres the same as car tyres; so if you go up one size in width you have to go down in wall height to keep the same rolling diameter? Since the standard rear tyre is 100/80-17, would you have to go to a 110/70-17? Anyway i am going to be asking a lot more stupid questions in the near future! Love the forum. Ride safe!

Hi, i did check this up... you can get a Driver License for bike if you have a Tourist Visa ! . . . This is working at Pattaya Trafic office . . . maybe not all over the country.

Thanks for the info. Supposed to have left the country but seems to be a small problem at Bkk airport. :o Since i don't have anything better to do, i might check it out. Who knows, Thai officials might have to start being nice to farangs!

Any news on Honda releasing a 250 in Thailand? The honda big-bike site still only has 'Coming soon' on their products page, not that i am sure what big-bike' means in Thailand!

Rumour has it that either the VTR250 or the CB*250 is going to come.  The CB*250 is an old school (air cooled DOHC) thumper (single cylinder).  The VTR250 is a more modern (liquid cooled DOHC) Vee-Twin in a package that is reminiscent of the Ducati Monster.  Power is down on both compared to the Ninja 250; the CB*250 by some 11 HP or so and the VTR250 by just a sneeze or so .  There's also talk that Honda may dust off their CBR 250RR bike, which back in the day was the machine.  That's a 4 cylinder design, DOHC driven by gear with 45 BHP output, which if they're able to recreate would demolish Kawasaki's current offering.

Honda VTR

20167_0_1_2_vtr%20250_Image%20by%20Honda.%20Published%20with%20permission..jpg

Honda CBF 250

20438_0_1_2_cb%20250_Image%20credits%20-%20cbx%2025%20twister%20-%20Rodrigo%20Mateus%20-%20Brazil.jpg

CBR 250RR

23857_0_1_2_cbr%20250%20rr_Submitted%20by%20anonymous%20user..jpg

I would be doubtful of the likely hood because any release of a 250cc will make the cost of the bike in the 100K plus price bracket and that limits its domestic market.

The Thai law (unless it has changed) still limits the bike capacity to 200cc. This means any larger capacity such as 250cc is an import and heavily taxed and limited in numbers.

CB

Yep, if Honda update the CBR250RR, put it into production and sell it in Thailand then I’ll probably be at the front of the queue (assuming the 600's don't arrive at realistic price levels first). The older models were great bikes and if they weren’t 10-15 years old and on dodgy green books then I’d probably have one as a fun bike. Even though the NSR150SP is the better budget option and I’m a closet 2 stroke junkie, I do like those screaming 4 cylinders.

I really hope Honda go ahead with the new 250RR. If it ever materializes my baby Ninja will be at least 3 years old so it could be perfect timing.

My personal experience/opinion of Honda bikes is that they are generally bullet-proof but un-inspiring when compared to the other bikes in their class. Having said that, the VTR250 looks quite nice for fans of un-faired bikes. Like most things in Thailand though, I’ll believe it when I see it.

I would be doubtful of the likely hood because any release of a 250cc will make the cost of the bike in the 100K plus price bracket and that limits its domestic market.

I think you worry too much.  While I doubt that they could get say the CBR 250RR in a price competitive bracket with the Ninja (I'd assume you'd be looking closer to the 200K THB mark), the VTR250 is going to be approximately the same price, and at current exchange rates the CB*250 is actually just a bit more expensive then the CBR 150R.  I do agree that it is essentially priced out of the local market at well over 100K, but you need a flagship model to divert people's attention from competitors.  While there are many who'd like a ZX-14, most of the people who flock to Kawasaki in the States actually get a Ninja 250....for example.  Also, it's a well known fact that the Japanese Big 4 produce those large bikes at a loss, just for the spill-over allure that they offer to the rest of their product line.  Maybe something of the sort would happen to a "large" bike in Thailand?

The Thai law (unless it has changed) still limits the bike capacity to 200cc. This means any larger capacity such as 250cc is an import and heavily taxed and limited in numbers.

The law you're remembering has changed.  And while it didn't strictly limit the capacity to 200, it charged an exorbtitan tax for the pleasure of riding a big bike, thus essentially doing the same thing.  Also, 250's are reasonably affordable, you can get a Tiger Boxer for a hair more than a CBR 150R, or get a Kawasaki Ninja for almost what you'd pay for one in the States.

CB

I think you worry too much. While I doubt that they could get say the CBR 250RR in a price competitive bracket with the Ninja (I'd assume you'd be looking closer to the 200K THB mark), the VTR250 is going to be approximately the same price, and at current exchange rates the CB*250 is actually just a bit more expensive then the CBR 150R. I do agree that it is essentially priced out of the local market at well over 100K, but you need a flagship model to divert people's attention from competitors. While there are many who'd like a ZX-14, most of the people who flock to Kawasaki in the States actually get a Ninja 250....for example. Also, it's a well known fact that the Japanese Big 4 produce those large bikes at a loss, just for the spill-over allure that they offer to the rest of their product line. Maybe something of the sort would happen to a "large" bike in Thailand?

The law you're remembering has changed. And while it didn't strictly limit the capacity to 200, it charged an exorbtitan tax for the pleasure of riding a big bike, thus essentially doing the same thing. Also, 250's are reasonably affordable, you can get a Tiger Boxer for a hair more than a CBR 150R, or get a Kawasaki Ninja for almost what you'd pay for one in the States.

CB

You'd think Honda would have to match the Ninja on price and performance. Something around B100k would be nice, but it would probably be a bit sluggish. What about dropping a 250 engine in the 150?! Should be easy for the factory to do and keep the price down but will it improve performance by much?

Anyway it has become a mute point for me at the moment as i bought Crowboy's Repsol today! I hope it gives me a year or 2 of faithfully service as it did Crowboy.

What a fun day i had today! Had to go to Chonburi Dept of Transport to transfer the bike with half a rainforest of paper work. And that was transferring it into a Thai name, i can only assume i would've needed to take the other half of the rainforest if i wanted it in my name. Next bike will be a new one, a lot less trouble if a dealer does it! Ohh, because it is from another province I couldn't do it at the Pattaya office and it will take three working days before it is transferred and then the bike has to go to the Chonburi office for a visual on the VIN (chassis number)! My woman is not impressed as she had to go personally (as it is in her name) and lost a day's wages! At least she was sweet enough to do it and not complain too much!

To top it off AirAsia pulled the plug on my flight out on the 5th Dec and next available is the 7th. I've only been waiting since the 26th Nov! The icing is they had a flight out of Utapao today and didn't tell me about it, even though i asked yesterday!

I suppose it gives me time to polish up the bike! Crowboy's dent in the tank is on the wrong side for me, not that i am wishing to make an impression - so to speak.

As a novice rider i like the CBR150, it is a lot easier to ride than the woman's scooter. Any news on those Michellins Allan?

No mate, i didnt have time today hopefully tmorro. i will text him see if he answers with the info lol

Got my partner to call the local Michellin tyre dealer in Nakluea. They took all day but they did get back to her, so obviously they must have talked to HQ! :o Can't do the 110/80 rears, they can do the Mich Pilot Sporty 90/80 front for B1,500 and 100/80 rear for B1,800. I dropped into a couple of Honda dealers and they rang Michellin (not sure where) and said 'mai mee!' for the 110/80. But the link

for Michellin Thailand catalog in the Ninja Forum clearly states a 110/80! http://www.michelin.co.th/eng/tyre_catalog/Bigbike2008.pdf

Anyway, when i get back from China (very optimistic that AirAsia is not gonna stuff me around me anymore!!!) if we can't get the 110/80 then i will have to go for the smaller set up. Even those have gotta be a huge improvement on the IRCs.

yes they will be alot better. what is so funny is that they recommend the 110/80 as fitment on the cbr125 in the UK. they are just typical of thai business in that they dont ask the questions or they say no one will want it. its so bloody frustrating. And still no answer. Allan

yes they will be alot better. what is so funny is that they recommend the 110/80 as fitment on the cbr125 in the UK. they are just typical of thai business in that they dont ask the questions or they say no one will want it. its so bloody frustrating. And still no answer. Allan

No sweat, yeah anything outta the ordinary and you get blank stares. And a smile of course, which always makes me smile and go 'mai bpen rai!' The set of IRC on the bike must be about 2 years olds and not much tread left, so even a new set of IRC would be better. :D Hopefully we will get some info soon! lol But long weekend now, maybe next week.

Starting to get the feel of the bike, still only going for short jaunts around Pattaya to gain confidence. Getting used to the traffic and trying to second guess the unexpected road behaviour. I know, waste of time and brain energy! Still don't like going down the left hand side of moving traffic, rather go down the middle. At least going down the middle there is a lot less traffic coming the other way; compared to the left hand side! :o

What's the go with Crowboy being reduced from a super moderator?

Ok its a big NO on the Michelin Pilot Sporty 110/80-17 rear but you can get 90/80-17 front and 100/80-17 rear from this guy 02223789 (ask about the 110/80-17 rear)

AND they are SO much better than the IRC will cost about 3,000 a set. so about double the price but 500% better.

Allan

Ok its a big NO on the Michelin Pilot Sporty 110/80-17 rear but you can get 90/80-17 front and 100/80-17 rear from this guy 02223789 (ask about the 110/80-17 rear)

AND they are SO much better than the IRC will cost about 3,000 a set. so about double the price but 500% better.

Allan

Got the phone number bookmarked. It's my understanding that it's 3 000 THB for both tyres right?

Allan

Got the phone number bookmarked. It's my understanding that it's 3 000 THB for both tyres right?

Thanks Allan, just got back yesterday. Found a bike shop that seems to do nice work on Soi Naklua, have organised a set through them for 2,500. 80 Baht per tyre to fit. She mentioned that there was Dunlop in 110/80-17 but i didn't get a price. Gonna get them to service the bike and do some paint work also.

yer the DUNLOP is a tt900gp i think. nice sticky tyres but not radial. 2.500 is a good price do they English if so post up a number or full address.

allan

The mechanic (Te) doesn't speak english but the woman looking after the place speaks reasonable english. It looks like they do show bikes and seem to know what they are talking about (i say 'seem' as i don't have a clue!) The address is 115/27 Naklua Rd Pattaya Phone 086-5677500 085-9444308. If you head from Pattaya (Dolphin round-about) along Soi Naklua (about 3-4 kms), past Soi 12 or 14 (there is a 7-Eleven just before the Soi) on your left then about another 100 meters on the right is the bike shop. It is 2 doors down from the I.M.F. restaurant, which has great Thai food!

I'm gonna drop the bike off next Tuesday and leave it with them for a week or so and will let you know what the work is like. Decided to change the carby, exhaust and rear sprocket (4000 Baht), get some paint work done, a service and the Michelins. Didn't want to spend so much money but then decided i wanted the bike right if i am going to keep it. A mate just bought a CB400 and will leave it with me when he goes back to Australia in 3 months for long spell, so that should do for when i want a dose of more power!

I had a Dunlop 90/80 on my earlier CBR150, on the front, and never had seen such a dramatic improvement in a tire change in all my life. I plan to swap the IRC's for Dunlops, front and rear, when the rear wears down. The bike only has 3,800 km now. Of course, the Dunlop is not a radial, but is tubeless.

What carby they putting on? also what make down pipe, avoid the welded section tksukgi they are crap they resonate like mad and i broke 2 in 4 weeks.

Also make sure if they change the muffler they get one with a 'DB noise KILLER' cos the DBS and endurance muffler's are NOISY. so noisy i even got stopped by the BIB in my home town with him telling me its 'dang dang' and thats the 1st time in 3 years here.

you have been warned :o

What carby they putting on? also what make down pipe, avoid the welded section tksukgi they are crap they resonate like mad and i broke 2 in 4 weeks.

Also make sure if they change the muffler they get one with a 'DB noise KILLER' cos the DBS and endurance muffler's are NOISY. so noisy i even got stopped by the BIB in my home town with him telling me its 'dang dang' and thats the 1st time in 3 years here.

you have been warned :D

Hi. , about the DB-Killer. . . aseamoto has them in stock now ! . . . i just ordered my Full System Racing Exhaust from Nuk Modify "N.M.F" in carbon/kevlar . .

just 4500 THB . . And a Racing open Air filter . . i will get a review later on . . 1.5weeks manufacturing time. Next stop is the N.M.F Racing CDI . And Denso Coil .

Hopefully after new exhaust and air filter i will come up to 160km/h . . After the 200cc kit it will fly to 200km/h .... :o in about 6month my bike is full Option .

Edited by oMega69

you have been warned :o

Thanks for the heads-up. I won't know the brands until they get the parts in, she couldn't give me the names at the time. I stressed several times i want a quiet exhaust, but will have to wait til i see it; it is the LOS after all!

What are some good carbs to use?

The shop is the same place that Moo9 mentioned in post #321

Richco Motorsports in Chiangmai had the Michelin Sport Pilots for me the next day from BKK.

I have a polished (but noisy) Endurance pipe and 28mm Kehin PE28 flat slide carb with the necessary throttle, and air filter for sale. Both used about 2 hours until the obnoxious noise got to me.

5500 B

you have been warned :D

Hi. , about the DB-Killer. . . aseamoto has them in stock now ! . . . i just ordered my Full System Racing Exhaust from Nuk Modify "N.M.F" in carbon/kevlar . .

just 4500 THB . . And a Racing open Air filter . . i will get a review later on . . 1.5weeks manufacturing time. Next stop is the N.M.F Racing CDI . And Denso Coil .

Hopefully after new exhaust and air filter i will come up to 160km/h . . After the 200cc kit it will fly to 200km/h .... :D in about 6month my bike is full Option .

Sounds a great set up, i am jealous. I am now worried that i'll be getting what i pay for! If gear is not right i'd rather spend more. I definitely want a quiet exhaust, even though these old ears are getting hard of hearing, i don't want the BIB to sniff around.

Regarding the Denso coil, could i fit that without upgrading the CDI? I am after a stronger spark but don't want to lose the rev limiter (the engine has 44k on it).

Does anyone have any advice on a suitable mesh jacket for LOS? Was wondering about the pro & cons between the synthetic and leather mesh jackets. I am going to get a pair of Kevlar lined jeans and a decent helmet back in Aust; hope i don't fall off the <deleted> bike before then! :o

Richco Motorsports in Chiangmai had the Michelin Sport Pilots for me the next day from BKK.

I have a polished (but noisy) Endurance pipe and 28mm Kehin PE28 flat slide carb with the necessary throttle, and air filter for sale. Both used about 2 hours until the obnoxious noise got to me.

5500 B

Correction that is a genuine, made in Japan, PWK flat slide not the cheaper PE round slide.

5500 B

Hog Head: What size did you get and how is the handling after the change? Also, where is Richo Motorsports? (Sorry for all the questions!)

We just got back from a 700 KM run up to Doi Tung, Mae Fa Luang, Doi Angkhan, Mae Salong and a couple of other places and my tires are about done in. The little 150 mill sure did a fine job.

...steveyk949, going with a 120/80 tyre will get you 153 km/h(15 tooth), 163 km/h(16 tooth), or 174 km/h (17 tooth). This is of course assuming stock rear sprocket, 11 500 RPM tops, etc. So going larger on the front sprocket and smaller on the rear will increase top end at some expense to acceleration. Unfortunately the CBR 150R came with a 44 tooth rear sprocket and I have yet to find any replacements* with FEWER teeth than that, so the best we owners can do is to change the front to increase our top end.

*my sister in law works for a company that has an EDM. Basically it's a milling machine that uses arc welder technology to 'burn' away the shape from electrically conductive material. If there was enough demand, I could probably order some custom sprockets from her company...

Hi dave_boo. Its quite surprising to hear about the abundance of front sprockets that will fit the CBR over yonder. Here is zilch and nobody ever heard of CBR front sprockets. If we want one of those, we order it and its VERY EXPENSIVE. Some goto machine shops and have one fabricated or alter a locally existing one to-fit. One thing we got a lot of are 'rear sprockets'. As you mentioned, they are quite scarce there. We got choices of 38T, 42T, 45T, 48T, and some 51T. They're not specially made for CBR150 but they do fit quite well. I have mine with a 48T ..though it killed some of my top end, i get a good dirt-bike acceleration in traffic of 0-100kph. I cruise at 100kph @ 8-8.5k rpm in top gear. I'd change to a 46T only if i did a lot of riding in the rural areas -which is not very often. IMO, the stock 15-44 combination simply banks on 'rpm' to give the bike its zip -which is i think rather too weak.