Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

The only changes I'm going to make is to get K&N air filter, and switch to Mobile Synthetic, and add a few Honda accessories, such as the tank bags. Other than that, for resale purposes, when I get ready to do that, I'll get a better price if it's "stock".

On something of a side note, last night one of our neighbors came down with her son to look at the bike. She told my wife that every since her son saw mine, he has been begging her to buy him one, saying he would even give his car up for one. He asked if he could drive mine and my wife laughed and told him I don't let anyone drive my CBR's, including her and our 27 yr old son, who is one of the most responsible people I've ever met.. Not my old one, and definitely not the new one. Mom finally told her son that when Khun Dean buys a new one, I'll buy his for you. I laughed and told her she'd probably have to wait about 3 years for that to happen. He wasn't exactly happy about that, but said "ok".

Personally, I think getting this kid a CBR would be an invitation to disaster. He's 18, heavyset, and from conversations with him in the past (he speaks some English), my impression is that he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer and told my wife that if he get's one, he'll be dead or seriously injured within a month.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love to see the scientific physics explanation how the differeing exhaust makes the bike more stable???

I've no idea, would guess that the bigger flow causes less stress on the engine (the air not getting out quick enough before?)

I suspect its more stable .....because actually going slower.

Actually not. Cruising in the outside lane with the minivans at 140kph with perfect stability and feel from the engine.

This wasn't the case before.

Cheers chaps.

Dominic.

Edited by appropriate

Hi guys

I've been to look at several CBR 150's around CM dealers and they seem to offer different service packages: Haew Kaew Road, (81,000 bht)

but 5 services but mahidol road only 1 service(77.500)

Do they actually service the bike or just change the oil? An oil change can only be a few hundred baht right?

Also some confusion to the warrenty :3 years on the engine, 5 years on fuel injection.... so whats warranty on the rest of the bike if any.

Can anyone confirm what they got, how long for, how much extra if any etc.

Im seriously considering and yes they look great especially in tri-colour or red.... the black looked dirty even in the showrooms!

Love to see the scientific physics explanation how the differeing exhaust makes the bike more stable???

I've no idea, would guess that the bigger flow causes less stress on the engine (the air not getting out quick enough before?)

I suspect its more stable .....because actually going slower.

Actually not. Cruising in the outside lane with the minivans at 140kph with perfect stability and feel from the engine.

This wasn't the case before.

Cheers chaps.

Dominic.

Hi guys

I've been to look at several CBR 150's around CM dealers and they seem to offer different service packages: Haew Kaew Road, (81,000 bht)

Do they actually service the bike or just change the oil? An oil change can only be a few hundred baht right?

Also some confusion to the warrenty :3 years on the engine, 5 years on fuel injection.... so whats warranty on the rest of the bike if any.

Im seriously considering and yes they look great especially in tri-colour or red.... the black looked dirty even in the showrooms!

my experience with Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki is that they only change oil on the scheduled services. Some of them pump up the tyres, but with no gauge, so you must check pressure after service anyway. Suppose the new 150 comes with maintancefree battery, so what is left to check is lightbulbs/brakeswitches which I do every week anyway

Engine 3 years, injection 5 years, and most of the rest isnt covered. On Kawasaki 650 I know some guys have got new chain and sprockets on warranty on the first production run. Some corroded aluminum parts on my 2010 where not covered after one year, but as mirror and some other parts cost 800 baht (on a 260k bike), I chose to shut up.

I would go for the lowest price dealer, and not worry about maintaince/repair costs. It is cheap. and yepp, oilchange less than 200 baht.:)

Hi guys

my experience with Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki and Suzuki is that they only change oil on the scheduled services. Some of them pump up the tyres, but with no gauge, so you must check pressure after service anyway. Suppose the new 150 comes with maintancefree battery, so what is left to check is lightbulbs/brakeswitches which I do every week anyway

Engine 3 years, injection 5 years, and most of the rest isnt covered. On Kawasaki 650 I know some guys have got new chain and sprockets on warranty on the first production run. Some corroded aluminum parts on my 2010 where not covered after one year, but as mirror and some other parts cost 800 baht (on a 260k bike), I chose to shut up.

I would go for the lowest price dealer, and not worry about maintaince/repair costs. It is cheap. and yepp, oilchange less than 200 baht.:)

thanks for that katabeachbum.... I figured the oil change was cheap enuff but service packages varied?...so now just the colour ..ermmm TRI or Red ?

Cragzdee, would you mind not quoting post while adding no comments of your own. Just a post containing quotes.

Thanks.

Dominic.

hi sorry dominic bit sleepy here today. Can I ask... did u get the exhaust and KnN in CM...If so can u Pm me the details

thanks

nope, im the guy that said, reducing exhaust velocity wont get you more power...and no one to date has been able to prove me wrong in regards to the cbr 150's exhaust system.

learn how to downshift yet?

I'm sorry that you aren't able to wrap your mind around the fact that while the velocity of the stock exhaust running within EPA/EU/THAI standards is in fact going to be faster in a smaller pipe, those who modify their bikes to produce more power and thus by necessity go outside the rules that confine a manufacturer hoping to sell their bikes in emission regulated economies are not terribly concerned about the said emissions standards. Thus the volumetric efficiency that is defined to work wonderfully with those relatively low flowing stock bikes is a major barrier to a freer flowing bike that the owners build up.

Your asinine quip about shifting shows the breadth of your understanding and exactly why thaicbr, who loves to argue more than I, gave up trying to reason with you. Thus I shall leave you to your apparent megalomaniacal delusions of intelligence and bid you chok dee.

What he has is more noise and vibrations due to untuned resonance pulses. hence the "sensation " of increased performance and the extra vibratioon loosened the nuts.

I suspect its more stable .....because actually going slower.:blink:

But we are all entitled to "play" with our bikes and alter in whatever way we feel suits us as an individual.

I'm going to go out on a limb and agree with you here. I'm sure that Honda ran their pipe design through a simulation and found the optimal parameters for the best overall design. I'm assuming that the gentleman in question did not buy a Yoshi or other name brand exhaust, but rather an exhaust tuned for a certain powerband (probably rather crudely at that). And I'd bet dollars to doughnuts (not as bad of a bet anymore :whistling: ) that the exhaust is tuned for the top most end and probably has quite a bit of a 'stumble' in the low to midrange. While this quality matters little to a race bike, on the streets it could exhibit the symptoms mentioned earlier.

Remember that tuned length is being explored all over the powertrain. The power valves in the 2T bikes. The variable valve timing with the variable lift. The variable lenght intake tracts. ETC.

What he has is more noise and vibrations due to untuned resonance pulses. hence the "sensation " of increased performance and the extra vibratioon loosened the nuts.

But we are all entitled to "play" with our bikes and alter in whatever way we feel suits us as an individual.

I'm going to go out on a limb and agree with you here. I'm sure that Honda ran their pipe design through a simulation and found the optimal parameters for the best overall design. I'm assuming that the gentleman in question did not buy a Yoshi or other name brand exhaust, but rather an exhaust tuned for a certain powerband (probably rather crudely at that). And I'd bet dollars to doughnuts (not as bad of a bet anymore :whistling: ) that the exhaust is tuned for the top most end and probably has quite a bit of a 'stumble' in the low to midrange. While this quality matters little to a race bike, on the streets it could exhibit the symptoms mentioned earlier.

Remember that tuned length is being explored all over the powertrain. The power valves in the 2T bikes. The variable valve timing with the variable lift. The variable lenght intake tracts. ETC.

Almost certainly true, usually to get around restrictive exhaust noise regulations. These are invariably a roll-on test at half peak revs over a given distance.

Easiest way around it is to 'engineer' in a slight mis range flat spot so the bike doesn't rev too quickly.

As an aside on Japanese pipe design I once knew a guy who built a fantastic megaphone system for a Honda four to go racing. It produced the same power as the original quiet pipe and needed substantial development to get even a modest gain.

Honda, with one of the worlds leading motor tuning development divisions, would I presume, be able to arrive at the best overall performance result more so than "somchai" at the local corner bike shop. Also of course keeping in mind the ever strangling emmissions regulations.

While I havent put a micrometer on it...so could be wrong, eyeballing the new 150...it has the same size outlet pipe. That tells me it must be right for the engine output.

If it was too small or borderline before...surely they would have upped the size to suit??? Afterall, the new version engine does produce more HP....as a layman, that tells me there is more output volume of gasses to get rid of??

But if u get pleasure with playing and changing......go for it. Adds to the Thai economy.

Does enyone know if they check or adjust the valves on the 1000km service on Cbr150r?

On my Cbr 1000rr the first valve check was much later, but on my Yamaha Wr450 the manual says 5 hours or 500km for the valve check.

Why i ask is because i have drive about 200km with the Cbr150 and can start hear a little clapping sound from the valves??

And one question more, have anyone of you with the new Cbr150 hear a high frequent sound from the PGI?

Does enyone know if they check or adjust the valves on the 1000km service on Cbr150r?

On my Cbr 1000rr the first valve check was much later, but on my Yamaha Wr450 the manual says 5 hours or 500km for the valve check.

Why i ask is because i have drive about 200km with the Cbr150 and can start hear a little clapping sound from the valves??

And one question more, have anyone of you with the new Cbr150 hear a high frequent sound from the PGI?

I got the manual here in front of me. Checking the valves is scheduled for "every 24,000 km" and not scheduled for the 1000 km service. Having said that, they wouldn't do it unless you told them to. As an earlier poster said, most garages will do nothing more than an oil change unless specifically instructed.

What Honda dealer has them for sale at the advertised price of 75,900?

Lowest I've heard is 78,000 in BKK.

Think I might buy one as my commute has changed to involve less city driving and more highway.

Cheers chaps.

Dominic.

I bought mine from Mit Yon for 75,500. My mate also bought his from Mit Yon but he asked for a discount and got his for 75,000 on the nose. :bah::angry::realangry:

Ok, I’m feeling a bit foolish. I bought the first tri-color sold in Chiang Mai, paying 72,900 for it, and now also wrecked the first tri-color. On Monday my wife and I were coming home from San Kamphaeng, with her leading the way on her one-of-a-kind customized Honda Scoopy, which she likes to drive at 85 & 90 on the highway most of the time. Coming through BoSang we had to slow down, naturally, and as we approached the stop light at highway 121 she decided to speed up in order to make the light, with me doing likewise. It was still green at the time. But then things went crazy.

Light went from green to red – NO YELLOW AT ALL – (not the first time that’s happened at this intersection). I’m behind and slight to the left of her, and had just started to move to the right when she hits her breaks. My left handlebar and left hand slammed into her carry box on the back, actually shattering a large hole in it, not to mention spraining the hell out of my fingers on that hand, and down I went. Since I was only doing about 35kph, there wasn’t any serious damage to the bike. Broke off the clutch lever and bent the foot shifter, some minor scratches on the exhaust cover and one small chip out of the faring that’s hardly noticeable.

As for me, I was wearing the brand new REAL full helmet, which suffered some scratches to the face shield, and my Honda racing jacket with the protective pads, and heavy jeans, so all I ended up with were some jammed fingers on the left hand, slight sprain to the right ankle, and small abrasion on my left knee.

I got up, picked the bike up and pushed it into the parking lot of Louis Silverware, and then got on back of Scoopy to come home. Wife was scared there might be something wrong with me so after coming home, we took the car and went to the hospital. I’m fine.

She called Honda and they sent a truck to get the CBR to take it in for repairs, but said it would probably be Monday, as they don’t have any parts in stock yet and would have to order the new clutch handle and cable, and shifter lever, from BKK.

Ohhhh, welllll. Sheet happens. The main thing is, I’m fine, bike will be fine, and life is still good. :lol:

Glad u ok Just1Voice, but wasn't that u who talked about good luck birth day colors? Maybe u picked the wrong color :D I suggest to ride straight to the next temple after u picked it from the garage and get it blessed by monks.

Chok dee krup

Hili.

Actually, after buying the bike the FIRST place we went was to the temple. That's a MUST with my wife. lol Anyway, my wife thinks it's her fault because first she accelerated and then hit the brakes, leaving no way for me to get past her, and said she'll pay for the repairs out of her salary from NYL Insurance. So it's all good.

:whistling:

Sorry to hear of your spill J1V....Glad wasnt too serious and no major damage to you or the bike.

maybe the tricolour and blessing etc was what saved further damage??

Hope your'e riding again soon, but maybe later than you hoped as next week is the Kings Birthday holiday etc??

Ok, I'm feeling a bit foolish. I bought the first tri-color sold in Chiang Mai, paying 72,900 for it, and now also wrecked the first tri-color. On Monday my wife and I were coming home from San Kamphaeng, with her leading the way on her one-of-a-kind customized Honda Scoopy, which she likes to drive at 85 & 90 on the highway most of the time. Coming through BoSang we had to slow down, naturally, and as we approached the stop light at highway 121 she decided to speed up in order to make the light, with me doing likewise. It was still green at the time. But then things went crazy.

Light went from green to red – NO YELLOW AT ALL – (not the first time that's happened at this intersection). I'm behind and slight to the left of her, and had just started to move to the right when she hits her breaks. My left handlebar and left hand slammed into her carry box on the back, actually shattering a large hole in it, not to mention spraining the hell out of my fingers on that hand, and down I went. Since I was only doing about 35kph, there wasn't any serious damage to the bike. Broke off the clutch lever and bent the foot shifter, some minor scratches on the exhaust cover and one small chip out of the faring that's hardly noticeable.

As for me, I was wearing the brand new REAL full helmet, which suffered some scratches to the face shield, and my Honda racing jacket with the protective pads, and heavy jeans, so all I ended up with were some jammed fingers on the left hand, slight sprain to the right ankle, and small abrasion on my left knee.

I got up, picked the bike up and pushed it into the parking lot of Louis Silverware, and then got on back of Scoopy to come home. Wife was scared there might be something wrong with me so after coming home, we took the car and went to the hospital. I'm fine.

She called Honda and they sent a truck to get the CBR to take it in for repairs, but said it would probably be Monday, as they don't have any parts in stock yet and would have to order the new clutch handle and cable, and shifter lever, from BKK.

Ohhhh, welllll. Sheet happens. The main thing is, I'm fine, bike will be fine, and life is still good. :lol:

ouch, good to hear u are ok!

I myself did everything wrong when i was to park in patong today, parking in a little slope and getting of on the right side, causing the bike to fall and causing 1 other scooter to fall domino style.... both bikes where fine except from a little scratch on my right side mirror.... but very emberassing nonetheless....:P

What Honda dealer has them for sale at the advertised price of 75,900?

Lowest I've heard is 78,000 in BKK.

Think I might buy one as my commute has changed to involve less city driving and more highway.

Cheers chaps.

Dominic.

In chaing mai all below have them for sure niyom panich @ 77,500....not too sure about Sasa Panich?

Niyom Panich, on Mahidol Road going to Airport

62 Mahidol , Muang, ChiangMai, 50200,

Sasa Panich, north on Chotana, across from Rama 9 park

Nat Honda Dealer (see Nuch ) on left side Huay Kaew Rd towards zoo, before Canal Road (good sevice dept )

honda Dealer NE, near McCormick Hospital

Honda near pantip on chang klan road

J1V

Sorry about yer accident. Admire your candor. You have revealed two truths:

If red is unlucky, keep it to a minimum.

There is such a thing as (sometimes) being too close to our wives.

Hope to spot you around town before other red, white, and blues hit the road.

ASIDE

It seems to me that above discussions have ignored a principle of motorcycle physics:

The louder the bike, the faster it goes. Actually, this is motorcycle gospel.

Edited by CMX

I'm a bit surprised that Honda couldnt at least pick up the performance stakes a little bit with this bike. Certainly looks sharp but now its even porkier :bah: .

I guess the performance replacement for the CBR150 is going to be the CBR250? too bad