Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

on the 150 i would stick with the standard sizes.. but have a better grippier tyres like the MIchelin pilot sporty's :D

why can't we not install wider tires? wouldn't that offer a larger contact area (more grip)?

the tyre sizes are about optimum for the power of the bike and also for the wheel size. So its better to get gripper tyres not just wider ones.

The Michelins were fantastic on the old cbr150.. downside is they only last about 8,000km's :D

on the 150 i would stick with the standard sizes.. but have a better grippier tyres like the MIchelin pilot sporty's :D

why can't we not install wider tires? wouldn't that offer a larger contact area (more grip)?

the tyre sizes are about optimum for the power of the bike and also for the wheel size. So its better to get gripper tyres not just wider ones.

The Michelins were fantastic on the old cbr150.. downside is they only last about 8,000km's :D

I agree a wider tyres on the small Cbr150 is a waste.

I have no problems to get the knee on the ground with the stock tires with out loose the grip....why change?

Wider tyres just destroy the handle of the bike. ...rather go for a smaller one.

By the way, the oem chain sucks on the cbr...have to adjust every 200km:(

Ok..go for a Michelin race tyres give you 1-2 sec on the race track but wasted money on the road.

If the stock tires have the right temperatures there is no problem to do a nice slide with the knees is in rain.

For sure the front suspension will give up before the tires on the small cbr150.....

When i push my bike on the track i have no problems with the rear wheel but the front loose the grip many times and i am pretty sure the suspension is the prob not the tyre.

Sorry for my bad english...

Edited by deemon

I put on a set of Pirellis one size up from standard. Took me a while to get used to the different handling characteristics but found them better for grip than the std IRCs. Much more stable at higher speeds and less tramlining in road grooves.

I got 32000km from the original IRCs almost down to the wear indicator. The Pirellis have now done 15000km and due for replacement. From memory about 3400 Baht for the pair.

Except for track use (which I dont do) I would find it hard to stomach only 8000km from a set of tyres as I do over 3000km per month.

what pirellis??????

To clarify, it is 2009 model .

The Pirellis are MT75 110/80/17 and 90/80/17 The rear tyre only just fitted when new and in fact touched at the front of the wishbone until I checked and let some of the 70psi out of the tyre!! (fitted by a Honda dealer)

Being a larger circumference (upped the gearing) dropped the revs by approx 500 at 100kph (speedo) which now reads closer to true because of the larger front also.

Of course also dropped the acceleration slightly but still ok in my opinion. And even now at 38.14 per litre 91 I do 100km on 100 baht something like 2.62l per 100km. (but no hard acceleration to achieve that hehe)

I got 32000km from the original IRCs almost down to the wear indicator. The Pirellis have now done 15000km and due for replacement. From memory about 3400 Baht for the pair.

I would find it hard to stomach only 8000km from a set of tyres as I do over 3000km per month.

I was up to about 10,000km on my Michelin Sporties and still had a few 1000km left in them. Easily up to 12k km.

They cost 2,100 a pair at a Honda dealer. 110 rear, 90 front.

Your Pirellies at 3400b for only 15-16,000 km are more expensive.

2,100b every 4 months. Or 3,400 every 5 months.

Cheers chaps.

Edited by appropriate

I would find it hard to stomach only 8000km from a set of tyres as I do over 3000km per month.

I was up to about 10,000km on my Michelin Sporties and still had a few 1000km left in them. Easily up to 12k km.

Cheers chaps.

Domenic.. when you get time can you find out how much they do the correct size pilot sporty's for the new 150 for...thanks :D

Cheers chaps.

You must be a light rider. I've put on a new Sporty on the rear three times now and never over 7000 km. The front replaced after 9000 km. We ride two up a lot with a fair amount of mountain time. I'm not putting on any more Sporty's on as they don't seem very puncture resistant.

You must be a light rider. I've put on a new Sporty on the rear three times now and never over 7000 km. The front replaced after 9000 km. We ride two up a lot with a fair amount of mountain time. I'm not putting on any more Sporty's on as they don't seem very puncture resistant.

I was one-up for 95% of the time. 20 minute city commuting mostly. With a 300-400km roadtrip once a month or two. Not a lot of mountain riding. Never got a puntcture. And would have gotten 12000km out of them no problem, without it getting dangerous.

Edited by appropriate

CBR150 - I've been telling people good things about the CBR - they seem to be powerful, economical, well handling little fun things in Thailand and Australia.

Strange that they are seen as just common commuters here in Singapore. I get strange looks when I told them some Australian teenage racers made their CBR150R several seconds faster than their Aprilia RS125... (wider powerband = overall better lap time?)

It's been about half a year since I've rode with the CBR150 riders as they had ditched their little bikes for CB400s some time ago. They're now paying for twice the gas and going no faster! Here's an old video I had from those days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sJTm_mGtUo

CBR150 - I've been telling people good things about the CBR - they seem to be powerful, economical, well handling little fun things in Thailand and Australia.

Strange that they are seen as just common commuters here in Singapore. I get strange looks when I told them some Australian teenage racers made their CBR150R several seconds faster than their Aprilia RS125... (wider powerband = overall better lap time?)

It's been about half a year since I've rode with the CBR150 riders as they had ditched their little bikes for CB400s some time ago. They're now paying for twice the gas and going no faster! Here's an old video I had from those days:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sJTm_mGtUo

Kalyan... Yes, they are very economical to drive and to service. I just had my cooling system flushed and filled with 50% antifreeze/50% water like I do every two years, drained and cleaned the gas tank (had some water that was causing stalls), and the total cost was 248 baht or about 8 dollars US. I was thinking of getting a Kawasaki Versys next year but with the predictions of fuel costs rising, the CBR-250 might be a better choice.

This morning I had to make quick time to Doi Saket to pay the electric bill which, due to holidays and me being sick when it first came, was a day late. It's about 18k from my house to Electric company in D.S., and highway all the way. 121 north to 118, then east to D.S. On 121 I was running about 100kph due to traffic. Once I hit 118 I was running 115-120 and the bike was as smooth as can be. One thing I did notice was that on the old 150, if you got behind a truck, or tried to pass one, the wind turbulence could buff you around a bit, but the new one is much more stable and you don't feel that nearly as much.

All in all, it was fun.

:rolleyes:

Domenic.. when you get time can you find out how much they do the correct size pilot sporty's for the new 150 for...thanks :D

New 150 is what, 130 rear 100 front?

yup! 100/80-17 front & rear is 130/70-17

Edited by vrooooom

I'm a new rider and i now have the CBR150i. i'm noticing that the outside of my palm is somewhat sore after every right. i think it's because of the angle (sweep) of the handlebar. should i adjust that a bit forward (less angled-in/straighter)? is anyone feeling the same?

also are u guys riding so that your ass is against the raised part or your crouched on the tank?

the clutch seems to engage near the end of the travel also.... normal? say from 1-10 (with1 being all the way to the grip)... it's 7/8.

Especially from the back.. Looks much more solid..

I have to say tho... Why is the whole world so focused on RR look sportbike design.. Its a 150.. If they had a 'hornet' type upright version I would really consider it for a 'popping into town' type ride.. For me 150cc sport styling just seems a bit silly.

I agree with you 110% LivinLOS. Covering these little 150 and 250 singles in plastic is a bit silly. All about looks and nothing to do with function. I'd choose a naked or semi-naked hornet-style version over these fake race-replica looking faired bikes any day but, I'm guessing Honda did some marketing research and is supplying what most customers want? :rolleyes:

C`mon bbk. i remember my very first bike, a honda ss50, and i too dremt of a bike big at that time and covered her in plastic to make it look bigger.....

Most thai`s dont have the money to buy big bikes and most would love to have the 150 ......you said on post that it looks a lot better, but on this post you`re slagging it......bigger isn`t always better even although some nations think it is.....better to push a small bike quick than drive a fast bike slow. ........good luck to them i say

Especially from the back.. Looks much more solid..

I have to say tho... Why is the whole world so focused on RR look sportbike design.. Its a 150.. If they had a 'hornet' type upright version I would really consider it for a 'popping into town' type ride.. For me 150cc sport styling just seems a bit silly.

I agree with you 110% LivinLOS. Covering these little 150 and 250 singles in plastic is a bit silly. All about looks and nothing to do with function. I'd choose a naked or semi-naked hornet-style version over these fake race-replica looking faired bikes any day but, I'm guessing Honda did some marketing research and is supplying what most customers want? :rolleyes:

C`mon bbk. i remember my very first bike, a honda ss50, and i too dremt of a bike big at that time and covered her in plastic to make it look bigger.....

Most thai`s dont have the money to buy big bikes and most would love to have the 150 ......you said on post that it looks a lot better, but on this post you`re slagging it......bigger isn`t always better even although some nations think it is.....better to push a small bike quick than drive a fast bike slow. ........good luck to them i say

My first 'really mine' bike too !!! When I bought mine it was still covered in the last owners dried blood !!

Took a hammer to mine and removed everything that wasnt there to go faster ;) !!

I'm a new rider and i now have the CBR150i. i'm noticing that the outside of my palm is somewhat sore after every right. i think it's because of the angle (sweep) of the handlebar. should i adjust that a bit forward (less angled-in/straighter)? is anyone feeling the same?

also are u guys riding so that your ass is against the raised part or your crouched on the tank?

the clutch seems to engage near the end of the travel also.... normal? say from 1-10 (with1 being all the way to the grip)... it's 7/8.

Im usually croched on the tank.

I had the same clutch "problem" , just go to a honda shop (or any mechanic) and adjust it and it will be fine.

After mini's, dirt & trail bikes, my first "big bike" was a Honda Dream 305. After a year on that I moved up to a Norton 650. Great bike, when I could keep it out of the shop. lol

It's amazing that you still see those old Honda's on the streets of Chiang Mai! And I have a lot of time on a Norton 850 Commando... Of all the bikes I've ridden, I would love to have one of those today.

But back to CBR150's.... mine left me on the street today. Bogged down and then would not run. Seems like no compression so I am wondering if I finally blew a valve. In four years, this is the first time the bike has let me down and luckily it happened in town and not up country.

I just had to add this. I know it is not nice, but, when I am trying buy a new Bike, I WANT courtliness please.

The first shop said bikes are for display only and cannot order for you. Cannot give price. NO brouchures. Career Limiting Move.

The second shop looked at me and thought F U Falang, what you want? Dead loss shop. Will never return or refer them.

Third shop said Bike only for display, no brochure, no price, cannot sell yet. Dumb *****

Fourth shop where I bought my CBR 150 a year ago, greeted me with smiles, friendly English and a wonderful Young sales Lass. They are on Thepkasatri Road into Phuket, with the big ShadeCloth parking area.

Coversation when something like this:-

Sawasdee krab, Khun sabadee mai?

Sabadee, then and you.

Khun mai sabaai?

Proceede to ask if the new Red Motor Cy was for sale. No. Only arrive today.

Do you want to make a Christmas sale?

Yes. I will pay a deposit and pay full on 6Th Jan 2011, is that OK ?

UUUm , yes, that good.

Kob khun krab.

Deal done and the bike was removed off the show stand.

Sh!t how do people expect to do business like that hey ?

Well I can't wait the next amount of days for delivery.

Happy festive season to you all and please be careful out there.

The Mouse.

I have to say thanks for the advise!

I go there today to check out the new 250 and the stuff was awsome.

Next bike i buy will come from that shop for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of things.

I know T-Dog likes the Honda dealer on Huay Kaew Road, and I admit they got a really cute sales girl working there who speaks a little English, which is helpful, but all of my dealings have been with the dealer by the airport, where I've bought all my Honda's over the past 3 years. Airblade, Scoopy, old and new CBR 150's. Whenever I take the bikes in for service I get preferential treatment, especially for the CBR's. When wife and I went there a couple of weeks ago to look at the 250's, one guy there quoted us one price for the ABS model, but then my wife's cousin whispered another, lower price, in my wife's ear.

Today I was driving around looking for something particular for the house, and can't find it anywhere, but on the way home I was on the highway that runs from 108 back down to where I live. Wide, not much traffic this time of day, and a good place to open it up. Dropped down on the tank, pinned the throttle, went from 80 to 120 in no time, then 125 and then 130 before I had to back off for some traffic. If I can figure out a way to rig my camera up to do a video, I'll get out on that highway again, or the one to Doi Saket, and try to see just how fast it will go. But 130 was no problem at all. And that was actually going INTO a pretty stiff wind in most places. I think with flat, open road, and no wind, it will do 135+. But we'll see.

If I can figure out a way to rig my camera up to do a video, I'll get out on that highway again, or the one to Doi Saket, and try to see just how fast it will go.

Here you go...:rolleyes:

Got a call from the better half, my black 150 is ready to be delivered... I won't be home until Saturday though...

Edited by RED21

If I can figure out a way to rig my camera up to do a video, I'll get out on that highway again, or the one to Doi Saket, and try to see just how fast it will go.

Here you go...:rolleyes:

Got a call from the better half, my black 150 is ready to be delivered... I won't be home until Saturday though...

Hey RED, that's great! Will buy what I need tomorrow!!

Thanks

oops! It seems that WON'T work for me, as the "handlebars" have a much different configuration.

Yeah... I just realized myself; you could probably put it on the left handle bar but that's probably stretching it (would be a bit of a bother).

There's a few more videos on youtube... someone put them on one of the forks

Edited by RED21

oops! It seems that WON'T work for me, as the "handlebars" have a much different configuration.

Yeah... I just realized myself; you could probably put it on the left handle bar but that's probably stretching it (would be a bit of a bother).

There's a few more videos on youtube... someone put them on one of the forks

I went outside with the camera, looked things over, and with a 1/2" x 4" x 10" soft sponge folded 3 times and pressed up against the windscreen, and then running a piece of the All-American "fix anything" 1" white DUCT TAPE across the bottom of the camera, with the top of it against the sponge, and then around the top of the windscreen, that should do it. Oh, with a couple of extra pieces of tape going vertical as well. I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

Of course, if the misses sees me doing it BEFORE I'm finished, I'll have to listen to how expensive the camera is, not to mention how crazy I am. But if I do it when she leaves, then just show her the results she will, as usual, think I'm brilliant!

:cheesy: