Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

You can also slide forward on the seat, probably crushing your family jewels in the process :D , but get a much more relaxed setting than the boy racer mode.

Yep, I've found that out. Just worried about people thinking I'm taking the love affair with my bike just a little too far :o . Just reckon I'll put my arms on the rack before going to bed each night. I'm sure the GF will appreciate it if my hands are capable of reaching a little deeper into my pockets, she's starting blabbering a load of non-sensical rubbish, "Click, Honda, new, love or something. Can't quite work it out :D .

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can also slide forward on the seat, probably crushing your family jewels in the process :D , but get a much more relaxed setting than the boy racer mode.

Yep, I've found that out. Just worried about people thinking I'm taking the love affair with my bike just a little too far :o . Just reckon I'll put my arms on the rack before going to bed each night. I'm sure the GF will appreciate it if my hands are capable of reaching a little deeper into my pockets, she's starting blabbering a load of non-sensical rubbish, "Click, Honda, new, love or something. Can't quite work it out :D .

I'm lucky in the fact that my old lady doesn't want a new bike (except for that damned Fino!! I cured that by proving it's nothing more than some flash plastic on a Mio frame/engine), but is rather happy with her Wave-i. However, considering her mum's bike was falling apart, it was one of those old Sonic Nova 2-strokes that looked like it was manufactured some time during the Falkland War, I bought a new Airblade for the family. I've yet to ride it, but considering the positive buzz that surrounds it on this forum I assume I won't be disappointed.

Promise your better half you'll eat noodles for two months to help her save up for a new bike; maybe that's what's needed to keep the family happy.

Promise your better half you'll eat noodles for two months to help her save up for a new bike; maybe that's what's needed to keep the family happy.

I've been eating noodles and chicken feet for the last two months saving up for MY bike! You mean I've got to do it all over again :D ?

Happy families.

Did the golf club run today with the clubs on the back. No probs whatsoever. The shiney new red and black pride and joy cruises along really smoothly and beautifully at 100km/hr which is 7 - 7,500rpm, you really feel you could go all day at that speed. Once past and up above 8,000rpm (110km/hr) though, the vibration coming through the frame from the engine markedly increases to a very feelable level which I suspect could be quite tiring (especially for the "tackle") on a sustained longer haul at that speed. It's as if some resonant frequencies of the frame are being hit. I guess that's the limitation of trying to "cruise" at 120km/hr on 150cc sports bike? Not built for cruising comfort right, but that's not what be bought our bike for is it! :o

Thanks for all the "welcomes" to the "club". If I become a pain in the a$ and you decide you didn't want me here in the first place, well, you've only got yourselves to blame :D .

Cheers,

Marvo.

I commuted 35 km each way, 5 days per week, for almost all the first 21 months of my first CBR150R, and the buzzing did not bother me much, even though I usually cruised between 110 and 141.2 indicated. Speaking of which, I see the 2008 still has the same clocks, using up only 75% of the dial space, but indicating impossible speeds of the engine and bike. I wish the tach would use 90% of the clock, and quit at 13,000 rpm. Likewise, the speedo could stop at 160 kph.

I wonder if I should switch to synthetic oil after the 1000-km oil change. Then what should the change interval be, since that oil is super-expensive?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH FIRST SCRATCHES AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Mobile rang. Stopped on side of Huay Keow at Canal rd.

A songtow tried to creep past and pushed me and my bike onto the curb. F*************UCK

Scratched the front fender, two of the side panels, the shock and the engine.

Black doesn't look so good with scratches.

I have relocated now to Pattaya from Chiang Mai and had to come up with a plan to get my stuff down here including the bike. Ended up with putting the bags etc on the bus and the bike on the train to Bangkok then riding it the rest of the way to Pattaya. I have done the bike ride all the way before and decided that this time it wasn't worth it.

I bought the ticket in CM - B1,036 for the bike and 550 for me - there is a restriction on weight and size of freight and the reason for it is that everything is manually loaded into the carriage. Apparently the concept of roll on/roll off hasn't taken off here :o. In Bangkok I helped off load the bike onto the platform and pushed it to the front through the ticket barrier. I thought about riding it out but caught the eye of two railway police and decided against it. From the front of the railway station cranked the bike against the traffic to get onto Rama IV and followed it to Sukhumvit and then onto highway 3. Only disturbing moment was when I inadvertently took the on ramp to the motorway and rode through the toll collection booth. That set off the alarms but I did a U turn and headed back to the booth against the traffic flow. Fortunately it was still very early in the morning and no traffic. The girl at the toll booth told me that you cannot have a motorcycle on the motorway and so I rode back down the on ramp and onto the side carriage way. Run from Bangkok to Pattaya was fine - 2 hours.

I have seen a few CB150's around here and hope to catch up with some of the riders. If anyone sees a tastefully restrained Repsol Honda colour scheme bike it will most likely be mine.

CB

My CBR150 is 7 months old and I've already had to change the headlight bulbs three times. One goes out..I get it replaced..the other one follows afterward...then they both go out...then one comes back on..then I replace the other one..etc...Perhaps this is normal but when I had a Sonic I only remember changing the bulb once in about 18 months. The Sonic has an on/off switch for the lights...The CBR does not.

My question is this...Has anyone added an on/off switch to their CBR to save on replacing lights..and if so...where did they put in the switch? Do other CBR owners think this is a worthwhile thing to do or will it make it harder to sell? The Honda shop claim they can do it for about B150 so it's not a money thing...I'd just like to know whether others have done it and whether they think it's worth it.

Also, as an afterthought, do you think it's necessary to have your headlights on in the middle of a bright sunny day in the middle of town? At the moment I'm thinking it's not necesary. I understand it's safer when the weather is cloudy or raining and certainly when it's dusk or dark..but I'm not sure I need my headlights on all the time.

I'd be concerned about the quality of a 150 Baht jobbie. Even from (or maybe especially from) a dealership. I've had my CBR since Jan 06....have had a single bulb burn out. Perhaps you have a short someplace in your electrical system?

I am probably going to buck the trend by saying that it is a good idea to have your headlamps on all the time. Especially on as small of a bike as the CBR 150R. At least where I live, the large truck drivers seem to think that if they have straight through exhaust pipes it gives them more power, thus you can't go with a louder exhaust for them to take notice of you. I think that anything that can save you from becoming a road-stain is something you should leave in place----it's cheaper buying lightbulbs than paying for a hosptial visit.

I guess my first CBR150R burned out 7 or 8 headlight lamps in 54K km. It was a nuisance, but a very worthwhile one. I run with the high beams on all day long. I used a 70 or 80 watt bulb on my Suzuki 850 in Texas. I wanted my attorney to shine a similarly bright light in the faces of the jurors and ask, "Can you see this light that the defendant claimed he could not see?" :o

I heard of a device that you put on the bike that keeps your lights on full beam and modulates the low beam bulb.. It also has a light sensor so it only does this in daylight.

Sounds like a very smart system and a possible lifesaver.

a tastefully restrained Repsol Honda colour scheme? That bike has as tastefully restrained a colour scheme as "Priscilla of the Desert" rolling into Alice Springs at high noon.

So true but for some reason it seems to suit me.

:o

CB

hi im from the philippines and new in this forum. obviously my cbr150 is imported from thailand. i bought my bike last may 9 and something's bothering me. i think the starter safety switch is not workin coz it starts at any gear even without depressing the clutch lever...can you help me figure it out? im sorry i have started another thread regarding this unknowing that there's already a cbr150 existing thread. my apology :o

I believe that the esteemed Peace Blondie has purchased a brand new CBR150 to replace his old one.

congrats

CB

He is not so esteemed, but thanks Crow Boy. Post #363, the Black Night. You and T Dog and others will have to keep those 2003 models rolling. And thanks to Crow Boy for starting one of the longest and most popular general-interest threads on ThaiVisa that has gone on and on.

It is strange to look down at a set of clocks (tach and speedo) with yellow faces, and an odometer reading that starts out 000--. New is so clean and unscratched! And while I had never before jumped from owning one bike and a nearly identical model, I had to make no adjustments at all in my riding habits. Other than staying below 8000 rpm for a whilst.

PB,

Congrats on the new bike! Dang, I was hoping to see how many miles you got before it gave up. I've gotten some emails from several other folks in CM with new or used-new CBR-150's, so we are going to have to plan a get together. I want to see your NEW ride.

The FNU and I just got back from a 700 km loop through Hot, Mae Surien, Mae Hong Son and Pai. It was fantastic, with the best leg between Mae Surien and MHS for peg-to-peg action. MHS to Pai is the most scenic, but we were too busy oogling the view to go fast.

Congrats again..... keep checking your rear view mirror at the usual intersection.

T Dog

I need to replace the chain on my '07 CBR150R.

I was advised it's best to replace the sprockets as well as they all wear-in together.

So I was thinking, could I put some different teethed sprockets on from Goodspeed?... If so, how many teeth should I go for back and front?...

I was after increasing acceleration. Over here on Samui top speed isn't important...

I was also going to go for Goodspeed's racing chain.

Any help appreciated!

John.

I need to replace the chain on my '07 CBR150R.

I was advised it's best to replace the sprockets as well as they all wear-in together.

So I was thinking, could I put some different teethed sprockets on from Goodspeed?... If so, how many teeth should I go for back and front?...

I was after increasing acceleration. Over here on Samui top speed isn't important...

I was also going to go for Goodspeed's racing chain.

Any help appreciated!

John.

Check out this link to decide. But for what it's worth, going from the stock 15/44 to 14/48 will net you some 17% more torque delivered.

I have now changed the pipe and added a flat slide carb. After a lot of jet fiddling, it runs way better and a bit quicker.

25mm spacers and 20W fork oil firmed up the front end for my 82 kg weight.

Still not exactly what I want, so I think I will sell it and buy one of the new 250's coming out later this year.;

5000 km @ 50,000 B

I have now changed the pipe and added a flat slide carb. After a lot of jet fiddling, it runs way better and a bit quicker.

25mm spacers and 20W fork oil firmed up the front end for my 82 kg weight.

Still not exactly what I want, so I think I will sell it and buy one of the new 250's coming out later this year.;

5000 km @ 50,000 B

Hog Head, this is just what T Dog and I were talking about last night. If somebody mounts too much high performance kit onto a general production engine, you run the risk of having lots of power at top end, but the engine sputters at low rpm and you have to keep it above 6,000 rpm all the time.

I could not wait for the new 250's, mostly because my stock carb would not start or run at low rpm. Later this year, or later 2009? :o

Hog Head, this is just what T Dog and I were talking about last night. If somebody mounts too much high performance kit onto a general production engine, you run the risk of having lots of power at top end, but the engine sputters at low rpm and you have to keep it above 6,000 rpm all the time.

The cams are stock, so powerband has not shifted upward. Fiddling with the right size pilot jet gives more off idle power than stock and the flat slide (really a D slide) carb pulls stronger in mid range. Currently I have a 42 pilot and 128 main.

All in all its a fun little bike, but a bit too little for me. Can't beat the fuel sipping though, but I imagine the new carb is a bit thirstier but after all it is still pretty thrifty.

There's been certain someones who have been trumpeting the fact that Honda was going to start selling the CBF(X)-250. And also that Kawasaki was going to drop the Ninja 250 on the Thai market. Obviously neither of those predictions have come true yet. Seems most of the timelines have involved late 2008.

The rumours about the bloomers are so vague as to price, availability, and arrival dates. You may as well splurge on one of the half-million baht bikes. Or wait two years. Or buy something so rare that you cannot get parts or service. Or something that has no registration. Back to topic - here comes the plug - just buy (another) CBR150R until you have enough hard evidence that there will be a Triumph dealership still in business in 2011.

I was sitting in a restaurant with wifey this lunchtime and a brand new CBR 150 rolled up.

We got chatting with the guy who owns it and I asked if I could cock a legover and try it for fit.

I am about 180cm and was surprised how comfortable it felt compared to the Phantom I have at present.

I am starting to feel I really do need a new bike and in the absence of the rumoured 250's, none of which seem to be appearing this year, a trip to the nearest Honda dealer seems in order.

Can anyone tell me the best price they have got their CBR 150 for recently please?

And how about any extras that were thrown in besides an awful polyester jacket or horrible helmet?

Thanks for reading, Andy.

I bought one less than a month ago, from the big dealer here in Chiang Mai. I am about 176.55 cm high. I paid about 64,600 for it (forget exactly - look back for the photo I posted on May 16, with the price). Since I paid 62,600 for a new 2003 CBR150R in July 2003, and got a good trade-in for the old bike, we did not haggle over the price. Did not ask for those stupid freebies either. I got a three year or 30,000 km warranty, a free 1000-km checkup, free first year liability insurance, etc. Maybe you can haggle them down further, but I do not see any need to do so.

Riding yesterday, I noticed my posture is nearly upright, not crouched down racing style. If someone has a 35 inch inseam, their legs might be cramped, but I know of a couple tall owners.

I bought one less than a month ago, from the big dealer here in Chiang Mai. I am about 176.55 cm high. I paid about 64,600 for it (forget exactly - look back for the photo I posted on May 16, with the price). Since I paid 62,600 for a new 2003 CBR150R in July 2003, and got a good trade-in for the old bike, we did not haggle over the price. Did not ask for those stupid freebies either. I got a three year or 30,000 km warranty, a free 1000-km checkup, free first year liability insurance, etc. Maybe you can haggle them down further, but I do not see any need to do so.

Riding yesterday, I noticed my posture is nearly upright, not crouched down racing style. If someone has a 35 inch inseam, their legs might be cramped, but I know of a couple tall owners.

Thats a pretty detailed estimate!

Thanks for the reply.

Andy,

If you felt right on the bike, it is probably well-suited for you. Some people just don't feel comfortable on it, but I love the fit of mine. I am 6'2" and I do have one of those 35 inch inseams PB talks about. Also have a sensitive back, but last week, the FNU and I spent over 700 km on it and my only complaint was that the seat felt like plastic at about the last 50 km! If you are into motorcycling, you will enjoy the handling of the CBR. Also note that you can usually find used ones with about 5000-7000 km on them for around 35-40,000 baht. I hear there is one for sale somewhere down in San Patong right now.