Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a quote of 2,450 for the HA-1502. A bit expensive for this month with what I've already spent in the last week so it'll probably have to wait until next month. I also asked about some NKG Iridium plugs but the guy wasn't sure what the bike takes, CR8EIX or CR9EIX.

Like Sinewave said, i went 2 sizes up and it works fine. had to change the screw for air/fuel intake some but not that much. I tried both with the cone and airbox filter, the cone filter increased the sound alot and i lost some power in the high rpms but that is prolly coz i didnt have a long enough pipe to the filter ( like sinewave mentioned ), but the lowend power went up more, but not worth it for me since im driving on highways alot. I now use the airbox filter which i like more, less sound, and better pull in the high rpms... i tried to make more holes in the airbox aswell but i lost power in the 6th gear so i change back.

this is with a aftermarket pipe and k&n airfilter ( in the airbox ).

/peace

I have about the same - aftermarket pipe and k&n airfilter ( in the airbox ), holes in air-box,and stock silencer.

My mechanic kept the stock jet, and there is a dead spot from 5800 to 7000, but other than that I have great hi-rev power.

I have an unlimited cdi, but what really put it all together was going to the 47 tooth sprocket.

I didn't lose any top end. Maybe even gained - 151 often, and usually only 145 with the 44t. And 6th is punchy always now. Of course 150 is over 12,000...

Stays cool 'though. I might try one jet size up to see what happens for that 6,000rpm deadspot...

wjmark. i'm not sure but if the carb has an adjustable needle then you may need to raise or lower that for the midrange.

Thanks. I will check that out when I get back to Thailand in Sept.

It idles well, runs well, pulls well, but dogs under mid-range load.

No motorbike here in Canada... sigh

Mark.... No worries.. The FNU and I have been doing dawn patrol on the Sameong Loop for you. Took a 30 km side trip yesterday past the Hmong Lodge and it is very beautiful up there this time of year. Waterfalls are gushing and the hill tribe villages are busy. Fun road for the -150! It will all be here when you get back.....

post-498-1246760383_thumb.jpg

Hi All

I am doing some research on the various big bore kits that are available for the CBR150 and one of the responses I got back in email said the following:

"Some things you need to take in to account that anything over about 67mm is pushing the limits for sealing with coolant leaks occurring quite easily."

All of the 177cc kits I have seen thus far have pistons of 69mm, is this going to be a major issue? Why would coolant leaks be an issue for pistons greater than 67mm, wouldn't a properly sized cylinder sleeve and piston rings work as normal?

Any insight appreciated ...

Got a quote of 2,450 for the HA-1502. A bit expensive for this month with what I've already spent in the last week so it'll probably have to wait until next month. I also asked about some NKG Iridium plugs but the guy wasn't sure what the bike takes, CR8EIX or CR9EIX.

"8" is the original temp rating. "9" would be more suited if you do mostly highway driving (high rev for extended periods).

Check out this post from the phils.. just dont mind the language you dont understand. Most of my posts are in english anyway. HTH.

Hi All

I am doing some research on the various big bore kits that are available for the CBR150 and one of the responses I got back in email said the following:

"Some things you need to take in to account that anything over about 67mm is pushing the limits for sealing with coolant leaks occurring quite easily."

All of the 177cc kits I have seen thus far have pistons of 69mm, is this going to be a major issue? Why would coolant leaks be an issue for pistons greater than 67mm, wouldn't a properly sized cylinder sleeve and piston rings work as normal?

If it's an original bore up kit for CBR150 ..it should work without any problems since the manufacturer won't have sold it in the 1st place. If it's a generic kit, thats a different thing.

I'm not into the science of the 'mm' thingy but i think what the text in blue above means is it's easier to scrape your knee on the pavement wearing only one pair of pants than it is if you wear another one on top of the other. One way or the other, all engines are subject to wear -heavily modified engines for racing just wont do for everyday service-use.

In short, as i mentioned earlier, it shouldn't be much of a big deal if that's a Honda Original bore-up kit. HTH :)

Hi All

I have been considering adding a bore up kit also. Have a few options to consider, maybe we should get together with a double buy and hopefully a bigger discount???

Hi All

I have been considering adding a bore up kit also. Have a few options to consider, maybe we should get together with a double buy and hopefully a bigger discount???

Nice idea, but I actually ordered a 177cc kit already(last week) and it's been shipped, should be here in a few weeks with any luck(international). The question I asked here before was after the fact really, but came as a result of an email from one of the other vendors I had reached out to previously, and now he has me worried about the thing ...

In addition, and maybe other people know this already but I didn't see it anywhere on the formums in the little bit of time I've been reading up - so just as an FYI to everyone, something else I was told after I had ordered/paid is that the 177cc kit I have coming uses a cylinder sleeve that is slightly larger than the crankcase opening(74mm versus 73.5mm apparently). I will therefore need to have the crankcase opening bored out some for the sleeve to fit properly - not happy about that at all, not truly a bolt on at that point as far as I'm concerned .. :)

wjmark. i'm not sure but if the carb has an adjustable needle then you may need to raise or lower that for the midrange.

Thanks. I will check that out when I get back to Thailand in Sept.

It idles well, runs well, pulls well, but dogs under mid-range load.

I took the k+n out and put the stock filter back in.. runs much better now.

today my lock for the back seat broke and i cant open it as the key just turns and doesnt click open :) any ideas how to got it open?

Hi All

Nice idea, but I actually ordered a 177cc kit already(last week) and it's been shipped, should be here in a few weeks with any luck(international). The question I asked here before was after the fact really, but came as a result of an email from one of the other vendors I had reached out to previously, and now he has me worried about the thing ...

In addition, and maybe other people know this already but I didn't see it anywhere on the formums in the little bit of time I've been reading up - so just as an FYI to everyone, something else I was told after I had ordered/paid is that the 177cc kit I have coming uses a cylinder sleeve that is slightly larger than the crankcase opening(74mm versus 73.5mm apparently). I will therefore need to have the crankcase opening bored out some for the sleeve to fit properly - not happy about that at all, not truly a bolt on at that point as far as I'm concerned .. :)

I've spoken to several companies (probably the same ones as you) and a couple of mechanics here in Thailand. Opinions vary but basically if you want to be safe only go to a 66mm piston 161.4cc (original is 63.5mm 149.4cc). I am guessing but it seems that above 66-67mm the cylinder will have to be machined, the bigger the sleeve then the more the machining and the bigger the potential problem for sealing at the top of the sleeve (no doubt someone will tell me if I am wrong!). I was told that going to 68mm 171.3cc is ok, but with a small chance of problems. Maximum is 69mm 176.4cc or 70mm 181.5cc, depending on who you talk to. Stroking is considered to be a short term (race) option, I don’t know why. My mechanic’s machinist reckons that 70mm is no problem for reliable street use (as does the mechanic recommended by E20LXN from the Thai cbr150club) so I will probably go down that path as I want to see where the limit is. If it goes pear shaped it won’t be hard to rectify, just get a second hand motor! :-) If you are looking for parts I’ve found the following 3 companies helpful; Akunar, Faddy & Goodspeed (Aseanmoto), no doubt there are others.

Small CBR related rant.

If you remember a few weeks ago I got a very new, second hand 120/80 rear for my CBR. It took me forever to find one.

A week later I realized that there was a very slow leak. Today I decided to get it fixed. First I went to a nice big car tire shop. I have had a CBR tire fixed at one before so I thought that would work again. They sent me down the road to a bike repair shop. The next guy sent me down down the road to bike repair shop. And so did the next two guys. Eventually I was close to a big Honda shop so I went there, and wouldn't you know, they sent me down the road too. The place they sent me to was nothing more than a big wire cage in an alley, where a guy had a stack of tires and tire repair equipment. We found there was a leak on the bead, which was very small indeed. One bubble every ten seconds or so. The tire guy popped it off the rim and went about to fix it. It was astonished that in the process he took out a chef's knife and began digging away at things with the tip of the knife, right where the tire meets the rim. :D My wife who has never observed a tire repair asked me why he would use a knife. Clearly it was bad idea, even to her. He then put the tire back on the rim, and it turns out it still leaked. He then began to blame the brand name of the tire, saying it was too thin and not a good brand (Excella) he said I should use IRC. :D I know I looked up Excella before I bought the tire, it turns out they have a good reputation for offroad tires, no idea about the street though. I can assure you that the Excella was considerably thicker than the IRC we had removed.

Anyhow, he attempted to clean it up one more time, put it on the rim and when he put it in the tank there was a pretty major leak. My only choice now was to get a tube for my tire. :D

Of course he blamed the brand of tire once again. WHat can you do, another case of SARS in Thailand (Somchai's always right syndrome)

On the way home we got a ticket because my FNU decded not to wear a helmet today. They confiscated a photocopy of my driver's license until I pay up. Hmmm, I might take my time paying that one :)

That is my day so far.

Edited by canuckamuck

Yeah he used bead sealer once he wrecked the bead. Still didn't work.

I havent done much searching...but is it possible to buy wider rims to suit the larger section tyres?? or is it cheaper to buy a new bigger bike :)

I really don't think the rim size is the problem. There are other people who have one size larger tire (130). So if works for them I can't see why a 120 shouldn't work. I would definitely put another 120 on that rim. When I saw the bare rim and the tire side by side, you can see they are a good match.

If you got a larger rim you would have to think about chain alignment because it would no longer be a straight line.

I really don't think the rim size is the problem. There are other people who have one size larger tire (130). So if works for them I can't see why a 120 shouldn't work. I would definitely put another 120 on that rim. When I saw the bare rim and the tire side by side, you can see they are a good match.

If you got a larger rim you would have to think about chain alignment because it would no longer be a straight line.

I think the hub width would need remain the same as standard otherwise it wouldnt fit in the swing arm, so then the chain alignment wouldnt change......only the actual rim width needs to be wider.

I was in the Honda dealership today.....I knew the answer I would get...but asked if it was possible to get wider rims......They thought I was from mars I think hehe....well maybe I am.

But when I asked about changing to better tyres, again they thought I was stupid......"but the tyres you have are new, why u want change?" (which they are as its a new bike) I didnt bother to try explain why.

Michelin Pilot Sporty only go up to 100/80/17 from what I can find out...but the International brochure goes up to 130/80/17 anyone have any experience about buying the 130 tyre here in Thailand?

Hey, can I just ask quickly. Picked up a 4 yr old cbr150, filled up with 95 gas, (200b, sweet) over a week later and time to fill up again. What are the disadvantages and advantages of using 91 or 95?

I just ask because they were out of 95 and asked about 91, but the attendent was saying that they're not the same so I left it.

Is it true that 91 gives you more power?

Thanks.

Edited by Simonpetterson

The bike is set up for 91. So unless you retune for the higher octane, it's just wasting baht. On the other hand, I've always assumed that if the petrol company is charging more, they'll put more effort in making sure the product is superior--whether through better additives, attention paid to storage, etc--but I could be sadly mistaken about this.

One thing is for sure; don't use gasahol 95. It can rot out your fuel system.

Last point, I tried switching from my normal 95 benzine to 91 gasahol. And on those two tanks I lost 20% of my economy. This was a true test on a day long ride. I filled up in the morning with 95 benzine, ran it till I was scared I was going to be pushing the bike, and then filled up with 91 gasahol. That was ran until the evening when I put in about a litre of 95 benzine less than I filled up that afternoon with 91 gasahol. Results sure surprised me.

Yeah he used bead sealer once he wrecked the bead. Still didn't work.

Good luck with the tire problems canuck.... I have not found a shop yet that knows how to handle the larger size tires that are indeed a very tight fit on the rims. I have had a few flats and now run tubes. The shops that put the tubes in though did not put in the right size so I split two of them, one within 10 km of the repair. If anyone has any suggestions on tire shops in Chiang Mai that know what they are doing, I am all ears.

I think the hub width would need remain the same as standard otherwise it wouldnt fit in the swing arm, so then the chain alignment wouldnt change......only the actual rim width needs to be wider.

I was in the Honda dealership today.....I knew the answer I would get...but asked if it was possible to get wider rims......They thought I was from mars I think hehe....well maybe I am.

But when I asked about changing to better tyres, again they thought I was stupid......"but the tyres you have are new, why u want change?" (which they are as its a new bike) I didnt bother to try explain why.

Michelin Pilot Sporty only go up to 100/80/17 from what I can find out...but the International brochure goes up to 130/80/17 anyone have any experience about buying the 130 tyre here in Thailand?

The problem you're going to have is that even if the hubs are the same width, an increase in rim size, and resulting wider tyres being used, could cause the sidewall of the tyre to rub against your chain.

The bike is set up for 91.

Okay, thanks. I thought the opposite. Being a 4 yr old bike I thought all nearly new bikes were made for 95. Cheers. With the 150cc being so cheap to run I would worry too much about the economy side of things.

Okay. Only after searching some posts and the net today did I learn that there's 4 types of gas, 91, 95, and a 'gasahol' for both, all very confusing.

So I should be using 91 gasoline, and not 91 gasahol?

Thanks.

Look for this:

เบนซิน

Thai for benzine. Never failed me yet to ask for benzine-gaow-ningun (petrol 91 octane). On the other hand, you may be able to run gasahol long enough that the savings will pay for the replacement of damaged parts in your fuel system. Apparently the latest models are gasahol compliant. My 2006 is not however....

The problem you're going to have is that even if the hubs are the same width, an increase in rim size, and resulting wider tyres being used, could cause the sidewall of the tyre to rub against your chain.

About 6 months ago Allan (Thaicbr) and i asked around for the Sporty 110/80-17, but no luck even though it is in the brochure. It certainly would be a nice set up to have the 110 rear and 100 front. I didn't ask about the 120 or 130; was the 120/80 you had fitted radial or crossply? Not sure if that makes a difference in comparing sizes. Recently i asked a parts supplier about their high performance swing arm and he said a 110/80 wouldn't fit it, the Thais seem to go for skinnier tyres, maybe due to having less weight to haul around?! :)

The bike is set up for 91. So unless you retune for the higher octane, it's just wasting baht. On the other hand, I've always assumed that if the petrol company is charging more, they'll put more effort in making sure the product is superior--whether through better additives, attention paid to storage, etc--but I could be sadly mistaken about this.

Last point, I tried switching from my normal 95 benzine to 91 gasahol. And on those two tanks I lost 20% of my economy. This was a true test on a day long ride. I filled up in the morning with 95 benzine, ran it till I was scared I was going to be pushing the bike, and then filled up with 91 gasahol. That was ran until the evening when I put in about a litre of 95 benzine less than I filled up that afternoon with 91 gasahol. Results sure surprised me.

I should be buying a CBR soon. Consequently, I have a brochure at home which says in Thai (as I believe it says on the bike) that the bike is designed to take Benzine 91 upwards not just 91 specifically. It also says that you can use gasahol 95 or 91 (don't know why it states them in that order) but not with an ethyl alcohol content of more than 10%. My friend who bought a CBR in 2007 seemed to think that his couldn't (or shouldn't) take gasahol but that the 2008 model could. I'm not sure if this is true but a few people have suggested that this might be the case.

There are several threads on www.cbr150club.com about this and although the responses are mixed a large amount of people seem to choose gasahol 95 over benzine 91. I'm sure though that if your bike is not designed to take gasahol it still will until things go wrong which could be some time later. I'd imagine I will avoid it but buy it when benzine is not available. I'm still unsure about the difference between 91 and 95 though, I'd say use 95 if you really feel it improves performance but otherwise what's the point?

I should be buying a CBR soon. Consequently, I have a brochure at home which says in Thai (as I believe it says on the bike) that the bike is designed to take Benzine 91 upwards not just 91 specifically. It also says that you can use gasahol 95 or 91 (don't know why it states them in that order) but not with an ethyl alcohol content of more than 10%. My friend who bought a CBR in 2007 seemed to think that his couldn't (or shouldn't) take gasahol but that the 2008 model could. I'm not sure if this is true but a few people have suggested that this might be the case.

There are several threads on www.cbr150club.com about this and although the responses are mixed a large amount of people seem to choose gasahol 95 over benzine 91. I'm sure though that if your bike is not designed to take gasahol it still will until things go wrong which could be some time later. I'd imagine I will avoid it but buy it when benzine is not available. I'm still unsure about the difference between 91 and 95 though, I'd say use 95 if you really feel it improves performance but otherwise what's the point?

And a large amount of Thais choose to 'upgrade' their bikes with those silly bicycle wheels! I'd be willing to wager that they're looking at the cost of the fuel rather than the actual benefits.

Without understanding the octane rating, pumping the higher grade stuff in for more power borders on ridiculous. Octane rating is directly tied to the resistance to pre-detonation. I.E., it doesn't burn as easily. And if your bike is setup for 91 and you run 95 in it, there's a possibility that the higher octane fuel will not combust in a proper way, perhaps after the power stroke in worst case scenario (worst case because it would be providing a resisting force to the upward sweep of the piston as it tries to exhaust the spent vapours), and actually has less power available.

Having ranted about that, I'll continue to ass-ume that better care is taken care of the higher octane stuff....

Finally look at the tank sticker, it will tell you if the CBR model you purchased can take gasahol. And if you can, make sure you don't use any gasahol except for E10...that's 10% ethanol.