Honda Cbr150

Crow Boy

BTW, out of interest, how is the gearing/bike set up on the 150?

Is it like the new 250 where the power kicks in at 5000rpm and fades out at 8500, or like the old 150 where it kicks in at 7000rpm and keeps going until the redline? Two very different feels for a bike, but don't know which one the new 150 has.

Edited by appropriate

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sad day today, sold my tri-color =/ and for the price of 55k.

first one bought in phuket, first one sold in....Thailand?

Don't think so.

Many have been trying to sell since the 250 was released.

55k is a good deal for a 4 month? old bike.

Last week stopped by Honda Showroom @ airport. They had 3 old model 150's for sale 2 black, 1 blue. 57,000 cash, 60,000 finance. 2 days later only 1 black one left. Have also noticed that in BoSang there used to be just 1 old style CBR owned by the police. Now there are 3. Hummmmm......

What's the power like throughout the rpm band. Does it come mid-way with some low end grunt in the low-mid range, or does it kick-in in the higher rpm and keep going up to the redline. The 250 fizzles out around 8500 and the kick in the pants is in the mid range. Is the new 150 the same, or like the old 150 where the kick in the pants was in the high end?

What's the power like throughout the rpm band. Does it come mid-way with some low end grunt in the low-mid range, or does it kick-in in the higher rpm and keep going up to the redline. The 250 fizzles out around 8500 and the kick in the pants is in the mid range. Is the new 150 the same, or like the old 150 where the kick in the pants was in the high end?

Without getting into specifics (rpm's), I can tell you the new 150 delivers a whole lot more "kick in the pants" through the lower gears than the old model. If you run against an older model, from a standing start, once you hit 2nd gear the only thing he can do is watch you pull away. Now, once you hit 6th gear, if you're banging them, 110 comes in no time flat, and then easily moves up to 120. After that it will takes a little more to hit 125-130, but it definitely be done with no problems. And that's all strictly stock.

At least that's been my experience. Can't speak for others.

I can tell you the new 150 delivers a whole lot more "kick in the pants" through the lower gears than the old model.

But at what RPMs does it kick at, 5000 or 8000? Or is the powerband smooth throughout the rev range? :huh:

I'm just interested if it's set up like the old 150, or the new 250.

Edited by appropriate

I can tell you the new 150 delivers a whole lot more "kick in the pants" through the lower gears than the old model.

But at what RPMs does it kick at, 5000 or 8000? Or is the powerband smooth throughout the rev range? :huh:

I'm just interested if it's set up like the old 150, or the new 250.

I think it kicks in at around 5000. As for the drop I don't really know, but I've put it on the red line accidentally on 3rd a couple of times (which is the reason why i learned to use the tach to shift gears and not trust my ears anymore, especially since it's difficult to hear the engine with a full face helmet.).

Incidentally, my colleague (the one who owns the red bike in one of the pictures I posted) approached me this morning to tell me he had already reached top speed on the bike. He said it was around 140 kph on a flat road, and around 160 kph downhill. He said he got up to 120kph on 5th before he shifted to 6th.

Edited by RED21

The fastest I've had mine is 132 when I raced an older model on 118. Once I blew by him and could see him in the mirrors, I backed off the throttle, but still had some left before I did. I've been wanting to mount a camera to do a video, but I'm still looking for the right kind of brace for it. I'm thinking of buying a "clip on" computer lamp and making some mods to it and see if that works. But will have to get off my lazy, skinny butt first. hahaha.

Also, as Red said, you HAVE to watch the tach. The 150 will red line in 1st & 2nd VERY quickly if you aren't careful.

Edited by Just1Voice

Hey, has anyone heard anything lately (last 2-3 months) about or from Peace Blondie and how he's doing? For those of you who never new him, let's just say he kept things lively in the 150 forum in a good way with some of his comments and humor.

Example: One contributor said he didn't care for the 150 because the riding position was too hard on his wrists.

P.B. : "You have to be more limp-wristed than a Lady Boy!"

:cheesy:

The fastest I've had mine is 132 when I raced an older model on 118. Once I blew by him and could see him in the mirrors, I backed off the throttle, but still had some left before I did. I've been wanting to mount a camera to do a video, but I'm still looking for the right kind of brace for it. I'm thinking of buying a "clip on" computer lamp and making some mods to it and see if that works. But will have to get off my lazy, skinny butt first. hahaha.

Also, as Red said, you HAVE to watch the tach. The 150 will red line in 1st & 2nd VERY quickly if you aren't careful.

Doesn't the new 150 have a rev limiter? The old one did.

The engine lost its pull every time I reached just over the top of the red zone on the tach, could that be the rev limiter kicking in or just my instinct to ease off the throttle because of the engine sound?

Never mind... did a quick look through previous post, yeah it's the rev limiter that kicks in when the engine starts sputtering.

Edited by RED21

The engine lost it's pull once every time I reached the just over the top or the red zone on the tach, could that be the rev limiter kicking in or just my instinct to ease off the throttle because of the engine sound?

That'd be the rev limiter. Usually the aftermarket ones don't have it, but i'd be surprised if the factory ECM doesn't have one; they don't want costly engine rebuilds under warranty! :D

Edited by taichiplanet

The engine lost it's pull once every time I reached the just over the top or the red zone on the tach, could that be the rev limiter kicking in or just my instinct to ease off the throttle because of the engine sound?

That'd be the rev limiter. Usually the aftermarket ones don't have it, but i'd be surprised if the factory ECM doesn't have one; they don't want costly engine rebuilds under warranty! :D

Ok, so it's the rev limiter that is kicking in because, yeah, once you red line in first, it sputters. Hit 2nd and it's fine.

Duhhhhh!

:blink:

GOOD NEWS - BAD NEWS

The good news is that for the past few w/e I've been taking little "day trips" on the 150 just for fun. With my wife on a business trip to BKK and Rayong for the weekend, Saturday morning around 10:30 I tossed some things into a back pack, strapped it on the pilon with some bunjies and said: "I'll drive till I'm tired." I finally stopped for the night in Chum Phae, which is about an hour south of Khon Kaen on Hwy 12. Got there around 10:30 Sat night after pretty much taking my time while driving, never really going over 100 kph the whole trip, just enjoying the ride. So, 12 hours here to there, and a lot of fun in between, especially in the mountains.

Left C.P. at 6:30 this morning and arrived home at 3:00. 8 -1/2 hours. This time I was pushing it to see how well the bike would really perform. On the flats I ran at 115 or so most of the way. 110-115 seems to be the "optimal cruising speed" for the 150, and it does it with ease. In the mountains there were a few places where a bit more torque / speed was needed, but a quick downshift to 5th & 4th handled things fairly easily. Absolutely FUN drive, and the stock tires handled the mountain curves well. The only bad part is that due to a pinched nerve in my right leg, after about 2 hours I have to stop for 5 min or so and get off the bike because my right foot feels like it is on fire. Get off, walk around, take off the shoe, massage the foot, put shoe back on and go again.

Ok, the bad new is just west of Pitsanuloc I started to hear and feel a grinding when I would downshift. It felt like it was having problems engaging the gears. Up shifting was fine, but down started to be a problem. When I had to stop, I'd just hold the clutch in and use foot/hand breaks to come to a stop, then work the lever down to first and take off again. Pulled over once and tried to "eyeball" it, and saw that the chain is very loose. Got home with no problems but tomorrow morning I'll take it to Honda and explain and see if they can tell me why the chain is so loose, and get them to fix the problem.

Other than that, I had a blast. Ran 120 + a few place while passing others, and while I don't have the speed/power/torque of the 250, I had as much fun on this trip as I can imagine others have had on the 250. All in all, a great trip on a great bike.

Oh, sorry, forgot to take the camera.

:annoyed:

I read somewhere (can't remember where now) that some the 250s were chewing up their chains. Maybe someone can confirm. Basically the advise was to get a decent aftermarket one and change the stock one, which sounds weird that a Honda would put a crap chain ob their bikes.

Thanks for the trip report, it's good to get road reports on the 150!

Oh, I forgot something. Do you know that you can actually COAST in NEUTRAL all the way from the temple to past the Chiang Mai Zoo on Huay Kaew Road?

:o

I coasted down from almost the top of Doi Suthep one time after my chain busted on a rental bike. Kinda cool how silent it was, stealth like.

Honda just came to pick up the bike. When I showed one of them how loose the chain was, he told my wife it's a wonder it didn't break on me while driving.

I had my wife write out in Thai everything I wanted done.

1) New chain.

2) Change the oil (I'm at 3,600, a little early but so what)

3) Check rear axle to see if it is loose. I want this done because I noticed that when I slow down to 50kph or less, it feels like the back of the bike is actually "wobbling", as if the wheel is loose.

My wife also added, in writing, that she wanted EVERYTHING on the bike checked, telling them I just took a trip to Khon Kaen, and would be taking another one to BKK soon, and she wanted to make sure the bike was in perfect condition. They offered to give me a Wave to drive till mine was fixed, as it could take a week or so for them to do a complete inspection of everything. I laughed and told her no thanks, but if they want to give me one of the older 150's they have as a loaner, I'd take that. They guy laughed and said she would have to come to the showroom and talk to them abut that.

Don't really need a loaner. Got the Nouvo and Scoopy for local runs, so I'm fine. But did tell them that they could keep the 150 and bring me back a 250. That got a good laugh.

Honda just came to pick up the bike. When I showed one of them how loose the chain was, he told my wife it's a wonder it didn't break on me while driving.

I had my wife write out in Thai everything I wanted done.

1) New chain.

2) Change the oil (I'm at 3,600, a little early but so what)

3) Check rear axle to see if it is loose. I want this done because I noticed that when I slow down to 50kph or less, it feels like the back of the bike is actually "wobbling", as if the wheel is loose.

My wife also added, in writing, that she wanted EVERYTHING on the bike checked, telling them I just took a trip to Khon Kaen, and would be taking another one to BKK soon, and she wanted to make sure the bike was in perfect condition. They offered to give me a Wave to drive till mine was fixed, as it could take a week or so for them to do a complete inspection of everything. I laughed and told her no thanks, but if they want to give me one of the older 150's they have as a loaner, I'd take that. They guy laughed and said she would have to come to the showroom and talk to them abut that.

Don't really need a loaner. Got the Nouvo and Scoopy for local runs, so I'm fine. But did tell them that they could keep the 150 and bring me back a 250. That got a good laugh.

Just checked mine this morning... the chain seems a bit loose too. Other than that no complaints. Going to the service center on Saturday anyways. I'll probably have them check it along with the other things (tire pressure, etc.) as well. Probably have the biked washed/ and waxed too. :rolleyes:

Edited by RED21

Ok, Honda called around 9:30 and said they would bring the bike back around 11:00. Got here right at 11:00 - prompt. New chain like I asked, changed the oil, using a multi-grade, then went down the "checklist" of things I had my wife give them, checking all of them off. Even washed & waxed it for me.

I had my wife ask if I could now drive to BKK at 115-120 and the guy laughed and said "No problem!".

Ok, so I'm a happy camper again.

:D

Ok, Honda called around 9:30 and said they would bring the bike back around 11:00. Got here right at 11:00 - prompt. New chain like I asked, changed the oil, using a multi-grade, then went down the "checklist" of things I had my wife give them, checking all of them off. Even washed & waxed it for me.

I had my wife ask if I could now drive to BKK at 115-120 and the guy laughed and said "No problem!".

Did you pay for the new chain? What brand did they replace it with?

Cost me 350 baht for everything. Replaced with a new stock chain from the looks of it. Ok for now, but would like to find something better. Any suggestions?

350b is very cheap for a chain.

I had an old 150 and bought a DID chain and sprockets for just under 2000b. The dealer said they had a cheaper copy for 800b I think.

I wouldn't imagine the quality is very good on a 350b chain. Have seen other ones available on the Thai 250 site for 1900b I think, with lots of different colours. The 250 is size 520 and the 150 480 I think. Probably check out the Thai 150 site and there'll be some others available.

Cost me 350 baht for everything. Replaced with a new stock chain from the looks of it. Ok for now, but would like to find something better. Any suggestions?\

350 for a new chain?? Hardly likely. Even a cheapy brand will set u back much more than that.

I used to pay 1500 for a genuine Honda chain on my 150. Plus sprockets when required. Always saw the wrapper so knew it was genuine.

I suspect your chain was only tightened and oiled making it look new again??