COE allowed for foreign spouse with Retirement non O-A Visa?

Hi folks - from reading through the forums here and the latest information from Thai government sources, i understand that COEs will not be issued to holders of retirement, or Non O-A visas.  That is the type of visa that I currently have .  I am in Thailand on my year extension of this visa (good through March of 2021).  However, my understanding is also that foreign spouses of Thai nationals ARE on the list of those who can currently apply for a COE from abroad.

My question is this - I am considering heading back to the USA for 1-2 months to assist one of my family members.  If I am married to a Thai national, but have a non O-A visa, and do not have a visa based on marriage, will I be able to apply for a COE for re-entry?  Or would I be required to convert to a marriage based visa first, before departing in order to be eligible for a COE?

Thanks in advance for any assistance and examples you may be able to provide.

Hi Patrick, thanks for your reply.  Yes, the current situation in the USA is definitely a concern and a consideration.  It sounds like you recommend that I reach out directly to the Thai Embassy in the USA.  Looks like they don't have an email published, but I can submit a query here.  I'll give it a try.

Thanks again 

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

News today appears to correct omission of those on retirement so expect that visa will be accepted when you are ready to return.

https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/ccsa-considers-another-2-groups-of-foreigners-for-return-to-thailand

This is very good news - thanks for this update, I hadn't seen the latest local news yet today.   I suspect this will be very welcome news to many retirees currently in limbo overseas.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Don't leave Thailand unless you HAVE TO.

Agree totally, my decision will depend on how my extended family and I can work out how best to provide the assistance needed.  As the only retired sibling, I'm in the best position to provide direct assistance.  Without the pandemic, it would be a no brainer, I wouldn't hesitate to go, but with it the decision becomes more complicated.

4 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If you have a Thai spouse, you are eligible to apply for a COE, and (if granted) can travel with your current unexpired visa or reentry permit.

Hi - thanks for this info.  I haven't left Thailand since the extension past my first year of my Non-OA visa.   My understanding is that I would need to get a re-entry permit (even though my original visa was a multi-entry).  Are there any restrictions on getting the reentry permits before leaving Thailand these days, or is it business as usual?

1 minute ago, heyx2rr said:

Without the pandemic, it would be a no brainer, I wouldn't hesitate to go, but with it the decision becomes more complicated.

I'm retired and I guess many here in Thailand have been wondering what would happen if we needed to return home country.

At least you MAY qualify for COE.

Point is returning to los may be difficult process for quite some time.

Best of luck with tough call.

1 minute ago, heyx2rr said:

I haven't left Thailand since the extension past my first year of my Non-OA visa.

That indicated your original visa has expired (date on Consulate visa is what matters) so you will need a re-entry permit to keep your current extension of stay alive.  Should not be any issue getting that.

• Like 1

Just now, heyx2rr said:

Are there any restrictions on getting the reentry permits before leaving Thailand these days, or is it business as usual?

Can obtain reentry permit. Can be obtained at airports or immigration.

When does you O-A expire and when does your current permission of stay end

Edited by DrJack54

A quick update - I received a very prompt reply from my query to the Thai Embassy in the USA.  They have indicated that if you are the spouse of a Thai national and you have a Non O-A visa, you must apply for a new Non Immigrant O visa (Spouse / Children of Thai National) via the COE portal.  If I have a reentry permit for my existing Non O-A visa, the portal does not offer an option for utilizing that in conjunction with a marriage certificate in order to submit an application.  So it seems the process as it stands now, while O-A visas are not yet on the list of visas valid for reentry), is that you must apply for a 3 month Non-Immigrant O visa.

Passing this info on in case it is helpful.  Hopefully the Non O-A visa will be approved as a valid visa for COE applications soon, as highlighted by the recent articles shared by folks earlier in this thread.

Here is the reply from the embassy:

In your case, you need to apply for a spouse visa and COE. You cannot travel back to Thailand on an O-A visa.

If Non-Thai nationals wish to apply for a visa and COE, please submit your application and required documents electronically on our website: https://thaiembdc.org/onlinevisaapplication/

Please check for more information:
https://thaiembdc.org/visas/
https://thaiembdc.org/2020/07/23/faq-for-non-thais-wishing-to-enter-thailand-during-the-covid-19-pandemic/       

Best,
Visa Section
Consular Office,
Royal Thai Embassy,
2300 Kalorama Rd., N. W.,
Washington, DC 20008.
E-mail - [email protected]

• Like 2

The rules are changing by the hour and at the moment even with the current ability to come back if you have a retirement Visa and a permanent residence in Thailand my understanding is actual flights won't b3 starting until November. You will need all the tests, fit to fly certificate certified by the Thai Embassy in your country and two weeks of compulsory quarantine. All this just to help out a family member. It might be much more cost effective for you to give them some money to help them out. You could be stuck overseas for months.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 9:59 AM, heyx2rr said:

Hi Patrick, thanks for your reply.  Yes, the current situation in the USA is definitely a concern and a consideration.  It sounds like you recommend that I reach out directly to the Thai Embassy in the USA.  Looks like they don't have an email published, but I can submit a query here.  I'll give it a try.

Thanks again 

As long as you're officially married with a Thai and have the documents the embassy requires,you are allowed to apply for the CoE. It has nothing to do with the type of extension you're on. 

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 10:14 AM, heyx2rr said:

This is very good news - thanks for this update, I hadn't seen the latest local news yet today.   I suspect this will be very welcome news to many retirees currently in limbo overseas.

Thanks!

Something is wrong with the article in The Thaiger. PR-visa holders have been able to come back for months already. And they mentioned people with a lot of money, that doesn't imo automaticly include people on retirement visas. Plus there are only 100 people meeting the requirements according to the spokesman. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Max69xl said:

As long as you're officially married with a Thai and have the documents the embassy requires,you are allowed to apply for the CoE. It has nothing to do with the type of extension you're on. 

I'm afraid this is not correct. I am currently working with the embassy in NY. I have all the documents. A valid re-entry based on a retirement extension and a Thai wife in Bangkok.

They have advised my to apply for a visa to visit my family if I want to return.

On 8/29/2020 at 7:19 AM, Dave246 said:

Looks like the Thai Embassy in the USA has different guidelines for the Non O-A Visa. I am married to a Thai (no marriage visa) and was stuck in the UK for 3 months. Whilst applying for the COE I also applied for a Non O-A visa which was granted along with the COE and repatriation flight. Now in quarantine in Bangkok. I guess it comes down to the Embassy! 

Hi, I wonder if you could let me know the full cost of this process? The type and company for your insurance would be especially helpful, as well as saying if there are any hidden extra charges, inflated hotel prices for food, drinks etc.etc. PM if you wish.