Day turns to night in Bangkok - and even a pedestrian overpass is flooded!

rooster59

Day turns to night in Bangkok - and even a pedestrian overpass is flooded!

rain.JPG

Image: Daily News

An extreme storm hit Bangkok yesterday afternoon causing widespread flooding and traffic misery over large swathes of the capital.

Around 5pm light turned to darkness as motorists turned on their headlights and menacing clouds swirled overhead.

The deluge in some places was severe and on Sri Nakharin Road a lady on Facebook called "Doraemon Tanthakosai" posted pictures of a flooded pedestrian overpass. 

She said that she had escaped the flooding on the road only to find more overhead.

She described it as a case of "nee seua pa jorakhee" - fleeing a tiger only to meet a crocodile a proverb that is "out of the frying pan into the fire" in English.

Daily News referred to the storm as almost supernatural.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-08-29

4 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

And barely a drop in Pattaya.

Yeah, Pattaya is amazing in this respect. For years I regularly biked in the Pattaya area, and often you are just over these hills that surround Pattaya and it would be pouring down for sometimes hours, and you get back to Pattaya and not a drop. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

Yeah, Pattaya is amazing in this respect. For years I regularly biked in the Pattaya area, and often you are just over these hills that surround Pattaya and it would be pouring down for sometimes hours, and you get back to Pattaya and not a drop. 

and it can happen the other way around too, Pattaya seeing massive flooding and not a drop of rain just 20km  down the road. None frontal rain causes all kinds of localized phenomena. You can watch a big topical storm not 2 miles away,  while sitting in the dry, hot sunshine and sipping your beer.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

and it can happen the other way around too, Pattaya seeing massive flooding and not a drop of rain just 20km  down the road. None frontal rain causes all kinds of localized phenomena. You can watch a big topical storm not 2 miles away,  while sitting in the dry, hot sunshine and sipping your beer.  

Yes,that can happen all over Thailand and beyond. But Pattaya is one of the driest spots in Thailand, while Trat is one of the wettest. Back in the days when I was still doing regular visa runs from Pattaya to Koh Kong, Koh Kong and Trat were just continuous rain often for days, once you're past Chantaburi it would start clearing up, by the time you get back to Pattaya it's sunny and dry. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

And barely a drop in Pattaya.

depends where you were - around 7 - 7.15 or so in between Central and North Pattaya a really heavy storm for 15 minutes or so. Third Road around Season Chill was flooded at about 7.40 and mc taxi had to go around the back of Big C to get me into the centre of Pattaya.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jrward42 said:

I had to hide in a pub for the whole of happy hour. It was pretty hellish. 

We can't all be lucky. Thanks for being such a team player. It's because of sacrifices like yours that I continue to have faith in the future of humanity.

• Haha 1