I got my 30 days extension denied today

Just now, mareo said:

Just texted them on LINE, I'll report back.

mareo, since your in Bangkok you could also check out places such as Thai Visa Centre. 

Both places could outline your options.

Good luck.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

Just now, DrJack54 said:

Mateo, since your in Bangkok you could also check out places such as Thai Visa Centre. 

Both places could outline your options.

Good luck.

Thai Visa centre gave me the 60k quote. Thank you so much.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mareo said:

Thai Visa centre gave me the 60k quote. Thank you so much.

The good thing about their offer is that at the end of the 15 months you can renew it for another 12 months for 35k, which is actually a pretty cost-effective way of staying in Thailand long term.

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

60K baht is a massive chunk of change - you could do so much with that locally, if only you could travel.

Immigration don't care about "other" Thais / businsses, etc.  Just look at their policies in general.  Of course it would be better if the OP spent that money into the Thai economy - directly to businesses, instead.

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

Paying $2000 to volunteer sounds bonkers to me.

You are paying it to corrupt-immigration to "let you stay" - not "to volunteer."  Many of us with fully-legit extension applications (support a Thai family, etc) face the same barrier - "pay up through an agent, or else." 

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 1

thought the embassies were only sending letters for tourists stranded and unable to leave, not for those who simply want to stay.

expect the refusal may have something to do with the end of "amnesty."  you've prolly already been in thailand much longer than your original waiver, repat flights are available for most, and you're supposed to be using the current amnesty time to get out.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

The good thing about their offer is that at the end of the 15 months you can renew it for another 12 months for 35k, which is actually a pretty cost-effective way of staying in Thailand long term.

Yes, the "start up" fee apparently includes the 90-day stamp payoff, plus the 1-year extension payoff.

2 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

thought the embassies were only sending letters for tourists stranded and unable to leave, not for those who simply want to stay.

expect the refusal may have something to do with the end of "amnesty."  you've prolly already been in thailand much longer than your original waiver, repat flights are available for most, and you're supposed to be using the current amnesty time to get out.

The USA letter doesn't say that specifically - just a general reference to the Covid situation - but some are reporting success with it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mareo said:

A police woman came out of that room, saw me sitting and asked me if I was waiting for something. I showed her the documents and she told me I needed a letter from my embassy, otherwise they don't give extensions anymore. After explaining a bit the situation and seeing that it was gonna get me nowhere, got out of there without paying.

25 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Well that puts you experience in a totally different light then. It could be that this woman just didn't really know what she was talking about. 

Just try again, you are fully eligible for that regular 30-day extension of stay.

When you get a Cannot Be Done answer by a desk officer, politely ask to talk to the officer in charge.  As mentioned > earlier exact same application made by someone a couple of weeks ago at same MTT office - and approved without further ado. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

Thanks for the insight, Captain Obvious.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Peter Denis said:

Just try again, you are fully eligible for that regular 30-day extension of stay.

When you get a Cannot Be Done answer by a desk officer, politely ask to talk to the officer in charge.  As mentioned > earlier exact same application made by someone a couple of weeks ago at same MTT office - and approved without further ado. 

It could be that the woman who the OP spoke to was trying to be helpful but actually didn't know what she was talking about because she was working at the marriage visa desk or something.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, edwardandtubs said:

Thanks for the insight, Captain Obvious.

be nice, little one.

consider immigration may be following the new policy.  it was announced that tourists need to get out by september 26 or provide evidence of why they cannot.  what sense then to approve extensions beyond the cutoff date?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, mareo said:

Any more details? I'm going to Pattaya this weekend. Maybe I can do it there. Thanks.

If going to Pattaya, check the agents on Soi Bukow Rd, just north of South Pattaya Rd - past the market and the curve in the road headed North.  The best deals were on the right-hand side of the road a couple years ago - not sure now (I don't live there any more).

3 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

It could be that the woman who the OP spoke to was trying to be helpful but actually didn't know what she was talking about because she was working at the marriage visa desk or something.

Not really, the room was exclusively dedicated to TR60 tourist visas, and I believe she was one the people handling visas on the desks. My impression though.

1 minute ago, JackThompson said:

If going to Pattaya, check the agents on Soi Bukow Rd, just north of South Pattaya Rd - past the market and the curve in the road headed North.  The best deals were on the right-hand side of the road a couple years ago - not sure now (I don't live there any more).

Thanks for the info!

16 minutes ago, mareo said:

Not really, the room was exclusively dedicated to TR60 tourist visas, and I believe she was one the people handling visas on the desks. My impression though.

The other possibility is that so few people are requesting this she didn't realise you were entitled to it.

I am both interested by :

- People having successfully obtain a "normal" extension of 30 days, without embassy letter, as it looks possible on a visa exemption on arrival (french passport), not having used any extension.

Only ONE report on TVF somewhere ???

- Quote for agent service, since obviously that's what all this mess is about (when they are desesperate for tourists to come back on another hand... ????)

I just have been quoted 40K and 31K for 6 months ED visa, half for agent half for school. No need to go to school. Valid only until 1 year after arrival max, witch would be fine for me i hope to be able to travel in fck normal conditions before 6 months...

Point is it looks like i have only until thursday to apply ! Or to get a 30 days extension.

Why could not immigration just ask 2-4K per month up to 6 months or more i don't understand... Would be direct, easy, not stressfull. Good money for them, good clean farangs staying in Thailand ???? 

Edited by Sambotte
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

- People having successfully obtain a "normal" extension of 30 days, without embassy letter, as it looks possible on a visa exemption on arrival (french passport), not having used any extension.

- Quote for agent service, since obviously that's what all this mess is about (when they are desesperate for tourists to come back on another hand... ????)

I just have been quoted 40K and 31K for 6 months ED visa, half for agent half for school. No need to go to school. Valid only until 1 year after arrival max, witch would be fine for me i think i need 6 months before travelling in fck normal conditions...

Point is it looks like i have only until thursday to apply ! Or to get a 30 days extension.

Why could not immigration just ask 2-4K per month up to 6 months or more i don't understand... Would be direct, easy, not stressfull. Good money for them, good clean farangs staying in Thailand ???? 

If you only need 6-months the other option is a 3-month medical visa followed by 3 month volunteer visa. Each one would cost 20K.

23 minutes ago, Sambotte said:

Possibly/probably more reports posted because this is actually 'standard' practice as you are entitled to a 30-day extension of stay when applying from a Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa entry and not having used it yet.

But I specifically remember the application at MTT because it was in the early days that office opened again, and the applicant made the trip directly from MTT to CW to successfully apply same day for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa. 

I could look it up, but would take me too much time to find it back, and I am 100% certain on that one (as applicant had an extensive PM correspondence with me to discuss his options).

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Possibly/probably more reports posted because this is actually 'standard' practice as you are entitled to a 30-day extension of stay when applying from a Visa Exempt or Tourist Visa entry and not having used it yet.

But I specifically remember the application at MTT because it was in the early days that office opened again, and the applicant made the trip directly from MTT to CW to successfully apply same day for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa. 

I could look it up, but would take me too much time to find it back, and I am 100% certain on that one (as applicant had an extensive PM correspondence with me to discuss his options).

So you don't know whether anyone has obtained an extension since the new announcement? The OP's experience suggests this is no longer possible.

• Thanks 1

I forgot (busy day) to mention the agent i saw told me it was NOT possible to get this extension. Not sure he lied because anyway after 30 days i would have the same need of him...

So still wondering if people have successfully obtained this normal extension recently...

It supposed to be ok (nothing official saying "no"), but well... I will have to go ask local immigration tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Sambotte said:

I forgot (busy day) to mention the agent i saw told me it was NOT possible to get this extension. Not sure he lied because anyway after 30 days i would have the same need of him...

So still wondering if people have successfully obtained this normal extension recently...

It supposed to be ok (nothing official saying "no"), but well... I will have to go ask local immigration tomorrow.

Please let us know what you find out.