BMW Motorrad Servicing - Rip Off ?????

Just now, Matzzon said:

When you buy a hard disk, you will not open because that voids warranty.

When you buy a kitchen mixer, you should not put the plug in 400V, because that voids warranty.

In your case there is a clause about already mentioned. You are obligated to read the terms and conditions for you car, kitchen mixer, hard disk or any other warranty you might have. If there is a clause regarding 1200 km, then that will stand in your terms and conditions for your warranty package. You are responsible to ask for it if you do not get the terms and conditions for your warranty, and you are responsible for being aware of the terms and conditions.

So, as a matter of fact. If BMW would have chosen to terminate your warranty, then it would not matter where you decide to raise any issue. Because it´s totally your responsibility.

If you can find public information a BMW site that highlights 1200km for a Motorcycle I’d be glad of the link. 

None of the documentation have seen states 1200km limit (For Motorcycles) - I’ve been given this limit verbally by the service manager. 

The 1200km limit you mention is for BSI [Cars], I’ve not found such information documented anywhere on the BMSI webpages. 

I am happy that BMW have not or will not void the warranty - that would see me making this a far bigger issue with BMW.

6 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

oil and filter changes were like 4,000 - 5,000 a time,

I get this reduced by buying the oil myself online  (about 8-900 baht less) using manufacturer  approved oil then let  the dealers  put it in so they stamp the  book.

4 minutes ago, Matzzon said:
42 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

which will likely be outside the 3 years BMSI anyway as I don’t ride more than 4000km a year

You do know that sums up to twelve? It would be enough to drive 3050km per year.

Incorrect.

My Motorcycle is 1.5 years old has done 1500km.

Thus: I have to ride 7500km within the next 1.5 years to achieve 9000km (minimum window of 10,000km service) - I don’t expect to cover anywhere near that.

Thus the next BMSI service based on mileage is moot unless I somehow rack up a load of miles. 

That said the next BMSI service based on ’time’ is due on 24 months and another on (just before) 36 months (All free / inclusive under BMSI).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

@richard_smith237

Unfortunately you need to polish up on commercial law before you come out beating your chest.

You see as Richard to have been able to service his motorbike, the dealership or service centre would have had to be open for him to service his bike within the recommended kilometres, they were not open because of Covid-19 and therein lay the problem. You cannot expect anyone to park their bike or motor car because the dealership is closed, life goes on.

Now any court, if it got to that, I believe would see that the service centre or if you like the terms and conditions of the warranty provided would be null and void during the period they were closed due to the fact that:

A) It would be unreasonable for anyone to think that because of a particular set of recommended rules prescribed by a dealership over-rules the fact that the customer could not service the bike/vehicle when in fact they were closed due to Covid-19.

B) This was out of the control of the customer, it was also out of control of the dealership, however the dealership should show good faith and service the bike free as it is not as if the customer travelled around the country and clocked up tens of thousands of kilometres which could place additional costs on the dealership, that said it was all factored into the price.

This is outright extortion and they know it, but if you don't stick it between their eyes, they won't back down and the dealer is breaching the terms of the contract.

The dealership didn't take into account to update their website to advise customers that due to being closed for the period from xyz due to Covid-19 that they would be waiving any excess kilometres on their service agreement, thus allowing the clock to be reset, e.g. 1,500 vs 1,000 free service, they are not above the law and as I said before, did nothing to mitigate their clients losses, "duty of care".

The words "duty of care" would come into play when they failed to advise Richard of the fact that they would be closed, and if that's not good enough which I believe it would be, they failed to be flexible in mitigating their clients costs if they went over the scheduled kilometres due to them being closed.

End of story, I believe RIchard has a very strong case which is outside the "normal" scope of the service agreement which would have been part of the sale contract.

Go get em Richard and if successful, which I believe you will be, you can let me know ????

BMW  will probably claim like the frikking airlines it was an act of  god or unknowable circumstances.

6 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

End of story, I believe RIchard has a very strong case which is outside the "normal" scope of the service agreement which would have been part of the sale contract.

No he doesn't, he already admitted it was his oversight to go for the service too late, not caused by Covid19, but that BMW could have clarified the requirement to get the first service done in the first place.

And duty of care doesn't come into it unless there is a tort, ie a litigation claim. 

It is quite an interesting point because logic would incline you to think you have to do the pre-scheduled services before you do the later ones, however, many people skip a service and then do a later one and it's the first time I hear of the fact you have to pay for the first one, you did not want, in order to do subsequent ones. 

No doubt this will be in BMW terms and conditions somewhere, and as always it is caveat emptor, ie buyer beware. The onus was on the buyer to inform himself of these conditions before he buys. He should have asked at the time of purchase. Of course would have been nice if BMW had disclosed it, but it's not a requirement in law, if the terms and conditions are contained in writing somewhere, as I suspect they are.

9 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

@richard_smith237

Unfortunately you need to polish up on commercial law before you come out beating your chest.

You see as Richard to have been able to service his motorbike, the dealership or service centre would have had to be open for him to service his bike within the recommended kilometres, they were not open because of Covid-19 and therein lay the problem. You cannot expect anyone to park their bike or motor car because the dealership is closed, life goes on.

Now any court, if it got to that, I believe would see that the service centre or if you like the terms and conditions of the warranty provided would be null and void during the period they were closed due to the fact that:

A) It would be unreasonable for anyone to think that because of a particular set of recommended rules prescribed by a dealership over-rules the fact that the customer could not service the bike/vehicle when in fact they were closed due to Covid-19.

B) This was out of the control of the customer, it was also out of control of the dealership, however the dealership should show good faith and service the bike free as it is not as if the customer travelled around the country and clocked up tens of thousands of kilometres which could place additional costs on the dealership, that said it was all factored into the price.

This is outright extortion and they know it, but if you don't stick it between their eyes, they won't back down and the dealer is breaching the terms of the contract.

The dealership didn't take into account to update their website to advise customers that due to being closed for the period from xyz due to Covid-19 that they would be waiving any excess kilometres on their service agreement, thus allowing the clock to be reset, e.g. 1,500 vs 1,000 free service, they are not above the law and as I said before, did nothing to mitigate their clients losses, "duty of care".

The words "duty of care" would come into play when they failed to advise Richard of the fact that they would be closed, and if that's not good enough which I believe it would be, they failed to be flexible in mitigating their clients costs if they went over the scheduled kilometres due to them being closed.

Go get em Richard and if successful, which I believe you will be, you can let me know ????

You forgot one thing. This is Thailand and their interpretation of your so called commercial law. I think that one will be totally different of what you seem to expect. 

Nothing more to add. Thanks for the solid information, and I sincerely hope it did not take too much of your time creating it. ???? 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Logosone said:
13 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

No he doesn't, he already admitted it was his oversight to go for the service too late, not caused by Covid19, but that BMW could have clarified the requirement to get the first service done in the first place.

I did - but BMW don’t know that.

BMW didn’t respond to a coupe of LINE messages, the staff member had moved on to another dealership.

My fault for not following up in person. 

The dealership was closed over a period when my motorcycle ‘could’ have been serviced. 

That said, my bike could have been serviced last month when they reopened, so I accept fault. 

The only issue I have ever had with this is questioning the integrity of the dealership - which it seems operated within their remit, albeit without a certain degree of flexibility which could be expected given the current climate - this in itself presents an unfavourable experience. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

If you can find public information a BMW site that highlights 1200km for a Motorcycle I’d be glad of the link. 

None of the documentation have seen states 1200km limit (For Motorcycles) - I’ve been given this limit verbally by the service manager. 

The 1200km limit you mention is for BSI [Cars], I’ve not found such information documented anywhere on the BMSI webpages. 

I am happy that BMW have not or will not void the warranty - that would see me making this a far bigger issue with BMW.

Yes, you have it very clearly if you know how to read and understand clauses in terms and conditions. That is actually a part of my professional work, so let´s just hope that you will not try to disagree this time too. ???? 

This is probably the link that you posted your service picture from before: 
https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.th/en/service/service-inclusive.html#/section-service-inclusive-package-overview

If you only would have bothered to read and understand the terms and conditions for your warranty, then you would also have noticed the vague, but clear according to regular terms and conditions, information in clause 4. (Copied below)

4. Service intervals specified for the motorcycle must have been met and must have been performed in accordance with the specifications of the manufacturer. Service must be due as indicated by the motorcycle’s service light before service work can be performed.

(If translation of the above is needed, then it will simply go like this. You are done, because you did not perform service in accordance to the specifications of the manufacturer. So, now take up your handbook for the motorcycle and read when they specify service is due. Actually it does not even stand that you have 200km window in the terms and conditions.)

So, as I stated before. If BMW would have terminated your warranty, nothing you would do to raise any "big" issue with BMW would matter at all.

Are we finished?

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

The only issue I have ever had with this is questioning the integrity of the dealership - which it seems operated within their remit, albeit without a certain degree of flexibility which could be expected given the current climate - this in itself presents an unfavourable experience.

I trust you have the same policy as I do, i.e. burn me once and that will be enough, your business will be less one customer and anyone who knows about business, you want and need repeat business from your established clientele who fill in the void, you have to be able to negotiate with your clients, keeping everyone happy can be a challenge, but let's face it, Covid lockdowns did inflict some damage to businesses, but if you want to put that on the customers, then they will end up losing over a small technicality which wouldn't be worth taking it to court.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

They have been nicer to you, than the terms and conditions. They have even been telling you that you have a 200km window, which never was written in the term and conditions.

If I were you, I would see it like this. You got an extra unheard of window of 200km when asking them. You have also been given the right to hold on to your warranty, which you according to broken terms and conditions should not have the right to. For that you only paid 4k baht. Be Happy!

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I trust you have the same policy as I do, i.e. burn me once and that will be enough, your business will be less one customer and anyone who knows about business, you want and need repeat business from your established clientele who fill in the void, you have to be able to negotiate with your clients, keeping everyone happy can be a challenge, but let's face it, Covid lockdowns did inflict some damage to businesses, but if you want to put that on the customers, then they will end up losing over a small technicality which wouldn't be worth taking it to court.

What? Have you suddenly moved from post based on a made up commercial law, to threats that they lose you as a customer if they do not do like you want?

You know one thing. They can´t care less! ????

4 minutes ago, Matzzon said:
7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

They do not need to know that! That´s why they have Terms and Conditions!!

And an apparent degree of inflexibility given the current climate (Covid-19). 

BMW are correct and I have missed the ‘service window’ and I’m going to pay 4000 baht for that. 

I’ve no issue with that - I now know that the service centre is honest and following their rules. 

However, given the current climate (Covid-19) the lack of flexibility is poor PR - will my next bike be a BMW? thats the question BMW need to ask themselves with every customer - can they swallow the minor indifference to keep a customer satisfied. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Matzzon said:

They have been nicer to you, than the terms and conditions. They have even been telling you that you have a 200km window, which never was written in the term and conditions.

If I were you, I would see it like this. You got an extra unheard of window of 200km when asking them. You have also been given the right to hold on to your warranty, which you according to broken terms and conditions should not have the right to. For that you only paid 4k baht. Be Happy!

Your wrong.

The terms and conditions have been broken by the service centre by not being open to service the bike, forget about the fact that he didn't know, BMW doesn't know that.

It's no different to me buying a motor vehicle, paying for it and the dealer telling me it will be here month, so I fork out a million baht, Covid lock downs come into place and let's say it goes on for 3 years before I get my car, my car would be a 3 year old model and it's warranty would have run out, plus it would have lost value in that time regardless of it having zero kilometres on the clock.

Wait, I know your going to tell me that's different and I am going over the top, "really", I would think I could tell the dealer that I am not taking the car because he failed to deliver it to me within a reasonable time and by not doing so should entitle me to a full refund. 

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Incorrect.

My Motorcycle is 1.5 years old has done 1500km.

Thus: I have to ride 7500km within the next 1.5 years to achieve 9000km (minimum window of 10,000km service) - I don’t expect to cover anywhere near that.

Thus the next BMSI service based on mileage is moot unless I somehow rack up a load of miles. 

That said the next BMSI service based on ’time’ is due on 24 months and another on (just before) 36 months (All free / inclusive under BMSI).

Ok, you posted that you did not drive more than 4k km per year, that´s why I reacted. If you said that you´ve not driven more than 1,5k in 1,5 years, then I would have understood it ???? 

Just used to my own driving I guess. About 8-10k km per year, but I drive it from Isaan to Bkk, Pattaya and Hua Hin as well as Rayong and Ban Phe and much more

In the circumstances (Covid19 and the fact that the service light didn't come on) I think they should make an exception and do it for free. Strictly speaking you should have waited but if the service centre was closed at that time then I think that's enough justification for going 500 km over.

I've heard a lot of bad things about Motorrad Thailand. There was a thread on GT-Rider a few years ago about new parts being swapped for old parts during a service. Also, when I asked for test ride of a S1000RR they said they didn't have bikes for test rides but they'd call me next time a customer's bike was in for service. So bear that in mind, a potential buyer might be ripping up and down the sois on your bike while it's in for service so they can try to make a sale!

One of the reasons I opted for a Ducati.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

The terms and conditions have been broken by the service centre by not being open to service the bike

Nope, that´s where force majeure automatically gets activated. That´s a thing that regards all warranties as well as terms and conditions around the world. Today they do not even have to be written.

6 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Thats the way I’m viewing it.

But, its still a poor customer experience. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

BMW didn’t respond to a coupe of LINE messages, the staff member had moved on to another dealership.

My fault for not following up in person. 

The dealership was closed over a period when my motorcycle ‘could’ have been serviced. 

That said, my bike could have been serviced last month when they reopened, so I accept fault. 

That is entirely in line with the capacity for honesty I expect of you.

Yes, of course it would have been nice if the dealership had been flexible, but you need a smart manager for that, to realise better to retain a customer for life than annoy them for a few coins.

If they have to get re-imbursed by a BMW body or partner you can see they are a bit constrained by their own system though.

Either way, it's annoying of course, but good of you to share this with the rest of us.

6 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

BMW are correct and I have missed the ‘service window’ and I’m going to pay 4000 baht for that. 

I’ve no issue with that - I now know that the service centre is honest and following their rules. 

However, given the current climate (Covid-19) the lack of flexibility is poor PR - will my next bike be a BMW? thats the question BMW need to ask themselves with every customer - can they swallow the minor indifference to keep a customer satisfied. 

There I agree with you 100%! They should be able to show a great deal of flexibility, but it´s nothing that you by terms and conditions are entitled to.

As this is Thailand as well, you are dealing with the Thai part of BMW, because your case is not at all big enough to reach international interest. Even if it was, BMW would not like the negativity of it and pressure the Thai section to keep the lid on it. So, I think both you and I understand quite quickly that the Thai rubber band is not possible to extend to the same proportions. Therefore the flexibility will also be decreased. ???? 

Cheers! You still have your warranty. ???? 

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Unfortunately I don't think Matzzon will understand where you are coming from, that said, I am sure BMW will see your point when you put it in writing, e.g. because of the Covid-19 situation, you shouldn't be held accountable for the 4,000 baht because the service centre was closed and you needed your bike to get from A to B, in other words, how could you possibly take your bike in for the service, the centre was closed.

No threats, just facts, no letters, emails, phone calls from BMW or its service centre advising you of when they would be open again, they couldn't expect you to not use your bike, that is the purpose you purchased it, and you would have abided by their terms and conditions if you could but they were closed.

2 minutes ago, Logosone said:

That is entirely in line with the capacity for honesty I expect of you.

Yes, of course it would have been nice if the dealership had been flexible, but you need a smart manager for that, to realise better to retain a customer for life than annoy them for a few coins.

If they have to get re-imbursed by a BMW body or partner you can see they are a bit constrained by their own system though.

Either way, it's annoying of course, but good of you to share this with the rest of us.

Definitely.... 

Another facet. Bigger picture if I can see it that way. 

I do not wish to get into a debate / argument with a service centre who are going to be serving my brakes !!!! 

It is disappointing that I would have to ’tred tenderly’ into a discussion with the service centre on this matter, but loss of face in Thailand has consequences. 

Thus, if I were to enter any discussion with the service centre I would wish to do so from such a position of strength with Motorrad Thailand Service Management backing that any question of whether or not the servicing is carried out properly is a non issue. 

Thus: through this thread and based on the response of BMW Motorrad Thailand I now have the knowledge that I cannot enter this discussion from a position of great strength - thus the sensible option is to accept my mistake and see the the service centre respected and that they carry out a service to a professionally high standard. 

I will have the receipt of payment and can raise the issue of ’no compromise’ after the service. 

I don’t see this as a BMW Motorrad Thailand issue, but one of poor direction from BMW Motorrad international in not pre-empting a certain degree of flexibility over this period due to closures etc. 

46 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

In the circumstances (Covid19 and the fact that the service light didn't come on) I think they should make an exception and do it for free. Strictly speaking you should have waited but if the service centre was closed at that time then I think that's enough justification for going 500 km over.

I've heard a lot of bad things about Motorrad Thailand. There was a thread on GT-Rider a few years ago about new parts being swapped for old parts during a service. Also, when I asked for test ride of a S1000RR they said they didn't have bikes for test rides but they'd call me next time a customer's bike was in for service. So bear that in mind, a potential buyer might be ripping up and down the sois on your bike while it's in for service so they can try to make a sale!

One of the reasons I opted for a Ducati.

Some years ago i delivered a BMW at BKK Motorcycles to replace a broken shock.

It was in the shop for about 3 months as i didn't live in bkk and had to travel for work etc. When i picked it up it was full of oily fingermarks, tires nearly flat.. A few months later when i sold the bike it was discovered that the engine number did not match the book anymore and it could not be transferred..

I made some inquiries but never got anywhere. I only had the bike for 1-2 years in my name and it was certainly no mismatch of numbers when i purchased it. Only place it was left unattended during this period was at BKK Motorcycles in Yannawa.

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

You’re still not making sense Kwasaki...   make a relevant point pls. 

Firstly post one if your not bother about money as you portray why not pay the 4000 baht and get your bike serviced if you cannot do it yourself. 

Secondly the dealer is as bad dealer in my book,  so go somewhere else if you have the money to do so as you portray. 

Thirdly your naivety in believing the BMW dealership will not try and screw you is laughable.

Must go fixixing my new clutch friction plates can't be bothered with clowns.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Firstly post one if your not bother about money as you portray why not pay the 4000 baht and get your bike serviced if you cannot do it yourself.

Not sure you understand principles.

Secondly the dealer is as bad dealer in my book,  so go somewhere else if you have the money to do so as you portray. 

They were following BMW policy. 
Their initial response was valid. I found that out after speaking with BMW this morning. 

The dealership followed up fairly and professionally after BMW communicated with them: 

This was a billing issue.

Thirdly your naivety in believing the BMW dealership will not try and screw you is laughable.

They haven’t been trying to screw anyone. 
With hindsight it’s clear they’ve been fair - I must be too naive, you know, by questioning the issue & raising it with BMW.

Must go fixixing my new clutch friction plates can't be bothered with clowns.

Those clutch friction plates... are they in your head because you’ve been nothing other than argumentative and somewhat random in all your comments on this thread.   

• Haha 2