when do you say enough

opalred

On 9/1/2020 at 10:20 PM, opalred said:

we go done and up in life /and look forward to life 

when you get older and have to think /trouble with wife /get rid of here  /or-she will see me out

the car getting old /keep it/ will see me out 

in health sometimes / about a operation /what is  the point /it will see me out

went to hospital today  dr said need operation  on eyes ?

at 77 yrs slowly eyes going/whats the point should see me out ?

Sounds like a very depressing post.

At 77 you should be looking after your life so as to get more out of it, the eyes are the way to the soul they say.

If your car needed headlights to be fixed, would you fix them or drive without them ?.

Your wife might not be the best for you at this point in your life, but at 77 and in poor health, you better listen to that old saying, happy wife, happy life and being alone at your age, no thanks.

Book your operation and be nice to your wife so she can care for you, or don't get the operation, leave your wife and be alone with poor eyesight, you have choices right under your nose, I know which one I would be taking.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

I retired young, spent 10 years in Thailand.

Everything was good for the first few years, but towards the end I was just desperately bored. It was to the point I just couldn't really be bothered to get out of bed in the morning.

It was that along with some other family issues that drove me and my wife to move back to the US.

I got myself a little mindless job with an airline, but it was something that gives me a reason to get out of bed in the morning.

I envy the guys that can retire and basically do nothing. But for me without anything meaningful to do, there are only so many books to read, TV to watch, I could feel myself drifting towards oblivion.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SteveK said:

A rich man is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least. 

Mostly when you are rich you have a lot of things, so you don't really need something more. 

The things you further acquire is just for fun/pleasure. 

12 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

If you retire anywhere, Thailand included, over the years it is not hard to see and do everything there is to see and do.

Over 10 years in Thailand, I drove all over the country and saw many things.

You can only see so many temples, elephants, etc.

I suppose there are some that have retired and don't really have the money to travel too far from home?

I was talking to my wife last night about how hard it would be to retire in Thailand if you didn't have the money to do what ever it is you wanted to do, whenever you wanted to do it?

How would you combat the boredom if you were a normal family person and not a bar-stool hopper or whore monger?

Specifically if you live in Isaan or some other rural areas away from a city, where there really is nothing to do?

The cities, bring up their own problems, where it is not easy to jump in your car and get anywhere if you live in Bangkok or other congested cities. The heat, pollution, overcrowding doesn't make for a pleasant experience. 

Being back in the USA, I drive past lots of retirement complexes. Many have tons of amenities like golf, pool, tennis, clubhouse etc. Lots of seniors seem to be enjoying their golden years with plenty of other seniors. Maybe what is missing in Thailand is close companions you can count on?

I like being able to jump in my car and be at the store in a few minutes, numerous restaurants, etc. Maybe 10 miles to the beach.

However it can be much the same as living in Thailand.

Sooner or later you see and do everything within 300 miles.

Then it can get boring.

Pre-Covid, you could always jump on a plane and head anywhere in the Caribbean pretty cheap and in a few hours. It all comes down to money and time.

Most people are homeowners, always some gardening or other project to take away your time each week.

For me, back to work, have good colleagues to play golf, fishing, boating, visiting with. Working from home is much easier as well.

As you get older, health problems increase.

Do you have the correct affordable insurance so medical bills don't stress you out?

Or is one operation going to break the bank?

Many retired to Thailand 20+ years ago when times were good, never foreseeing how things are today. Rising costs have eaten into many.

With no money to escape boredom, life can be very boring.

boredom is a state of mind.

2 hours ago, thasoss said:

That's why we (usually, canx this year - covid) RV in the states (should be there now, Aug-Jan).....Never boring & in many places that I've seen it is fun to re-see through my wife's eyes.....

She always finds something to snap or admire - I call it 10 step tours = equally enjoyable/sometimes maddening....

A month on the Oregon coast then wander adjoining states by whim - usually hitting 5-10.....We're limited to her 6 months, but, it keeps a nice "life" balance....

This year with C-19 keeping everyone quartered has not been fun.....I've found it boring at times....I've ramped up my exercise program a bit, but no real out and about beyond shopping/market trips.....Time to catch up on reading....

OP - take care of your eyesight...Trapped in darkness without options has to be a terrible thing....

Edited by pgrahmm

16 hours ago, rumak said:

especially with guys who departed Thailand still posting the same thing over and over and over.

just live your life man.    don't worry about us poor souls "stuck" in Thailand.   maybe we like it here.   and don't like the guys you fish and play golf with.    

are you really that lonely?    Florida must have plenty of forums discussing which courts are best for shuffleboard.     

Halleluja! ????

On 9/2/2020 at 7:53 PM, Nout said:

Sounds like clinical depression. Consult a good therapist.

Soi 6 ,  had exceptionally good therapist's .

Then Chinese Flu / Covid-19 ,  made it's presence known .

The rest is modern day History . The World panicked , and  shut down ..