With no foreign tourists, Chiang Mai massage shops resort to offering free massages

webfact

With no foreign tourists, Chiang Mai massage shops resort to offering free massages

8pm.jpg
Picture: Thai Rath

A chain of massage shops in Chiang Mai is offering a special promotion to attract Thai customers.

Lila Thai Massage is offering a free 30 minute foot massage to get customers back and help stave off more redundancies. 

You have to pay for a one hour massage to qualify, though. 

Owner Naowarat Thanasrisutharat said that her regular customer base - the foreign tourists - had all but disappeared. 

She shut when ordered to do so but now five out of her eight branches are open. They are following all the Covid-19 regulations. 

Naowarat, who used to work with female prisoners on rehabilitation programs, started the business as a way of helping ex convicts make a living. 

It has now been expanded but the pandemic devastated her business and left many of her staff in dire straits. 

Now she hopes that by offering Thais a freebie and some extra spa gifts this will inspire them to try out her shops and help her workers get back on their feet. 

She rejected the idea of a cheaper massage, saying that was not feasible but decided that giving a foot massage freebie was the way to go. 

The story from Thai Rath on Facebook only mentioned Thais, notes Thaivisa, so it was not clear whether any foreigners living in Chiang Mai would be eligible for the promotion. 

Source: Thai Rath on Facebook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-02

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Now she hopes that by offering Thais a freebie

Hahaha .. might be better rephrasing that .. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

but decided that giving a foot massage

would be a good idea adding that Long John Silver's are allowed two visits .. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:
9 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Are you sure?

I thought it was 'foot massage', not 'feet massage'.

Sorry my bad .. I'm stumped without me glass eye in .. 

Edited 3 minutes ago by Justgrazing

If you were Scottish, you would have a glass aye.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

If you were Scottish, you would have a glass aye.

Aye reyt ya are noo ..

And if this is a free foot massage how do you decide which is the lucky foot .. and will the other one be hacked off and develop verrucas in protest or something .. they should be clear what they're offering here as there's gonna be some who are left flat footed .. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Lila Thai Massage is offering a free 30 minute foot massage to get customers back and help stave off more redundancies. 

You have to pay for a one hour massage to qualify, though. 

Then it's not free.  I really dislike misleading advertising and lead-ons.  It's a one hour massage for the price of a 30 minute massage - maybe.  Their regular price as 250 THB / hr for foot massage.  No price mentioned in the article so who knows???

"She rejected the idea of a cheaper massage, saying that was not feasible but decided that giving a foot massage freebie was the way to go."

It's not a "freebie" it's a discount.  I'll personally avoid them.  There are plenty of other massage shops that give good massages and offering discounted prices for all their services.  If she doesn't want to offer discounts in a world that is now a buyers market - the she doesn't understand economics.  And she isn't dealing with ignorant tourists who don't know how the game's played. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

Is the report correct that it's only an offer for Thai people? 

The sign is in English. 

I have used that massage place many times before and it's really good and not expensive.  I will go there this week and see if is farangs can take advantage of the offer. If not, I won't be going back again...ever...????

Give us a report.  :wink:

6 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

What is the reference meaning to "Rubbed up" ?

I cannot figure it out 

I think you have to be "on massage" to get the subtilty!

Come again if you don't get it!! But preferably not here.

Edited by fangless