Thailand plans new cash handouts, job measures worth $2.2 billion for economy

webfact

Thailand plans new cash handouts, job measures worth $2.2 billion for economy

REUTERS.jpg

FILE PHOTO: Reuters

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand plans new cash handouts and job measures worth about 68.5 billion baht ($2.2 billion) to support an economy battered by the coronavirus pandemic, a government official said on Wednesday.

The government plans to give 3,000 baht for 15 million people to help boost domestic consumption, Danucha Pichayanan, a spokesman of the government’s task force, told a briefing after a meeting on stimulus measures.

It also plans to help the private sector pay for new hires, estimated to cost about 23.5 billion baht, he said.

($1 = 31.20 baht)

(Reporting by Kitphong Thaichareon; Writing by Orathai Sriring; Editing by Ed Davies)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-09-02

Have to say, that when this pandemic is over, most countries  - including my UK - will be raising taxes to claim back all this money being used to bail people out. I have no issues believing the UK will put them up, and get the money in - all be it annoyingly to the general UK public. BUT. I have serious doubts that Thailand will be able to get back money issued now from people who do not pay tax !

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Have to say, that when this pandemic is over, most countries  - including my UK - will be raising taxes to claim back all this money being used to bail people out. I have no issues believing the UK will put them up, and get the money in - all be it annoyingly to the general UK public. BUT. I have serious doubts that Thailand will be able to get back money issued now from people who do not pay tax !

If you break an entire world economy who is left to pay ?

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Thai VAT increase from 7 percent to 10 percent is an already approved instrument, which could increase the value added tax-income with almost 43 percent...????

Edit/addition: In that way both all us expats, and tourists, will pay a part also...:whistling:

Edited by khunPer