Renewal of Licences, - DLT Ban Lamung, today 2nd September

Pilotman

When to keep your mouth firmly closed. I had my appointment from August, when my documents had been checked off, so I pitched up to go through the process to renew my 2 licences from 2 years to 5. The C of R and medical cert were both now over 3 months old, but there was no further check of the docs.   I didn't have to watch the video, which surprised me.  Just the color, astigmatism and reaction tests. Then wait for the docs to be recorded on the computer. While this was going on, some 50 or so, maybe more,  Thai people came in and off went all the staff to process them ahead of the foreigners who had appointments. With that, one old farang man lost his cool and started berating the staff.  He clearly went to the back of the queue, as he was still there 2 hours later when I left.  The point of this story is; Thais get priority over foreigners, even if you have an appointment.  If they just pitch up, they get seen first. I have no real problem with that, it's their country after all. Second point is, even if you are frustrated by the situation, keep your mouth shut and deal with it. It's only once every 5 years, so it's hardly something to get yourself worked up about. 

Mods, this may need moving to another forum, not sure where it belongs. 

Edited by Pilotman

You are not the only one to testify to this difference, although, personally, I have never had to complain.
And as you point out, they are at home.
I would like to see people react that way in my own country.
But the exact opposite is happening. Foreigners first.
And we, the natives, have to make do.
Hence our aversion to these many and varied peoples.

Hearing these stories makes me glad I’m in Chiang Rai. Last week I renewed my licenses from 2 to 5 year.  Just walked right in with the needed documents. No appointment needed.  Had to do the same tests as described in the OP. Only one other non-Thai there.  We both got served in the correct order.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'm in 2 minds whether to provide all the docs when booking the appointment or hold off until the appointment

In Ban Lamung at least, they will not give you an appointment until they do the documents check?  

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

In Ban Lamung at least, they will not give you an appointment until they do the documents check?  

the question mark is over the medical certificate which is only valid for a week? just depends how pragmatic the person is, i doubt there is a thai word for that

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

the question mark is over the medical certificate which is only valid for a week? just depends how pragmatic the person is, i doubt there is a thai word for that

I can only repeat my own experience,  Once the documents are checked off and you receive your appointment date, that appears to 'freeze' the  validity of the C of R and Med cert, at least  until your appointment date.  

14 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I can only repeat my own experience,  Once the documents are checked off and you receive your appointment date, that appears to 'freeze' the  validity of the C of R and Med cert, at least  until your appointment date.  

Is your Bang Lamung office you mention the main Pattaya one by Regents school?

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Is your Bang Lamung office you mention the main Pattaya one by Regents school?

Yeah thats it, there is only one in BangLamung.

You may find LTD's located in other area's in Chonburi to be less busy, thats been my experience anyways and I will be renewing my licence at the Laem Chabang one in December.

Renewed my 5 year car and motorcycle yesterday at our PDLT. I did notice the poster for E-bookings at the counter. Still no med certificate for 5 year renewals but the law is about to change on that. 

Price, car 505B, M/C

255B, plus 5 Baht charge on each one. 

Tests, still two colour ones, alignment and reaction test. 

Our place lob a highway code book at you to read while you wait to pay and get your photo done. 

I haven't a yellow book and do. Not bother with CoR. I get a letter from Amphur if you are married to Thai, still no charge for that. 

The format of letter has changed, you need passport photo now, two witnesses, and of course passport, marriage certificates. 

Blow me sideways 55, our Amphur not exactly known for farang friendliness said they would help with yellow book, and gave myself a list with what you have to produce. 

This done in the Republic of South Phetchabun. 

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I'll go to the Regent school one, i like the brutal experience, staff pulling their hair out, farang irritating everyone

On my way out, I actually stopped to say thank you and well done to one girl.  She was virtually doing everything by herself.  Apart from the two ladies doing the photograph and issue licences bit, and the pay desk lady, she was by herself, but with two other girls who were either trainees, or didn't know how to use the computers.  She was going from desk to desk doing it all, and on top of that, conducting the various eye tests and feeding the video machine for those who has to watch the video.  Talk about "one armed paper hanger".  What a performance.  And then this idiot of a farang was giving her grief.  I thought I would try to balance what may be her poor impression of farangs by saying thank you for the work she did. She seemed to appreciate that. I just wish sometimes that farangs who get frustrated and gobby in government offices would just shut the fxxk up and relax. It is what it is. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, quake said:

Good on the guy,

pointing out the xenophobic racist behavior.

cost him a few hours , so what.  well done. 

Those who say nothing,  make sure nothing every changes.

Dogs bark, pussies meow. 

Woof Woof :jap:

a pathetic, not to say childish, narrow minded and immature, attitude to your host country and its people. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

On my way out, I actually stopped to say thank you and well done to one girl.  She was virtually doing everything by herself.  Apart from the two ladies doing the photograph and issue licences bit, and the pay desk lady, she was by herself, but with two other girls who were either trainees, or didn't know how to use the computers.  She was going from desk to desk doing it all, and on top of that, conducting the various eye tests and feeding the video machine for those who has to watch the video.  Talk about "one armed paper hanger".  What a performance.  And then this idiot of a farang was giving her grief.  I thought I would try to balance what may be her poor impression of farangs by saying thank you for the work she did. She seemed to appreciate that. I just wish sometimes that farangs who get frustrated and gobby in government offices would just shut the fxxk up and relax. It is what it is. 

No doubt it's a tough job in there with a tough crowd, the lady who usually does the tests looked stressed out to me, needs a holiday

• Like 1