Low water pressure on 7th floor Condo unit

alexpoker

hi all,

Looking for some guidance. I intend to get a plumber to help me with this but Id like to advice on what needs to be done so I know if the plumber is legit or not.

Anyway we have quite low water pressure coming to the bathroom. Faucet and shower. Shower is a bit better but faucet is terrible.

Its a 7th floor unit and we even installed a pump from the main pipe into the water meter, which helped for a couple of weeks but then got really bad again.

What needs to be done here to fix this problem once and for all? Its an older 20 years+ building up here in Chiang Mai. 

We've spent 10k baht on installing pump and some other stuff and now back to square 1.

Please advise!

Thank you in advance!

Very hard for an individual owner to do anything. Pressure depends on the height of the tank above your unit, the flow available, ie the size of the pipes and if there are any 'flat' runs or too many bends.

It is possible to pressurise the water system or part of the water system.

But all of these solutions have to be done by the management as they are outside your unit.

Also some people expect higher pressure than others, sometimes depending on the water heater installed. Thai water heaters tend to need a lower pressure (the water flow) to work, imported ones a higher pressure. Seem to remember a low pressure water heater can work with around 4 litre per minutes, some imported ones wanted 11 litres per minute to switch on.

2 minutes ago, Artisi said:

Is this a new problem or an ongoing problem. 

Have you checked for any blocked filters in the taps, the heater or  shower head? 

tap is new. Replaced it when we installed the pump. Its been going on since the unit was bought, but nothing much was done about it at first as management wouldnt allow any pump installation before, but this time didnt say anything and even showed us where to do it. 

How is the water being served to the building now? Are you relying on the pressurized mains to feed water to each floor, or do some of the floors rely on rooftop water tanks to provide water availability and pressure? 

If it was an issue with just a few taps I would think, as you already suggest, a plumber to examine the lines and suggest a solution.

But if the issue is building-wide then you might be better off with a building-wide solution, like banking water in storage tanks 'somewhere' during off-demand hours for draw later when the mains water pressure is low. 

5 hours ago, alexpoker said:

[...]  we have quite low water pressure coming to the bathroom. Faucet and shower. Shower is a bit better but faucet is terrible.  [...]

...so, what type of water pressure are you experiencing at the kitchen faucet, or other faucets (if any)?

If it worked for a week after installing the pump an replacing the tap then maybe, as has already been suggested, the faucet filter screens are being plugged by hard water deposits or other debris in the line.  What happens if you take the faucet screen filter off and open the tap?

9 minutes ago, RichCor said:

...so, what type of water pressure are you experiencing at the kitchen faucet, or other faucets (if any)?

If it worked for a week after installing the pump an replacing the tap then maybe, as has already been suggested, the faucet filter screens are being plugged by hard water deposits or other debris in the line.  What happens if you take the faucet screen filter off and open the tap?

Hmm I believe the pressure there is normal. ok it makes sense then. So basically I should take off the metal filter thing in the faucet?

6 minutes ago, alexpoker said:

So basically I should take off the metal filter thing in the faucet?

For testing, yes.

Without the screen the water will exit the tap at unwanted angles. If removing the aerators helps, clean it as best you can and put it back and see how long until it becomes plugged again.