Authorities on high alert after Bangkok prison inmate tests positive for Covid-19

webfact

8 hours ago, wombat said:

the common cold is a covid virus

Common coronaviruses of various sorts are NOT the same type of virus or illness as COVID.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/general-information.html

Common human coronaviruses, including types 229E, NL63, OC43, and HKU1, usually cause mild to moderate upper-respiratory tract illnesses, like the common cold. Most people get infected with one or more of these viruses at some point in their lives. This information applies to common human coronaviruses and should not be confused with coronavirus disease 2019 (formerly referred to as 2019 Novel Coronavirus).

2 hours ago, onthedarkside said:

Common coronaviruses of various sorts are NOT the same type of virus or illness as COVID.

COVID-19 is a coronavirus one of the viruses that commonly causes what we call the common cold - fact. Add SARS and MERS to the family.

The common cold is caused by the conoravirus family and the rhinovirus family I believe.

It’s obviously not the same virus but it from the same virus family of which there are a few! And many more that have not been transmitted animal to human as of yet.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/types.html

Edited by MacLec
  • Like 1

So, of the 34 inmates who are possibly infected,

assuming they all have it, and given that 98% recover like that of a normal cold..

then a whopping 0.68 peoples will possibly die.

But yeah, carry on,

thats certainly enough to tack on another 3 months of panic and no economy and no real life for anyone.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai authorities said they were closely tracking the travel and physical contact history of a 37-year-old man being detained over drug charges after he tested positive for Covid-19.

Thai authorities also need to get a grip on Myanmar leaky borders, with Thai traffickers bringing in illegals, they pose a far higher risk, as they are being hired illegally by Thai companies and mingle with the local population.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Thai authorities also need to get a grip on Myanmar leaky borders, with Thai traffickers bringing in illegals, they pose a far higher risk, as they are being hired illegally by Thai companies and mingle with the local population.

Why?The Authorities are the people that own the Thai companies that hire these people so why would they stop them? 

• Like 2

Despite the fact the problem is in Bangkok, almost 400km away, poo ya ban sent my wife home to get a facemask before attending his monthly gabfest.  Apparently we also need a mask whilst driving along in the pick-up! It's been weeks since I have seen anyone here wearing a mask..... ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve never been up to the North of Thailand as I live on one of the islands down South but I understand that up North it’s a very poor area and many people live out in the sticks how do the authorities check these people or do they just presume that the place is Covid free because nobody has walked into a hospital with the infection . Even where I live I have found that over the past 6 weeks a lot of the islanders no longer wear masks I’m speaking about Thais and Foreigners they either have them in their pocket or around their neck and only place it over there mouth and nose if they are going into one of the stores who has an employee standing there taking temperatures. I walked into my AIS shop the other day to pay my phone bill on the door was a huge sign “ No Entry Without Mask “ yet when I went in not one staff member was wearing a mask and a Thai lady who followed me in didn’t have one on they must look at me and think “who’s this idiot with a mask on “ the only time I don’t wear one is when I’m in my car on my own or on my own property .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy John said:

Despite the fact the problem is in Bangkok, almost 400km away, poo ya ban sent my wife home to get a facemask before attending his monthly gabfest.  Apparently we also need a mask whilst driving along in the pick-up! It's been weeks since I have seen anyone here wearing a mask..... ????

I think people are suffering covid fatigue and are a bit over it here as in Europe according to this article in the ABC.Spain isn't going into lockdown for it's second wave as I guess they've realised it was not worth the effort and damage to the economy and the people they tried to save died anyway.As the experts were saying in the beginning that it can't be stopped maybe slowed down but not stopped.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-05/why-europe-has-not-locked-down-despite-covid-19-second-wave/12623804

• Like 2

23 hours ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

If he didn't infect 1 person that would be a Miracle "Thailand land of Miracles!!"

In another article 130 officials he came in contact tested negative too.

As his arrest was fairly recent, any infections in officials will be in early stages so all will have to be retested in a week or two before anything is definitive.

But as a (1) DJ and (2) drug dealer he will have had a large number of other contacts nto all of whom can readily be traced, methinks

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2020 at 9:30 PM, Nout said:

How mysterious is the nature of contagion and infection spread? Please...biology 101 for you. Not odd at all...I think you may be happy with this news..And every other misfortune that falls on this country.

I am not at all happy with this news and your assumption is absurd.