Installing Shower Water Heater ... Recomendations?

rchapstick

I am getting an apartment near On Nut, and I will need to install an electrical water heater for the shower. I've seen lots of discussion on the board about bad wiring jobs ... enough to be very concerned. I have not found a post specifically on point for this, so I am asking ...

1) Can anyone recommend a competent electrician to do the work?

2) What brands and/or speicifications should I be looking for for the heater?

3) What should I be specifying for the wiring with the electrician (e.g. grounding, GFI, etc)?

4) As this is an apartment, are there some issues (e.g. no ground wire) that can be worked around, or would I need to give the place up and look elsewhere?

I really do not mind spending on the high end to have this done right. Thanks for any and all help.

My approach would be to get the landlord to do it at your expense, thus no arguments from that direction, however, you may have problems removing it when you leave, which may be a problem anyway.

In my own house, I had my water heaters installed by a major appliance retailer who have "engineers" on staff that install and maintain the appliances they sell.

Whichever heater you choose, strongly recommend you buy one that has a temperature adjustment feature prominently displayed on the front of the unit and easy to use.

If you have adequate ventilation I would recommend going with a gas water heater. The safest way to install an electric water heater is to install it outside the shower area and get a longer hose to supply the nozzle.

I'm sure that someone with a lot of expertise will come on soon and give you the low down on the installation needs....otherwise look in the real estate forum and you will find a thread or two on domestic electrical wiring stuff....it has been discussed there thoroughly.

chownah

My approach would be to get the landlord to do it at your expense, thus no arguments from that direction, however, you may have problems removing it when you leave, which may be a problem anyway.

In my own house, I had my water heaters installed by a major appliance retailer who have "engineers" on staff that install and maintain the appliances they sell.

Whichever heater you choose, strongly recommend you buy one that has a temperature adjustment feature prominently displayed on the front of the unit and easy to use.

Then your estate can sue the landlord when you die in the shower :o

Then your estate can sue the landlord when you die in the shower :o

My thoughts exactly!!!

Gas is not an option here, so If I am gonna have a warm shower, its going to be from one of those small electric heaters.

I did a search, but these things are not very targeted, and I got pages and pages of horror stories ... hence my concerns.

If ANYONE has a recommendation or two, I would be most appreciative

Perhaps much as ProThaiExpat did, I went to a big appliance dealer, chose a 6000 watt National brand new heater, and arranged to have it installed for a paltry 200 or 300 baht. Quickly, two engineers came to the condo and installed it. What amazed me is that for a few dollars' expense, they did the plumbing, electrical, and drilled holes in the concrete wall! The union men in my home country would have required 3 separate guys at $80 apiece.

You probably don't need a 6000 watt heater; I had a bathtub.

Right on PB. However I'm a Seimens fan. Had them installed in all my lavs for sink, shower & tub and plumbed so can control water temp the old fashioned way, like back home using the water control lever. For multi point installation the 12,000 Watt unit is great, but needs 3 phaase wiring, but can also be wired if 3 phase not available, with less output using single phase.

Pro Thai had an excellent point. If you purchase from large, reputable retailer, let them do the installation, sometimes its free, and pay only for some wires & plumbing. They will usually guarantee their work along with product guarantee.

Yes, the big dealer warranteed his work. The excessive water pressure on the 6th floor of a 14 storey building caused some problem, and they came back for free, although they charged me to put in a cutoff valve so that the heater only had high pressure when it was being used.

Where I now live, the upstairs lavatory and downstairs shower work off an old heater that takes forever to heat up. So, to have hot water in the upstairs shower, we found an old used machine and had it installed.

I got spoiled in the USA with gas water heaters of 40, then 50 gallons each, and finally in a triplex, I joined two 30 gallon heaters! You could do the laundry, wash the dishes, and take a shower and somebody else take a bath, all at the same time.

What would be a "good" retailer?

HomePro are supposed to be pretty good for this sort of thing, big choice but not cheap. They do seem to have their own electrical chaps with tools (not a table knife and a pair of scissors).

Whatever you get it must:-

1. Be PROPERLY grounded
  2. Have an ELCB, RCD, RCCB, GFI, Safe-T-Cut (all the same thing by the way) in the distribution panel for your safety.
  3. Be a properly shower approved model if you insist on mounting it in the shower cubicle

Instant water heater? Rinnai brand.

I have them in Japan, in BKK and upcountry. So reliable you never know they are there.

The first 2 were there when apertments were taken, the upcountry one was installed by local "engineer", for a song.

The thing is cheap enough not to worry about removing it when rental period ends.

Why does practically every question on this forum get complicated convoluted answers making the OP even more confused than when the question was asked?

The Op said he was moving into an apartment and I would guess to my over simplified mind he was asking about the “Instant hot water shower units”. The electrical ones that you screw to the wall connect the flexible hose and wire it up and away you go.

The first thing to do would be to check if there are any electrical wires or fittings in the bathroom already. Maybe the last tenant had a shower unit that he took with him or her.

If no wires hanging off the wall the electrical connection may be a bit of a problem. As suggested get the landlord to arrange to fit it for you then there will be no one to blame if there is a problem.

The water connection is straightforward as the flexible hose from the existing shower will screw straight into the water heater. If you don’t have an existing cold water shower then it gets a little more complex but still easy to take a feed off toilet or basin.

I have a National shower water heater that I installed myself. It has been working great for over 3 years.

It has an integrated electrical safety cut out and a knob to adjust the water flow if the pressure is too high. If the water flow is to fast it won’t have time to heat up.

As we have fairly low pressure the model I bought has an internal pump to boost the flow. The whole thing is nice compact unit that hangs there on the bathroom wall and does a wonderful job.

You can see and buy these all over the place, any electrical shop, don’t be put off if they only seem to have TVs on display go inside and you will be sure to see some units. The best places to see a selection is the chain stores like Lotus or Big C or any of those.

Good Luck.

D.D.