Internet non ADSL

jonwilly

I live in a condo near to CM uni. Late afternoon I prefer to watch TV series and films via my set top box.

Over the months I have found that connectivity  decreases as the day moves on and depending on what I am watching some programs channels become unworkable.

The spinning wheel becomes more and more prominent and downloads soon becomes impractical.

I an no expert on the net but I will suggest my problem is that mid afternoon onwards more folk, uni students of which the majority of people in my condo are, gradually come onto the net there bye taking up the bandwidth provided by the service provider.

I am now on Si net, ADSL,  100 Mbps download, 40 Mbps upload and normally this is good, morning to mid afternoon, after which it starts to deteriorate.

Does anyone know if there is an internet service that is non ADSL.

Several others are advertised in my condo but all are ADSL.

With the yearly movements of students I no longer know my neighbours so cannot ask there.

john

Edited by jonwilly
spelling

you pay peanuts you get a <deleted> service your node maybe 100 people on it or more they do not tell you this when one signs up and they take your money. I myself share with only 4 other people on my node but at a price which I am happy to pay 3k per month

35 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

I am now on Si net, ADSL,  100 Mbps download, 40 Mbps upload and normally this is good, morning to mid afternoon, after which it starts to deteriorate.

Does anyone know if there is an internet service that is non ADSL.

Several others are advertised in my condo but all are ADSL.

...just a small niggle, I think you're on VDSL (ADSL deliveres 24mbps max at best). Probably Sinet serves FIBER to the building, but due to politics or other in-building restrictions SI can only deliver VDSL over existing building copper to the individual condos.

The quality degradation issue you're experiencing, as Whiteman suggests, probably has to do with you sharing Internet provider local Infrastructure with 1000s of uni students. To test this theory, run a few SPEEDTESTS using various endsite locations (Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Singapore, US, EU, etc. etc.) at ifferet times throughout the day and see if the impact is truly local (network congestion), or specific to an foreign website or service (overseas peer provider network congestion).

The only way to know if another provider would be 'better' is to ask other condo users in the building about their recent or current experience with alternative providers.

The company which built the condo was probably too cheap to install fibre to the rooms, and the condo management company is too lazy to make a deal with a telco to get fibre in the rooms.

Thus you can't get fibre, but only VDSL. Changing to a different provider (one which only few people in your condo use) could help.

There was little in the way of internet when my Condo was built.

There are several internet providers who advertise their services in the lobby of my place and as I said I no longer know any of the young folk who i could have a chat with I am just looking for recommendations which I can then chase up.

john

24 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

There was little in the way of internet when my Condo was built.

There are several internet providers who advertise their services in the lobby of my place and as I said I no longer know any of the young folk who i could have a chat with I am just looking for recommendations which I can then chase up.

john

You just have to check what is available. I am having internet that is 10x faster( 1000 Mbps up and down)  then yours I pay around 1400 baht for it from 3bb. But the question is not what is available. The question what can be installed. You should chat up the condo management. 

I'd suggest asking which if any of the various internet Providers can run FIBER Internet DIRECTLY into your condo. Even if you start at 200/200 mpbs, just having that much more overhead from your current provisioned contract would help with any slowdown you might experience. And with fiber, if you want to bump up to the next speed tier (up to 1000 mbps) it's usually just a matter of making a phone call and letting them to make edits on their side.

AIS is the new kid on the block, has the exclusive rights in Thailand to deliver HBO streaming, but you really need feedback from other nearby users so see how well 3BB, AIS, Sinet, True, TOT, et al stack up against each other on the type of surfing/streaming YOU want to be doing.

13 hours ago, whiteman said:

you pay peanuts you get a <deleted> service your node maybe 100 people on it or more they do not tell you this when one signs up and they take your money. I myself share with only 4 other people on my node but at a price which I am happy to pay 3k per month

3k THB per month....  too funny and ridiculous....  I pay 600 THB per month and have no issue with connection or speed.

I have just watch 2 episodes of a UK TV series which I have had connection problems with in the say 16.00 hrs mid to late afternoon early evening.

No hesitation, as near as perfect as I could hope for so I am now convinced that it is when the many students return and overload my Si net connection.

Thanks to the people who made serious helpful comments I will now look at either changing or seeing if I can sign up to an upgrade download.

3BB looks good I know they supply to my condo.

john

Edited by jonwilly
spelling

I would definitely try another provider as Sinet's customer service is awful in my experience. When I noticed they were offering faster speeds for the same price I was paying, I asked them to upgrade my line and was told I would have to go to their office and apply for a new contract as only new customers were entitled to the offer on higher-speed connections. That was a couple of years ago and needless to say I didn't bother going to their offices. I had two connections at the time and kept the other one, which is with TOT. They have upgraded my connection speed every time they have introduced a higher speed at the same price I'm paying so my original 50 MB download speed is now 500 MB. No messing about and no demands to waste time going to their local office.

I wouldn't give my business to a company that thinks new customers are more important than loyal customers who have been with them for several years.

Edited by Mark1066