Skills lost due to COVID school closures will hit output for generations - OECD

snoop1130

Skills lost due to COVID school closures will hit output for generations - OECD

By Christian Lowe

2020-09-08T090955Z_1_LYNXMPEG870OM_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-IRAN-SCHOOLS.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A teacher is seen through a glass panel as she holds an online class which is part of measures to help prevent the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19), at Al-Mahdi School in Tehran, Iran September 5, 2020. Picture taken September 5, 2020. Majid Asgaripour/WANA (West Asia News Agency) via REUTERS

PARIS (Reuters) - Disruption to schooling stemming from the COVID-19 epidemic will cause a skill loss that could result in a 1.5% drop in global economic output for the rest of this century, the Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development estimated.

For the United States, that will represent an economic loss of $15.3 trillion, the OECD said in a report published on Tuesday, with the bill rising higher still if disruption to education extends into the next academic year.

"Learning loss will lead to skill loss, and the skills people have relate to their productivity," the report said, explaining the forecast drop in global GDP.

Governments around the world closed schools to curb the spread of COVID-19, in most cases for around 10 weeks, or one third of a year of schooling.

One impact was to widen the gaps in educational opportunities between the rich and poor. Children with internet access, computers, and supportive families fared better.

"Students from privileged backgrounds ... could find their way past closed school doors to alternative learning opportunities. Those from disadvantaged backgrounds often remained shut out when their schools shut down," the report said.

Even as schools in many countries re-open, big challenges remain for education, according to the OECD report. Schools must navigate how to re-open without causing a new spike in infections.

With economies contracting, there is a risk education budgets will shrink, the report said. And universities will have to reinvent themselves so they stay attractive to students even when they can longer offer the traditional campus experience.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-09-08

universities will have to reinvent themselves so they stay attractive to students even when they can (no) longer offer the traditional campus experience. --

Over paid and overrated uni-professors.  Maybe a cut in the high salaries will bring the costs of a higher education back down to a reasonable investment. 

• Like 1

This topic should be of interest for all people. It is about the basic of everything, for everybody, it is about your ability to get Butter and bread on your table,  get energy for your tv, Ac..., its is about the level of your income for the rest of your live etc.

"for generations"

" for United States, that will represent an economic loss of $15.3 trillion"

thats 15 300 000 000 000 Dollars.

just for the USA

and what !

it seems , nobody is interested !!!  Just 3 silly remarks about "overpaid"professors, uselessness of school and education ..(YOU just proved it).

It is not about the normal <deleted> "Trump the idiot  ", Boris the looser (wants children be back to school! insane !)

not about price of beer and prostitutes in bars , not about the on digit (!) number of covid "victims) in Australia,

not about "yellowlives matter in Iceland", not about how effective the former Army General fights(!) against the deadly virus...

I did understand  the consequences of lockdown even before they started. But, I do not control the media of the world. I do not own "Reuters", The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal and the  New York Times ,foxnews, Disney, ...   I do not even control state owned broadcasting. Nor do I have the dominating influence of the most important governments of the world. (Merkel does not invite me, I am not a billionaire like Soros and B.Gates )I can not even chose the head of the WHO (would need more money for that..) 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/katevinton/2016/06/01/these-15-billionaires-own-americas-news-media-companies/

rant off

money talks:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-28380634

Forbes Media has announced it has sold a majority stake in the company to a Hong Kong-based group of international investors.

international investors  

There is not even a need to make public, that you control the public/media ....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dieter1 said:

This topic should be of interest for all people. It is about the basic of everything, for everybody, it is about your ability to get Butter and bread on your table,  get energy for your tv, Ac..., its is about the level of your income for the rest of your live etc.

"for generations"

" for United States, that will represent an economic loss of $15.3 trillion"

thats 15 300 000 000 000 Dollars.

just for the USA

and what !

it seems , nobody is interested !!!  Just 3 silly remarks about "overpaid"professors, uselessness of school and education ..(YOU just proved it).

It is not about the normal <deleted> "Trump the idiot  ", Boris the looser (wants children be back to school! insane !)

not about price of beer and prostitutes in bars , not about the on digit (!) number of covid "victims) in Australia,

not about "yellowlives matter in Iceland", not about how effective the former Army General fights(!) against the deadly virus...

I did understand  the consequences of lockdown even before they started. But, I do not control the media of the world. I do not own "Reuters", The Washington Post, The Wall Street Journal and the  New York Times ,foxnews, Disney, ...   I do not even control state owned broadcasting. Nor do I have the dominating influence of the most important governments of the world. (Merkel does not invite me, I am not a billionaire like Soros and B.Gates )I can not even chose the head of the WHO (would need more money for that..) 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/katevinton/2016/06/01/these-15-billionaires-own-americas-news-media-companies/

rant off

Keep in mind these projections people make are notoriously wrong and likely designed to instill fear in people.