What would you do?

Lacessit

You knew at the time & should have turned around and corrected the error.....I've done this and the startled look of gratitude made it feel very worthwhile.....

It's possible the employee might have had to make it up - or lost their job due to the oversight....

Or - you were perceived to be a quick change artist....

I would've gone back....Even if a couple of days later....

It's been a month = you never had any intent to make it right....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

You knew at the time & should have turned around and corrected the error.....I've done this and the startled look of gratitude made it feel very worthwhile.....

It's possible the employee might have had to make it up - or lost their job due to the oversight....

Or - you were perceived to be a quick change artist....

I would've gone back....Even if a couple of days later....

It's been a month = you never had any intent to make it right....

Read my post #30. Let me know when you've extracted the foot from your mouth.

I once  had a situation involving a credit on the till for an item that  had been incorrectly priced and which I declined to accept realizing after paying . In the process somehow I was given  a credit  that was in excess of the entire cost of the many other items I had  purchased. After checking  my  change I went  back to the  cashier and tried to explain the  fact with  my  wife assisting  in Thai.

With  many smiles and  explanations  she insisted  that  I (we) were  mistaken.

Feeling  quite  guilty but having tried  we headed  home 50 kms away about 700 Bht plus goods up on the day.

About 15 minutes into that drive home my wife  got a frantic  telephone call to her  number linked to Customer Card Benefit details. A 15  minute   wait  on the roadside and the panicked and embarrassed young  cashier arrived on her  motorcycle to receive the balance we had attempted to refund.

On a subsequent  visit to that same large shop we learned that she had been fired for it despite recovering the cash and balancing her till.

On 9/11/2020 at 1:07 AM, Bangkokhatter said:

This happened to me a month back buying an ice cream in Mega, i noticed the girls mistake almost immediately and gave her the money back.

She was so relieved and gave me a very nice wai, i imagine she would be held accountable for any mistakes in the takings and the mistake in change was probably more than her days salary.

I once presented travellers cheques in a bank that amounted to about 500,000 baht and they tried to give me a million baht. Can't say I wasn't tempted but I told them before they handed over the cash. I don't recall any nice wais, but she did say thank you.

• Like 2

Perhaps ask yourself this question, "What would you do if you got home and discovered you were short changed?" 

What would be the chances of you receiving your money back?  Let's be honest, it's zero.  Would she admit to short changing you?  Would the manager accept your story?  No.

The Thai's rip farang off with impunity, should you lower yourself to their level?

Certainly a moral dilemma.

• Like 1