What would you do?

Lacessit

About a month ago, I was buying a takeaway yakisoba from a Japanese restaurant in Big C. I take it back to my condo,and juice it up with some wasabi paste. 120 baht.

I was paying for it, and proffered a 1000 baht note. I then realized I had something smaller, and swapped it for a 500 baht note.

I'd just left the store, counting my change as I usually do. I realized she had mistakenly given me change for 1000 baht.

What would you do?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

About a month ago,

Why does this come to your mind now, a month later?

I think if you go there again and if you remember the cashier then maybe ask them something like: "I think there was a mistake last time I visited". If they remember it then pay. If nobody remembers anything then you would just confuse them if you want to give them now the extra 500B.

Edited by OneMoreFarang

On my side it does not happen very often, but if I notice it always depends how the person treated me. If fair and polite, I would give it back. Otherwise not.

In your case I would go and see if the person still works there. Once confirmed ,give her the 500 Baht and explain yourself to her.

Edited by Paiman
  • Like 1

They will probably inform the supervisor right away that some alien just brought back a handful of money and now the cashier is in more trouble.  Not to mention the embarrassment you will cause.  It is worth them loosing 500 baht to prevent 'losing face'.  

If you don't return the money she might lose her job.  If you return the money she will definitely lose her job.

Edited by johnray
  • Sad 1

I always count to shop near bye our village home, older woman always count wrong! I just wondering how much she loose money to other people! She have huspend from Swizerland and have live there ,still not speak almost any english.

One day try talk her whith french and german she not speak those either.

Anyway everybody should give money back if get wrong! 

Edited by 2 is 1
  • Like 1

I think Lacessit returned the money immediately. He said he noticed just after leaving...

So he just wants to know how many respondents are heartless with a dishonest streak in them. I say heartless because anyone here longer than a short vacation knows the employee gets stuck covering the shortage...

Me, I'm turning on my heel and heading back to return the money. It's a bonus if she's cute and sees that I'm jaidee and worthy of buying her lunch!  ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, johnray said:

They will probably inform the supervisor right away that some alien just brought back a handful of money and now the cashier is in more trouble.  Not to mention the embarrassment you will cause.  It is worth them loosing 500 baht to prevent 'losing face'.  

If you don't return the money she might lose her job.  If you return the money she will definitely lose her job.

If the excess change is not quickly returned there's very likely another issue; when the money is counted at the end of the shift the whole team are suspected and they suspect each other.

Not a desirable situation. 

This thread is like the curate's egg, good and bad in parts. It's good many posters opted for honesty. It's depressing several jumped to unwarranted conclusions, or attacked me personally. One poster realized I had returned the excess money immediately, and was simply interested in what others would do in my situation.

Whoever said virtue is its own reward was not completely accurate. Since the event, the waitress smiles and waves to me every time I go there, and I'm pretty sure I get express service on a takeaway. When I took my Thai GF there about a fortnight ago, she and the waitress had a fairly lengthy conversation in which the words jai dee were used several times. My GF later told me the waitress had said she was on minimum wage, 300 baht/day.

• Like 1