Qatar & Etihad Airlines

stament

I've flown with Emirates on a couple of occassions now and have been impressed with their all-round service and inparticular their great inflight entertainment (on-demand). I've also flown BA, EVA & Thai direct and thought Eva were much better than the other two as they had newer planes.

How do Qatar & Etihad compare to Emirates in terms of overall service and specific points.

Would appreciate comments

Thanks

I am also thinking of flying from Manchester with Etihad or Qatar in the near future and would like to join with stament and learn more about these two airlines from our more experienced travellers. :D

Waiting in anticipation. :D

And thanks to stament for asking the question. :o

Steve :D

I've flown with Emirates on a couple of occassions now and have been impressed with their all-round service and inparticular their great inflight entertainment (on-demand). I've also flown BA, EVA & Thai direct and thought Eva were much better than the other two as they had newer planes.

How do Qatar & Etihad compare to Emirates in terms of overall service and specific points.

Thanks

I've flown with all of them and for overall value for money I prefer Etihad. Good inflight entertainment and food and only 2 hour wait at Abu Dhabi, although the airport is on the small side! ebookers has best prices.

Jim

I've flown a couple of time with Qatar and am now a frequent flyer with Etihad. I could go on forever about the plus points with Etihad, as they offer a truly superb service.

However Qatar slightly beat Etihad and are one of the five airlines given a 5 star rating by Skytrax. Visit this site if you want to know everything about these and other airlines...

www.airlinequality.com

Personally, I would fly Etihad every time. The last time I flew with them, I had an 8hr transit stop in Abu Dhabi. They put me up in a superb hotel and had personal Mercedes limo take me and pick me up from the hotel, and all paid for by Etihad. :o

Guemlum

Edited by Guemlum

Thanks

Emirates, Ethiad and Qatar are all very similar in every way. Emirates are more established meaning more flights (which is important if your a frequent flyer wanting to build up airmiles) but ethiad and qatar are more modern with newer aircaft and the same seat back entertainment systems you get with emirates.

Emirates in Economy seats 10 people per row. Sardines in a 3-4-3 configuration. They have good AV which makes up for the tight fit.

All 3 rate high. Premium cabins, I'd go for price as they're all good.

Economy, I'd avoid Emirates unless it was significantly cheaper.

Jet Airways now flying to BKK too. May want to check thier fares through India too.

Thanks for all the info guys. I usually fly with KLM but expensive at around xmas time (I think that is when I wil be going :D ) southall travel are quoting (online) £300 + tax for November (Qatar) and from 14 December to 13 January £335+tax (Etihad).

Think I will phone them in the morning. :D

Thanks again you clever lot. :D

Now all I need is a flight to Udon Thani (watch for my new thread when I confirm my Int flight) :o .

What is "AV"?

Is there much difference in their luggage allowance and attitude to excesses? (This may seem irrelevant to holiday-makers, but I live in Thailand and like to take gifts out and bring unavailable items back.)

Any info by thailand residents who buy return tkts from here would be particularly helpful & v gratefully received.

bhc

Emirates in Economy seats 10 people per row. Sardines in a 3-4-3 configuration. They have good AV which makes up for the tight fit.

This configuration is on the 777 only. The A330 has a 2-4-2 layout.

I am flying Qatar Airlines for the first time in July, to Doha and Manchester, and will write a trip report about my findings.

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I should have said that I would be flying ECONOMY as I know some of you guys are fortunate to travel in business, etc.

I thought the inflight entertainment on Emirates was absolutely superb. However, it wasn't on both legs of their planes (the on-demand and 100s of movies) when I flew out before. Is this a similar situation with Etihad & Qatar? Are they only on specific planes or newer ones? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the great responses.

ps "AV" - I guess they're referring to Audio/Visual but I could be wrong

Edited by stament

Qatar is good, and I do like the 2-4-2 seating as I travel as two.

Timings to Manchester are good. The enlarged Doha airport is better than it was.

Don't like Abu Dhabi airport, small and noisy and the Ethiad Manchester connection is middle of the night.

Thanks for all the info guys. I usually fly with KLM but expensive at around xmas time (I think that is when I wil be going :D ) southall travel are quoting (online) £300 + tax for November (Qatar) and from 14 December to 13 January £335+tax (Etihad).

Now all I need is a flight to Udon Thani (watch for my new thread when I confirm my Int flight) :o .

If you've been quoted a flight for £335+tax going on them specified dates I'd rip their arm off!

This configuration is on the 777 only. The A330 has a 2-4-2 layout.

Thanks. Didn't know about the better seats on the 330.

What is "AV"?

Sorry, I should have said Audio/Video, or as it's sometimes called AVOD 'Audio Video On Demand'

If you've been quoted a flight for £335+tax going on them specified dates I'd rip their arm off!

Let's assume that fare's not available for the dates you need (out mid dec back mid jan) which it isnt is it and since i'm in work and it's quiet and i'm bored i've just been looking around and there's a published fare for £367 again with qatar but it's departing 11Dec and back 14Jan

1. QR 42 K 11DEC MANDOH HS1 0920 1910 O E TU

2. QR 612 K 11DEC DOHBKK HS1 2030 £0650 O E TU

3. QR 611 Q 14JAN BKKDOH HS1 2000 2330 O E MO

4. QR 41 Q 15JAN DOHMAN HS1 0220 0715 O E TU

>FQBBCQR

*** BEST BUY QUOTATION ***

LOWEST FARE AVAILABLE FOR THIS ITINERARY

*** NO REBOOK REQUIRED ***

PSGR QUOTE BASIS FARE TAXES TOTAL PSG DES

FQG 1 KLPXRT| GBP 367.00 126.50 493.50 AD

GUARANTEED

GRAND TOTAL INCLUDING TAXES **** GBP 493.50

Give southall a bell and see if they can knock anymore off.

I've flown a couple of time with Qatar and am now a frequent flyer with Etihad. I could go on forever about the plus points with Etihad, as they offer a truly superb service.

However Qatar slightly beat Etihad and are one of the five airlines given a 5 star rating by Skytrax. Visit this site if you want to know everything about these and other airlines...

www.airlinequality.com

Personally, I would fly Etihad every time. The last time I flew with them, I had an 8hr transit stop in Abu Dhabi. They put me up in a superb hotel and had personal Mercedes limo take me and pick me up from the hotel, and all paid for by Etihad. :o

Guemlum

I have to echo all of the above points regarding Etihad.

I have flown Qatar a few times but was unimpressed.

Value for money, food quality, freindliness of staff......nothing beats Etihad IMO

I recently paid 30,000Baht for a return trip to the UK. I thought that was very cheap with only a 2 hour layover

Hi wayne, I just missed your post (btw I am from Walkden near swinton m/c) nice to meet you. :D

I have just (before I read your post) with south all travel my itinerary is

10/12/07 to 14/01/08

(L) M/C 20.15 (A) D/H 6.05 (L) D/H 8.13 (A) BKK 18.50

(L) BKK 7.50 (A) D/H 11.20 (L) D/H (A) M/C 18.15

I got this for £505 so I am happy with that (as you can guess) :D

My only problem is that I have never overstayed before (this time about 7 days, I am to excited to work it out yet) so any advice on what I should do (pay on arrival pay later etc) would help. :o

Thanks to everyone (to happy to type now ) :D

I fly regularly between Bangkok and Dubai (DXB) or Abu Dhabi (AUH). The video on demand has been available on all my flights over the past year. Almost always operated by the wide-bodied Boeing 777 on both Etihad and Emirates.

I have a preference for Emirates as my wife works for them, but I think Etihad are equally good in economy class. Etihad may be less well known, but it is the airline of Abu Dhabi, whose oil reserves make it richer than its Dubai cousin. Etihad is able to learn from Emirates and avoid any mistakes that the latter may have made in the past.

I fly regularly between Bangkok and Dubai (DXB) or Abu Dhabi (AUH). The video on demand has been available on all my flights over the past year. Almost always operated by the wide-bodied Boeing 777 on both Etihad and Emirates.

I have a preference for Emirates as my wife works for them, but I think Etihad are equally good in economy class. Etihad may be less well known, but it is the airline of Abu Dhabi, whose oil reserves make it richer than its Dubai cousin. Etihad is able to learn from Emirates and avoid any mistakes that the latter may have made in the past.

Thanks Mackem, nice to know.

I've flow regular with both airlines (living in Qatar) and agree with what most people have said there is nothing between the two airlines. Go with the one with the best connection. I've experienced delays leaving Qatar on a regular basis, but it does seem to be improving, both airports are boring is you have to spend several hours there.

What you might find is that the flight to Bangkok is an older plane that the flight from Manchester (the service in Business class is far superior flying to Europe than Asia)

Qatar Airways intend to be one of the biggest airlines in the world and they will be the way they are expanding at the moment.

Good luck

Ps. When booking flights from Thailand I've found that Save flights provide a great service (ticket delivery)

http://www.saveflights.com/index.html

I've flow regular with both airlines (living in Qatar) and agree with what most people have said there is nothing between the two airlines. Go with the one with the best connection. I've experienced delays leaving Qatar on a regular basis, but it does seem to be improving, both airports are boring is you have to spend several hours there.

What you might find is that the flight to Bangkok is an older plane that the flight from Manchester (the service in Business class is far superior flying to Europe than Asia)

Qatar Airways intend to be one of the biggest airlines in the world and they will be the way they are expanding at the moment.

Good luck

Ps. When booking flights from Thailand I've found that Save flights provide a great service (ticket delivery)

I have flown with most airlines going now I think that Eva, and Thai are amazing airlines.

Qutar airlines are a Joke and I will avoid flying with them at all cost, I am usually the last person to complain and I would fly in a cargo plane full of chickens if it meant getting to Thailand in a timely manner.

I have had the experience with flying with them on 2 occasions the 1st I was delayed out of BKK for 4 hours which meant I missed my Doha connection to London and flew into Frankfurt I have no idea how many hours this put on the flight but it was emotional.

The 2nd time I flew with them they didn’t have any booze, food was awful and 6-7 hours in Doha is just painfully boring.

For a few more pounds you could get a direct flight with Eva.

Hi wayne, I just missed your post (btw I am from Walkden near swinton m/c) nice to meet you. :D

10/12/07 to 14/01/08

My only problem is that I have never overstayed before (this time about 7 days, I am to excited to work it out yet) so any advice on what I should do (pay on arrival pay later etc) would help. :o

Get a tourist visa.

I flew Qatar just recently and thought they were great value for money - I also wangled an upgrade to Business class on the way home which was outstanding. And am currently looking into flights to Jakarta and again Qatar seem to be the cheapest and best

Edited by Soph

As pilgrim pointed out some people are just unlucky! by the way when are you travelling next so that I know to stay clear!

I was also delayed in Bangkok with EVA for five and half hours missing my UK connection (Domestic) then I was made to pay for my hotel stop over due to buying the tickets seperate to the EVA ticket!

I personnaly prefer a direct flight and have used EVA many times but I prefer flying from Manchester instead of London it's becoming a joke trevelling through LHR(when in the UK)

Good luck

I have flown with most airlines going now I think that Eva, and Thai are amazing airlines.

Qutar airlines are a Joke and I will avoid flying with them at all cost, I am usually the last person to complain and I would fly in a cargo plane full of chickens if it meant getting to Thailand in a timely manner.

I have had the experience with flying with them on 2 occasions the 1st I was delayed out of BKK for 4 hours which meant I missed my Doha connection to London and flew into Frankfurt I have no idea how many hours this put on the flight but it was emotional.

The 2nd time I flew with them they didn’t have any booze, food was awful and 6-7 hours in Doha is just painfully boring.

For a few more pounds you could get a direct flight with Eva.

In the last 2 years I've flown KLM, ex aberdeen - OK but no AVOD. Thai 2x ex heathrow, again no AVOD, 1st time crap service, but 2nd time better. EVA 3x, all excellent. Last time I went with Qatar, AVOD & excellent service, and their frequent flyer programm gives me an extra 10kg luggage allowance next time. I fly with them again in June, and this will give me use of their lounge in Doha the time after. All conns have been and will be about 1 hour.

In summary, with good connections, I'm happy to break my journey, and the Qatar frequent flyer gives better (or at least earlier) benefits.

But if EVA were the same cost, I'd rather go direct.

FWIW....

10/12/07 to 14/01/08

Get a tourist visa.

Thanks for the advice endure, and thanks to all for posting.