"What about us!?" Thais in relationships with foreigners separated by pandemic speak out

rooster59

32 minutes ago, Bezdomny said:

Reading comments here, majority of expats on TVF are young, handsome and married to max 2 years younger woman who is CEOs and they meet in theater or opera.  ????????

Nope.   I am pretty sure I am the only one .     

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Yes it is outrageous... so would be hundreds of tourists saying they want to come to meet their girlfriends pretending to be in relationships, what would qualify as a relationship... FB/Line/snapchat/IG conversations?

A line has to be drawn somewhere.
Certificated partnerships is that line.

I seriously doubt that "hundreds of tourists" would make any difference whatsoever. 

8 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

3 years...  

.... and you are continuing to fit into the exact same ‘stereotype’ stephen tracy painted....  (belief held by your own personal experiences of hooker-john scenario).

Touches a nerve with some people, are you saying it doesn't happen and no guys pay a monthly salary?

Nope.... thats what you want to imply I’m saying. 

What I am saying is that you have implied all foreigners who are with Thai women are paying to be with them.

I know that not to be true of every single foreigner I know here who’s married to a Thai lady. 

Thus, the implication you have made is more telling of your exposure to Thailand and the relationships than anyone else. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OnTheRun said:

All very well but in my case (and many others) who work outwith Thailand and travel back and fore it's not that easy. I left Thailand on 3rd June and obviously have not been able to return.

In that case one has to decide carefully if it's better to move the family / partner abroad (after getting married) to a country that allows partners to join, quit the job or leave and yes - be prepared not to be able to return.

Your decision to leave TH and go back to work was voluntary and made for economic reasons so it's not like you got caught up somehow. And I get it, who would give up a well paid job in this economy just for the sake of staying in Thailand, that wouldn't make much sense. But if a relationship is making this decision hard then I'd either legally legitimize or end it.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Banning them to come is another overreaction and certainly is not helping for reducing the suicide numbers. Whats the corona risk difference between a person  in a marriage or in a longterm relationship?

Thai woman committing suicide because her farang friend Is unable to visit her?  Hehehe... 

15 minutes ago, Somtamnication said:

Good for them. It ain't gonna improve. Military government, xenophobia, etc etc etc.

What about all the other countries that have the same rules in place but are run by an elected, civilian government?

Honestly I have no sympathy for people who can't to see their "girlfriend" be it paid or a legitimate relationship, even less so for people who live a decade with the same partner but don't get married and most definitely not with all the old geezers who can't see their lady despite paying them a monthly allowance.

Contrary to that I'm extremely saddened for all those who couldn't see their children several months (and the children their parents). Thankfully - as far as I understand it - TH has now allowed for COE's as long as the parent can prove the relationship per birth certificate.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

Add to this the sexist rules wherin foreign wives get green cards along with Thai repatration requirements while foreign husbands do not.

This disparity was something I had expected to see being addressed when ASEAN came into being years ago!

4 minutes ago, barney42bb said:

There are 2 directions to which parted couples can be reunited.

You’ve over simplified that an failed to recognise that people in Thailand have ties to Thailand, jobs, homes, those with children in school etc etc...

Not every Thai Female can just leave on a whim to be with their significant other, and those who can just pick-up sticks and move so readily may not be able to get a visa so easily. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, rumak said:

i imagine someone else has already posted ............... if not,  that law was made obsolete a long time ago.

32 years ago my first land  wife and i bought had to be in someone elses name ( we used her parents)

No longer the case nowadays........ though land offices usually want farang to sign saying the money is hers.     But land easily goes in spouses name now.   So get married and stop living in sin   555 (joking, Yinn)

I was then wondering if somebody was going to tell  him at any point ????

Edited by Abs14

9 minutes ago, FlyingThai said:
3 hours ago, OnTheRun said:

All very well but in my case (and many others) who work outwith Thailand and travel back and fore it's not that easy. I left Thailand on 3rd June and obviously have not been able to return.

In that case one has to decide carefully if it's better to move the family / partner abroad (after getting married) to a country that allows partners to join, quit the job or leave and yes - be prepared not to be able to return.

Your decision to leave TH and go back to work was voluntary and made for economic reasons so it's not like you got caught up somehow. And I get it, who would give up a well paid job in this economy just for the sake of staying in Thailand, that wouldn't make much sense. But if a relationship is making this decision hard then I'd either legally legitimize or end it.

Ultimately, I may have to make a similar decision.

I currently had to enter Thailand with a CoE and stay in Quarantine for 2 weeks. 

I was caught outside of Thailand while away at work in Feb / March. 

Work has since stopped (due to Covid-19). But, if / when the work picks up again I’ll have to make the financial decision to continue working overseas. 

With the current station and restrictions on entry to Thailand a 28day / 28 day rotation is impossible - I’d have to look at moving back to the UK with my Wife and placing my Son in School there or simply face the fact that I move back to the UK alone until such a time the CoE and Quarantine restrictions are lifted. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

As long as they get their monthly sponsor money I think they'll be happy enough

Don't look only at your own experience or life ideology.

Many people are not in "money only relationship". But ok, you speak for yourself, we can understand and hope for you to find a better way of life.

chock dii

• Like 2