Sending a bottle of Thai whiskey to Europe - impossible?

Na Fan

On 9/12/2020 at 3:04 PM, Swiss1960 said:

Sending liquids through air is not possible, as it might be liquid explosives. That is the same all over. You probably could try shipping it ground transport. 

Really?

If I travel by air, I'm allowed to have only 100ml or so in hand luggage, but I can as much liquid as my weight allowance in checked luggage

9 hours ago, Susco said:

Really?

If I travel by air, I'm allowed to have only 100ml or so in hand luggage, but I can as much liquid as my weight allowance in checked luggage

That is correct, but OP is not talking about taking with him on the flight he also sits inside but about sending through post.

Airlines don't allow checked bags to be transported when the passenger doesn't board the plane for a reason...

2 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

That is correct, but OP is not talking about taking with him on the flight he also sits inside but about sending through post.

Airlines don't allow checked bags to be transported when the passenger doesn't board the plane for a reason...

I also don't think he will send the bottle by unaccompanied checked bag, but will send a parcel instead, which can have liquid.

https://www.easyship.com/blog/how-to-ship-liquids

As a general rule of thumb, non-flammable products are usually easy to ship and can be sent through regular air, ship or ground carrier services. Flammables are a little trickier to deal with, but if you have the proper packaging and paperwork, you should be able to ship these, too.

Edited by Susco
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Susco said:

I also don't think he will send the bottle by unaccompanied checked bag, but will send a parcel instead, which can have liquid.

https://www.easyship.com/blog/how-to-ship-liquids

As a general rule of thumb, non-flammable products are usually easy to ship and can be sent through regular air, ship or ground carrier services. Flammables are a little trickier to deal with, but if you have the proper packaging and paperwork, you should be able to ship these, too.

Thank you indeed for proving my point. Reading your link, there is a title "How to Ship Beer and Wine?" that reads:

"Shipping beer or wine - or indeed, any type of alcohol - can be a little difficult. If you’re in the business and need to make international commercial shipments of alcohol, you should be able to do so by carefully following your carrier’s regulations - and, you may also need import and export licences. However, if you’re just sending these as a gift, you’re better off using subscription or online retail services that have better access to the right type of mailing services."

I recall the Speyside Distillery had an exchange scheme going a while back where they would exchange bottles of 285 for their Macallan Lalique 62 year old Single Malt. They also took care of all the paperwork involved with the import /export side of it.

Unfortunately due to consuming too much of the former I’ve lost most of the details. Try giving them a Bell (s).

On 9/13/2020 at 3:57 PM, DJ54 said:

Shipping alcohol depends on country/cities legal requirements. A liquor license may be required. I’ve had wine shipped domestically in US California required someone 21 years or older to sign for shipment 

yes, sure, they will know what is in the parcel ! so funny...

On 9/13/2020 at 10:56 AM, teacherclaire said:

Isn't that the cheapest stuff what all the youngsters drink?

De gustibus non est dispundandum, there is no accounting for taste, and it is a noble gesture on the part of the OP to want to send his friend in Switzerland a bottle of his favourite libation.

There is no restriction for it in Switzerland and it is free of import duty up to one litre.

On 9/12/2020 at 7:35 AM, Na Fan said:

Everyone tells me "can not", "can not" - asked post office, UPS, etc...

Some or all courier services may not accept alcoholic beverages but I can find nothing about such restriction on the website of Thailand Post. Perhaps another post office might accept it or make a preliminary enquiry with this online contact form:

https://www.thailandpost.co.th/un/form/inquiry/?form_id=2

On 9/13/2020 at 1:33 PM, Lacessit said:

285 is like buying a Volkswagen for a Ferrari collector. Have some taste, send Sangsom or Hongthong.

yes, Hongthong. the Ferrari 250 GTO of all whiskys. ????

Edited by jastheace