SCB forecasts greater contraction of Thai economy in aftermath of Covid-19

snoop1130

SCB forecasts greater contraction of Thai economy in aftermath of Covid-19

By THE NATION

800_3ef1f3938a12267.jpg

Thailand’s gross domestic product (GDP) in 2020 is expected to contract 7.8 per cent from the previous forecast of -7.3 per cent due to increasing negative factors that stem from the impact of Covid-19, Siam Commercial Bank’s Economic Intelligence Center (EIC) said on Monday.

Two prominent negative factors cited by the EIC were the decrease in estimates of foreign tourists in 2020 to only 6.7 million people, as the government still employs strict lockdown measures against foreign tourists, and only Bt500 billion of the Bt1-trillion stimulus that the government had passed was expected to be injected into the economy within this year, lower than the Bt600 billion previously estimated.

Other factors are the scarring effects caused by businesses being shut down and people being laid off due to the outbreak, which could prolong the country’s economic recession until the year-end or next year.

“In the first two quarters of 2020, the unemployment rate increased by 1.95 per cent, which is the highest in 11 years,” said the centre. “Meanwhile, those who still have jobs tend to suffer from decreased working hours, which are currently down by 11.5 per cent year on year, while some have to be underemployed in order to keep working.

“The number of furloughed workers could rise to 2.5 million people, reflecting the weak status of the labour market,” it added.

The EIC said that the scarring will take time to heal, and therefore the Bank of Thailand should continue to employ relaxed financial policies, such as keeping the policy rate at 0.5 per cent, promote debt restructuring measures and provide soft loans and credit guarantee tools to ensure that affected businesses could access funds and gradually get back on their feet.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30394513

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-14

13 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

I just hope that the Thai bht gets back to where it should be. Hard for me to feel pity for anyone or any business when I have lost nearly 500k because of the currency exchange.

You probably mean, your currency get back to where it was before, but if it is the British pound, I'm afraid that will be a long wait.

Not sure how you can lose 500K because of currency exchange either, because once exchanged it doesn't change any more, unless you of course waited until your foreign currency went down the drain before you did the exchange.

But you know who to blame for that, don't you?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

36 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

I just hope that the Thai bht gets back to where it should be. Hard for me to feel pity for anyone or any business when I have lost nearly 500k because of the currency exchange.

No it won't However bad the position is in Thailand in the West it is much, much worse.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

No, I don't.

I had figured that already from your previous post.

As per the signature from a mod on this forum. I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

In fact, the answer was already clearly written in my first reply, so I think I'm not gonna bother to explain it any further.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

46 minutes ago, Susco said:

I had figured that already from your previous post.

As per the signature from a mod on this forum. I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

In fact, the answer was already clearly written in my first reply, so I think I'm not gonna bother to explain it any further.

Smart Alec and purveyor of trivia... have at it... yawning...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1