Coronavirus: Thailand added to England's 'quarantine-free' list

webfact

8 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

Crazy because common sense would (should) dictate that a person going home is likely gonna be around family, and should self isolate after high risk exposure regardless of whether or not the law mandates it. 

travelers lack of 'common sense' is what totally exasperated this problem in the first place.. 

10 hours ago, polpott said:

How would immigration in the UK know that I'd been to Dubai? On arrival I present my passport to a reader and walk through the gate. No questions asked and my passport doesn't show my entry into Dubai. Technically, transfer passengers don't enter the country.

I understand that some countries have “transit stops” that are 2 or 3 days, which would certainly show when your passport is scanned. But absolutely, if you don’t leave the airport, in and out same day, then you are not technically there. 555

11 hours ago, brommers said:

Oh gosh, how wonderful!

No, wait. Does England not have over 3000 new infections per day, does England not have a testing system that is about to collapse, does England not have resurgent city by city lockdowns, does England not have the threat of curfews being imposed???

Why would anyone in their right mind want to go to this shambolic mess of a country!

Leaving aside the hyperbole , the point is that the UK is open for business , nobody is forcing you to go there !

3 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

I don't see the relevance of your story. Were you born carrying your passport?

The relevance is that any use of a passport involving between countries is red flagged on a passenger manifest whether there is any reason to subsequently follow it up or not.

The original poster was clueless and because he didnt have reason to flash his passport in Dubai (he of course did on final gate linked to boarding card) than he assumed immigration knew nothing of his transit

They of course DID should for any reason it need following up....Covid certainly would be a reason of course

I could add an intriguing story of the extent what our border immigration knows about us which I found to my cost and it makes my original point seem trivial to know lol

6 hours ago, NoComment said:

Thailand is Covid free.

England has 3000+ cases a day

There must be a massive rush of idiots wishing to leave the safety of The Kingdom to play Russian roulette in the U.K *me thinks not*

At a rough guess I would say in the near future there will be several million unemployed Thais that would love to be able to come to work in the UK.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cal Shields said:

Who in their own mind (hope sanity still prevails) would want to go to the Uk? No quarantine so yiipppeee then you’re problems start, hope people have been following the headless chicken government and decide Thailand is a safer and more sane country (it’s better here than Uk anytime), why do you think I came to settle in Thailand. 

I would suspect it depend on ones risk appetite - Even if you do get C19 - what the chances of dying or just having flu like symptoms - I guess if folk are easily panicked, then stay indoors, cut your life down to no more than an existence, their choice - So what's the death rate percentage? Its suggested the likely risk of dying is 0.5% - 1%(?)  (News article here), is this really a risky outlook, Most of these death are due folk with life threatening issues, or mis-reporting. If I said I would give £1,000,000 for crossing a busy road where the chance of being hit by a car was 0.5-1% would you suck on your teeth, scratch your head, and say, "wow that's way to risky for me, no thanks"? How would you react to the risk? As is the case with C19 catching it (being hit by a car) does not automatically mean long lasing health effects or death.

As I've said before - I live in the UK - I don't know anyone who has been diagnosed with C19, let a long hospitalised or died from C19 - I work for an organisation with offices in over 40 countries, including South America, India, Pakistan etc. I've heard nothing about colleagues dying, believe me if one had, then it would be splashed all over our intranet.

On a wider note (Not related to the above post) The UK is playing to the rules and reporting numbers, not made up ones, they are doing testing, (before the bottleneck in labs). I also think if I ever did catch C19 (if I have not already) then I couldn't think of a better place to receive medical care.

I think if folk are going to compare countries or indeed anything - then compare like with like otherwise any commentary is limited.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NoComment said:

Thailand is Covid free.

England has 3000+ cases a day

There must be a massive rush of idiots wishing to leave the safety of The Kingdom to play Russian roulette in the U.K *me thinks not*

History has shown what happens to a population when a SERIOUS disease actually hits, compare this to C19 (in fact, can you compare?) It appear closer akin to the flu, 99% of time you will recover, if you have underlying conditions then it may be serious (again just like the flu)

"leave the safety of The Kingdom" - You will have a higher risk of dying on a Thai road, than I will of dying from C19 - ????

13 hours ago, polpott said:

How would immigration in the UK know that I'd been to Dubai? On arrival I present my passport to a reader and walk through the gate. No questions asked and my passport doesn't show my entry into Dubai. Technically, transfer passengers don't enter the country.

It’s because of inconsiderate self absorbed people like you that the UK and other countries cannot get their infection numbers down. If you make a false declaration on your entry and get caught I hope to hell they through the book at you and fine you heavily. 

12 hours ago, Matzzon said:

One thing I wonder about after reading this news, is how all the non believers is going spin it this time? A while ago it was the other way around, and Thailand was put on the list of countries in UK that needed to go in to quarantine. Then all the brits here posted that was because Thailand have lied and manipulated that Covid-19 results. How is it now??? Was UK wrong? Now Thailand is on the safe list. How come? 

I think it is because the UK were so depressed of it´s own poor results, so they just needed to punish the rest of the world. However, it´s now nice to read that they got a little bit back of common sense in their decisions. 

@Matzzon  all it proves is thailand have got their numbers down but they obviously were lying before otherwise why would the uk have em on the list?

14 hours ago, anemone said:

I wish they d copy this system for Thailand, makes more sense than quarantine for everyone...

Agree , makes more sense .

However that said , Nice little earner, for Thai approved Hotels in the kingdom ..

When foreigner , visits the Kingdom .

9 hours ago, Forza2002 said:

Will the Thai domestic tourism will take a hit now? The monied 1% HiSo brigade will he heading to the UK now with all their ill gotten booty, buying property, LV hand bags, rolex's etc.. 

for many years you can’t buy property in the U.K. without detailed forensics ad to where the money came from 

22 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

Chart showing that more and more of Spain’s tests are coming back positive

IMO ,   the full effects of Covid-19 has only just begun . 

Damp and cold , winters in the EU , USA ,  are ideal for the Covid-19 , mutations ..

Edited by elliss

7 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

This same nonsense is posted over and over again by people who have absolutely no ability to assess risk. You are more likely to die in a traffic accident in Thailand than to die of Covid-19 in the UK.

According to the stats I'm seeing, the per capita risk of dying of CV in the UK is almost double the capita risk of a road fatality in Thailand.

UK -- nearly 63 CV deaths per 100,000 population thus far this year (which is one of the top 10 CV death rates among world countries).

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

Thailand -- nearly 33 road fatality deaths per 100,000 population per year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_traffic-related_death_rate

The UK has had almost 42,000 CV deaths thus far in total this year. Thailand's official road fatality tally per year is considerably less than that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

According to the stats I'm seeing, the per capita risk of dying of CV in the UK is almost double the capita risk of a road fatality in Thailand.

UK -- nearly 63 CV deaths per 100,000 population thus far this year (which is one of the top 10 CV death rates among world countries).

The UK has had almost 42,000 CV deaths thus far in total this year. Thailand's official road fatality tally per year is considerably less than that.

The Covid crises has been a very dynamic process. In the beginning, almost nothing was known about the virus and how to treat patients best, and some politicians like Trump, Bolsonaro and BoJo the clown made stupid things.

However, the situation has changed a lot in the last 6 months. Therefore, it is not only not useful to use old numbers again and again to discuss about the situation today, it is simply wrong, misguiding and manipulating.

To be correct and not misguiding, you better should compare the daily number of people dying from/with Corona in the UK TODAY, which in average are way less than 10, with the daily fatalities on Thai roads, on the roads and later in hospital, which are around 70. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think you find that those number demonstrate died with, not necessarily from C19: there is a big difference!

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Flying Saucage said:

However, the situation has changed a lot in the last 6 months. Therefore, it is not only not useful to use old numbers again and again to discuss about the situation today, it is simply wrong, misguiding and manipulating.

They're not OLD numbers...

They're cumulative death numbers since the start of the pandemic for the UK (which is less than a full year thus far) as compared with annual road death per capita tallies for Thailand.

If you wanna start picking individual days or months for comparison, like looking at today but ignoring several months ago, that's a different discussion and comparison.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

They're not OLD numbers...

They're cumulative death numbers since the start of the pandemic for the UK (which is less than a full year thus far) as compared with annual road death per capita tallies for Thailand.

Cumulative means including old daily numbers. Is that so difficult to understand? Or do you willfully like to manipulate?

Did you not recognize yet the huge progress in treatment of patients during the recent 6 months, and how R0 went down from formerly around 4 to around 1 only? And that a big part of the people in most countries follow usefull rules to reduce the risk, also in the UK? 

• Like 1