Avocado Alert!

Jingthing

As of yesterday, nice looking, good size, near ripe but not soft Australian cados for 40 baht each. This is a great price for Thailand. Why not go over there and clear out their stock? Maybe they will get the message that if the cados are priced well they will sell alot more and keep the price down? More volume, lower price, more profit.

Signed,

Thailand Guacamole Promotion Society

Edited by Jingthing

As of yesterday, nice looking, good size, near ripe but not soft Australian cados for 40 baht each. This is a great price for Thailand. Why not go over there and clear out their stock? Maybe they will get the message that if the cados are priced well they will sell alot more and keep the price down? More volume, lower price, more profit.

Signed,

Thailand Guacamole Promotion Society

The Aussie Hass Avocados normally sell for 49 baht. Dropping 9 baht (18% mark down) would not send me rushing over to Foodland to buy them. I noticed them in Tops Supermarket in Tukcom for 40 ea today.

Foodland patpong , Bangkok use to have large avocadoes (smooth green skin ) from Chiangmai at 80 baht a kilo

There the dark skin ( rugged brown ) smaller one was about the same price for one ( australia ) !

the last few months did not see any Chiangmai avocadoes in stock anywhere !

Any good info for mature goat cheeses anyone ?

Foodland patpong , Bangkok use to have large avocadoes (smooth green skin ) from Chiangmai at 80 baht a kilo

There the dark skin ( rugged brown ) smaller one was about the same price for one ( australia ) !

the last few months did not see any Chiangmai avocadoes in stock anywhere !

Any good info for mature goat cheeses anyone ?

There is a huge difference between Australian avocados and locally (Thailand) grown ones. The water content of the ones grown here is extremely high with a totally different flavour.

I love avocados in Australia, but they don't usually taste that good after being shipped over here - local ones usually taste better - but I'm not sure why? :o

I've bought quite a few of the Australian "Hass" avocados available at Foodland. I find the taste exactly the same. You need to buy the ones as hard as stone and give them 3 or 4 days to ripen. Don't ever buy one that is soft, or near soft. The trouble is that "Hass" avocados have a certain taste that not all avocado lovers like. Personally they are on the bottom of my list for Australian avocados...but it's all we've got here in Pattaya.

Its OK to buy a soft one (not too soft) if you are going to eat the same day. I agree its better to buy them still hard and ripen at home. I have never had a Thai cado that wasn't rotten. Maybe bad luck. Cheaper, yes. The very best thing to eat with avocados is fish and chips, with a free beer, just a thought.

Edited by Jingthing

I bought those Avocados for a while already, they come and go. Go down well with the sour cream in the white screw-top box at the opposite side of the shop and lumpfish caviar.

.....ok....real caviar would be correct, but let's keep things in proportion.... :o

Also worth noting are the tomatoes they sell from time to time at foodland just next to the Avocados. The best I ever had in Thailand!

OK, you guys made me hungry. I'll have to go find some Mexican food. As a side note, I used to live in San Diego. They grow a lot of avacados around there. I remember someone selling them at the side of the road in 1977 - 20 for a dollar.

J

I do tend to pick the soft ones, so that may be the problem.

I've always thought that Hass avocados in California were quite good. What type should I be looking for?

It's not that a soft avocado is no good, but if they are soft in the shop they've usually been bruised from people handling them, and when bruised they go brown and have a bad taste. If you buy a hard one, you'll get it home without damage and when it's soft enough to eat it will still be in prime condition. Sometimes you just get bad ones...it just can't be avoided.