Thai Driving Licenses expiry

NOPOMPAM

Greetings.  My initial two year motorbike and Car driving licenses are due to expire and must be renewed in January 2021.  Due to Travel restrictions, my being in Melbourne and very little likelihood of our Government allowing travel back to Thailand before then can anyone tell me if there will be some extensions given for expired licenses?  Is anyone in a similar position to me.  Note I do have a pink ID card and yellow house book as well.  Not sure if this helps or not.  Thanks in advance.

20 minutes ago, sanmyintmaung said:

You can renew your Thai driving license up to 1 year after the expiration date with no penalty.

Yes, I had same issue once as was out of country and renewed on return 9 months after expiry. Had (with others) to sit an endure a lecture from the DLT boss about renewing ontime and watch a lengthy road safety film (English subtitles). Other than taking a bit longer no extra cost above normal renewal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You’ll either be permitted to renew for 5 years, or simply apply for another 2 year temp licence. 

Different DLT’s handle the regulations slightly different, some people have been permitted to renew to a 5 years after expiry of their 2 year licence, others have not. 

For a renewal to 5 years you will also need to have entered Thailand on a Non-Immigrant Visa. 

Its not really an issue either way and will only impact you in 2 years time instead of another 5. 

• Like 1