Rugby World Cup 2007

All Black News- not to good Im afraid,hope he recovers in time for the quarters.

More injury woes as Jack goes down

7:28AM Tuesday September 11, 2007

Another lock has thrown a slight injury scare into the All Blacks camp at the Rugby World Cup in France.

Chris Jack came off worst in a collision with Sitiveni Sivivatu during a training run in Marseille this morning and left the field with ice on his shoulder.

With Keith Robinson and Reuben Thorne still sidelined and unable to train with the team, the All Blacks can ill afford to lose another second rower. Robinson still looked ginger on his injured calf while Thorne did little more than a gentle push on a scrum machine.

The team to play Portugal will be named late tonight with some intriguing selections in store for the second row.

There are expected to be wholesale changes to the starting 15, but the likes of Ali Williams and Jack if he is fit, will be asked to back up.

One of those likely to get a start is prop Greg Somerville, who will play his first test in a year after rupturing his Achilles tendon during the 2006 Tri Nations.

Somerville said it was a relief just to make it to France but now he is itching to get on the field.

- NEWSTALK ZB

post-15912-1189484879_thumb.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe says it like it is :o

MB, is England ready for some cage fighting?? :D

Rokocoko swipes at Europe's top teams

5:00AM Tuesday September 11, 2007

By David Leggat and Dylan Cleaver

Straying from the usual All Black course of diplomacy, winger Joe Rokocoko has served up a verbal high shot to the European opposition.

Rokocoko, who did not play against Italy but will almost certainly be named late tonight to start against Portugal, admitted he had been surprised by the sloppy start to the tournament by the big European teams.

Scotland and Wales struggled for long periods against Portugal and Canada respectively, England laboured against the US and, in the biggest shock of all, France were beaten in the opener by Argentina.

"I was quite surprised. I'm not sure what it is. Have they had too much rugby? I don't know. There's a lot of pressure on them."

Rokocoko was careful to point out that the Crusaders had often looked sluggish at the start of the Super 14 before clicking into gear later in the tournament, but there was still no doubt in his mind which hemisphere was producing the goods so far.

"We're looking sharper at the moment," he said of the Tri-Nations teams.

The 45-test veteran said Scotland and Ireland looked "frightened", despite their modest opposition, but he saved his biggest hit for the French, just two days after All Black coach Graham Henry said he expected the home side would still play a major part in the tournament.

"They looked like they just didn't want to play," Rokocoko said. "They were kicking it too much, giving 50-50s. If Argentina had kept the ball in their hands a bit more they could have scored a few more tries.

"It was like the French ran into their cave and didn't know what to do. I didn't see much talking from their senior players."

Rokocoko also said the All Blacks were benefiting from spending the past three years working on combinations and Plan A, B and C.

Meanwhile, Samoa insist they remain firmly in the hunt for the World Cup quarter-finals despite copping a 50-point thumping from South Africa.

And strange as it might sound after being on the wrong end of a 59-7 scoreline, you can see their point.

They'll watch the Springboks take on England in Paris on Saturday before tackling Tonga in Montpellier on Monday.

Then they have six days off before playing England in Nantes on September 23.

The Samoans' rugged approach would rattle lesser teams but not the South Africans, whose pack is loaded with big, hard men not averse to bending the rules at close quarters.

Indeed, Springbok captain John Smit referred to the clashes over the ball at the breakdowns as "almost cage fighting", and he left the impression he didn't mean it in a negative sense.

Samoa were right in the contest against South Africa until early in the second half when their heads dropped after a try was disallowed which, with the conversion, would have had them seven points adrift.

Instead, South Africa put their foot down, created space, took their chances and presented their title credentials emphatically.

Samoa's coach, All Black legend Michael Jones, is right to be bullish about his team's prospects.

"We've got time to work on things and we'll pay whatever price it takes. I truly believe in our potential.

"There's no reason why we can't qualify, but we're not thinking about England.

"We have to get past our Polynesian brothers first."

NZ Herald

Just need the Auzzie team to go down with food poisoning or something before Saturday, then i will be happy

that may still not stop them Wolfie. Hopefully, the Welsh can get more passionate, which they should in Cardiff and keep kicking the ball into the corners of the Oz line, and pressure them to turnover. The Wallabies are good in the rucks & mauls,lineouts, and have some line breakers that can slice thru virtually any defence. May pay to keep roof open (if it rains)to slow the tempo of the game down as I think the Wallabies play better on a hard track like home.

Early Speculation

Ok I know it's early days but after the first round of games I have extrapolated this scenario.

Quarter Finals

Australia v England/Samoa

New Zealand v France

South Africa v Wales

Scotland v Argentina

Semi Finals

New Zealand v Oz

South Africa v Argentina

Final

New Zealand V Argentina

Champions

?

Tough old route for the AB's Donny especially since you are in such a pissy group and may not be up to such racing speed. There are many opportunities to choke along the way. On the other hand if Argentina can win their group a nice ride to the semi. Can they win it? After an unlikely England retain the cup miracle certainly the most desirable outcome for me.

Early Speculation

Ok I know it's early days but after the first round of games I have extrapolated this scenario.

Quarter Finals

Australia v England/Samoa

New Zealand v France

South Africa v Wales

Scotland v Argentina

Semi Finals

New Zealand v Oz

South Africa v Argentina

Final

New Zealand V Argentina

Champions

?

Tough old route for the AB's Donny especially since you are in such a pissy group and may not be up to such racing speed. There are many opportunities to choke along the way. On the other hand if Argentina can win their group a nice ride to the semi. Can they win it? After an unlikely England retain the cup miracle certainly the most desirable outcome for me.

Credible scenarios apart from Argentina beating the Saffers in SF2. Just can't see that happening at that stage in the tournament, whereas the Argies always looked like a potential banana skin first up for France.

NZ vs SA in the final - too close to call ... SA seems to have stepped up a gear recently but NZ have such great strength in depth ...

... Of course, the Wobblies could just throw a spanner in the works in SF1 :o

Edited by Captain Chaos

Credible scenarios apart from Argentina beating the Saffers in SF2. Just can't see that happening at that stage in the tournament, whereas the Argies always looked like a potential banana skin first up for France.

NZ vs SA in the final - too close to call ... SA seems to have stepped up a gear recently but NZ have such great strength in depth ...

... Of course, the Wobblies could just throw a spanner in the works in SF1 tongue.gif

Can't argue with that.

... Of course, the Wobblies could just throw a spanner in the works in SF1 tongue.gif

Can't argue with that.

Captain Chaos is just about bang on. Im tending to lean towards a NZ vs SA final now based on the games Ive seen so far. As MB has mentioned, early speculation. As stated before, as the tourney carries on, there will be more injuries, and 1st choice players, and perhaps in key positions may be the teams undoing. (NZ locks at the moment.)

Who knows what will happen.

Argentina will have to lift 2 gears to beat SA imo, esp the pace at which the trinations teams play at. I think the standard of fitness and skill level of the Trinations teams compared to the 6 Nations & the rest of the world is quite apparent.

Perhaps since the introduction of super 12/14 has raised the standard. If you look at the SA team, they have come a long way from 1-2 years ago. This year, 2 of the SA teams made the Super 14 final (Bulls/Sharks), and the flow on effect that has had on the Boks.

In previous years, it has been the Crusaders which were so dominant and as a result, the All Blacks were virtually unbeatable during the last 5 years. (lost about 7 games in 5 years)

Im tending to disagree about the ABs not up to racing speed. :o

More like momentum building. Italy was a "blow out of the cobwebs" to get rid of rustyness,wasnt much there by the look of things :D

Portugal will be more of the same for the rest of the squad that didnt get a run against Italy,

Scotland will be the ''dress rehersal" for the quarters

Romania will be about getting combinations working and set

By quarter and semis, they will be comng on strong :D

By quarter and semis, they will be comng on strong wink.gif

And running into a French team still stinging from he humiliation of the Argentina defeat. That will be a game to savour.

thats if they get past Ireland :D

Im sure the Irish boys in Tuskers think its not a forgone conclusion :o

France vs Ireland will be the decider who gets that 2nd spot in the quarters

Hope so. With De Villiers out as well makes England's task just a little less indimidating.

Vickery's citing hearing is later today although I think he will get a ban. Rightfully so tripping has no place.

Chris Jack came off worst in a collision with Sitiveni Sivivatu

If I were you I'd be a bit concerned by this Donny. A big hulking brute like Jack damaged by a Will'O the Wisp like Sivivatu. Question must be asked about AB durability :o

I am. The possibilities of the smaller pack of Portugal steamrolling the likes of Collins, McCaw and co makes me nervous :D

Hope so. With De Villiers out as well makes England's task just a little less indimidating.

Vickery's citing hearing is later today although I think he will get a ban. Rightfully so tripping has no place.

anyone not following rugby would think that McDonalds was outlawed in England :o

well well well, could this be enough for England to gain parity in the breakdown. Burger is brilliant at winning balls and is usually everywhere around the park. Will be missed.

Perhaps since the introduction of super 12/14 has raised the standard. If you look at the SA team, they have come a long way from 1-2 years ago. This year, 2 of the SA teams made the Super 14 final (Bulls/Sharks), and the flow on effect that has had on the Boks.

In previous years, it has been the Crusaders which were so dominant and as a result, the All Blacks were virtually unbeatable during the last 5 years. (lost about 7 games in 5 years)

The SA provinces reached the final (hel_l, one of them even won it :o ) - but what was the effect of the NZ players being rested for 'conditioning'? The Aussie provinces weren't at the races as a rule, but you'd be daft to write the Wobblies off right now. Does provincial form equate to international form?

Wasps won the European Cup and provide ~1/2 of the England team don't they?

well well well, could this be enough for England to gain parity in the breakdown. Burger is brilliant at winning balls and is usually everywhere around the park. Will be missed.

He's not out yet Donny but here's hoping

I am. The possibilities of the smaller pack of Portugal steamrolling the likes of Collins, McCaw and co makes me nervous biggrin.gif

Kiwi Pansys. Incidentally while on the subject have you seen this kind of thing that they are giving out in Shell stations in NZ

72009244be3.jpg

81482363fc2.jpg

The mind boggles as to which marketing genius thought up that tat.

More England woe :o

England face crisis at fly-half

England could start the crunch World Cup match against South Africa on Friday without a regular fly-half after Olly Barkley was injured in training.

Barkley has been named in England's XV but faces a scan on a hip injury, while Jonny Wilkinson is not in the 22.

BBC

More England woe :D

England face crisis at fly-half

England could start the crunch World Cup match against South Africa on Friday without a regular fly-half after Olly Barkley was injured in training.

Barkley has been named in England's XV but faces a scan on a hip injury, while Jonny Wilkinson is not in the 22.

BBC

something I dug up just for you MB :o

post-15912-1189515846_thumb.jpg

Vickery suspended for two matches

England captain Phil Vickery will miss the World Cup games against South Africa and Samoa after a two-game ban for tripping USA centre Paul Emerick.

The 31-year-old Vickery has 48 hours to appeal against the ban and the England camp are considering their position.

South Africa-born Matt Stevens will replace Vickery in the team to face the Springboks on Friday, with Perry Freshwater coming on to the bench.

BBC

More England misery!

Argentina need to be cool and win the game with a maximum of professionalism and a minimum of fuss. They need the four tries for the bonus point but there is no need to grind Georgia in the dust. There are much bigger fish for the Argentina to fry later in the tournament

Argentina 33 Georgia 3

Job done. Great defence from the Georgians. They held them at bay for the first half restricting the Pumas to just a couple of penalties. They look to have improved since the last World Cup. Second half Argentina got the tries they needed for the bonus point with seconds to spare. Good professional job.

Roll on Pumas

Vickery suspended for two matches

England captain Phil Vickery will miss the World Cup games against South Africa and Samoa after a two-game ban for tripping USA centre Paul Emerick.

The 31-year-old Vickery has 48 hours to appeal against the ban and the England camp are considering their position.

South Africa-born Matt Stevens will replace Vickery in the team to face the Springboks on Friday, with New Zealander Perry Freshwater coming on to the bench.

BBC

More England misery!

Thought I would just fix it up for a little Milt. :o

Hey Chewie how are things in NZ?

I would have thought the AB's would be the last country to talk about foreign players given your traditional pillage of the best talent in the Pacific Islands :o

Can you pick me up one of these for the bar. I'd like the 'Daniel Carter is a ballerina' figurine. Would be inspiring for all my Kiwi punters, Donny could give it a Wai when he comes in. :D

72009244be3.jpg

Hey Chewie how are things in NZ?

I would have thought the AB's would be the last country to talk about foreign players given your traditional pillage of the best talent in the Pacific Islands :o

Can you pick me up one of these for the bar. I'd like the 'Daniel Carter is a ballerina' figurine. Would be inspiring for all my Kiwi punters, Donny could give it a Wai when he comes in. :D

no need MB, Ill be back in November, when I can pick up the new one- McCaw holding the Cup! :D