Rugby World Cup 2007

Good Result for all Tri-nation Teams June 9th 2007

All Blacks 61 vs France 10

Australia 49 vs Fiji 0

South Africa 35 vs Samoa 8

Looks like a good tri-nations series coming up.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ozzie 49 zip against fiji, :o awsome

the acid test for the Wallabies is this weekend, the most interesting aspect for me will be during the scrums; have the Wallabies improved?.Also set piece plays from the scrum base and from line outs. Gregan and Larkhams' role will be crutial against a very good Boks team, Giteau and Morts will have to play out of their skins. The Boks are just about unbeatable at home these days and they are brimming with confidence after despatching England (A) with ease and also 2 teams in the final in the super 14. Australia hasnt beaten the Boks in SA in 7 years!

Expect nothing short of a bruising encounter with big tackles from both sides, but the Boks have the edge in the breakdowns with their loosies, Burger and co are the best in the business, with some speed to burn on the wings.

sorry Bronco, but I see win to the Boks by 20 points this weekend.

Ozzie 49 zip against fiji, :o awsome

the acid test for the Wallabies is this weekend, the most interesting aspect for me will be during the scrums; have the Wallabies improved?.

Aussie front row has a heart the size of a pea.No change here...please move on. :D

Ozzie 49 zip against fiji, :D awsome

the acid test for the Wallabies is this weekend, the most interesting aspect for me will be during the scrums; have the Wallabies improved?.

Aussie front row has a heart the size of a pea.No change here...please move on. :D

one way traffic expected this weekend against the Canadians. Will the ABs hit 100? :o

Rugby: Thorne to captain ABs against Canada

1:17PM Wednesday June 13, 2007

Lock Ross Filipo and prop John Schwalger will make their All Blacks debuts against Canada in Hamilton on Saturday.

Filipo and Greg Rawlinson were called into the squad last Sunday following injuries to Keith Robinson (calf) and Ali Williams (broken jaw).

Hurricanes prop Schwalger will also make his test debut on the weekend.

In the absence of Richie McCaw, Reuben Thorne will captain the side.

Meanwhile, wing Rico Gear has joined the All Blacks and midfield replacement Ma'a Nonu has been released to join the Junior All Blacks, who play Australia A in Dunedin, also on Saturday.

The return of Gear, who has played in 17 tests, is prompted by the impending paternity leave for Doug Howlett, who will not travel to South Africa on Sunday for the following weekend's Tri-Nations match against South Africa in Durban.

Lock Chris Jack is also not available for Saturday's test or the following week's match in Durban as he too will be on paternity leave.

"The guys need to put their families first," All Blacks coach Graham Henry said.

"We support their decision to be with their partners. Ross will start this weekend's test and Rico has plenty of experience in our environment. So they will be up to speed before we start the Philips Tri Nations."

"We've got some new combinations for the test in Hamilton which is a chance to further our depth and options, and gives us something of a fresh challenge."

Mils Muliaina returns from injury to play at fullback, with Howlett and Sitiveni Sivivatu the wingers.

Conrad Smith, also ruled out with a hamstring injury against France, has been bracketed at centre with Luke McAlister.

First five-eighth Daniel Carter is also back from injury.

All Blacks:

Mils Muliaina, Doug Howlett, Conrad Smith/Luke McAlister, Aaron Mauger, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Daniel Carter, Byron Kelleher, Jerry Collins, Chris Masoe, Reuben Thorne (captain), Ross Filipo, Troy Flavell, Neemia Tialata, Andrew Hore, John Schwalger.

Reserves:

Keven Mealamu, Carl Hayman, Rodney So'oialo, Richie McCaw, Piri Weepu, McAlister/Rico Gear, Leon MacDonald

- NZHERALD STAFF

Rugby: Canada pick best available side to face All Blacks

1:57PM Wednesday June 13, 2007

Canadian rugby coach Ric Suggitt has predictably named his strongest available side to face the All Blacks in their one-off rugby test at Hamilton's Waikato Stadium on Saturday.

Only France-based locks Mike James and Jamie Cudmore -- late defections from the touring party after last weekend's domestic championship final in Paris -- are missing from the optimum line-up.

The match will have special significance for Auckland-raised centre Craig Culpan, who has overcome an ankle injury to earn just his second full cap.

The run-on side features four squad members involved in Canada's last meeting with the All Blacks -- a 68-6 loss in World Cup pool play at Melbourne in 2003.

Morgan Williams, a non-playing reserve that day, captains the side from halfback.

Prop Kevin Tkachuk, pivot Ryan Smith and flanker Colin Yukes all saw game time against the All Blacks at the Telstra Dome.

Suggitt has unusually opted to name five forwards on the bench, leaving utilities Dean Van Camp and Ed Fairhurst to cover the backline.

Among the forward reserves are identical twin props Dan and Mike Pletch.

The starting line-up features just four members who turn out for Canadian teams -- the remainder are contracted to British, French or Italian clubs.

Canada also play a match against the New Zealand under-21 side in Rotorua next Friday before returning home.

Canada:

Mike Pyke, Justin Mensah-Coker, Craig Culpan, David Spicer, James Pritchard, Ryan Smith, Morgan Williams (captain), Sean-Michael Stephen, Stan McKeen, Colin Yukes, Mike Burak, Luke Tait, Scott Franklin, Pat Riordan, Kevin Tkachuk.

Reserves:

Aaron Carpenter, Dan Pletch, Mike Pletch, Josh Jackson, Adam Kleeberger, Dean Van Camp, Ed Fairhurst.

- NZPA

could this be the distraction that the Boks could well ill-afford this world cup year?

Possibly not but shouldnt S.A. pick their team based on talent and form and not on colour?

If the changes ring thru after this RWC, this could mean disaster for S.A. rugby.

Any Saffers out there that would like to comment?

Springboks 'quota row' escalates

South Africa's rugby union bosses have come under pressure from the country's government to select more black players at Super 14 and international level.

The government's sports committee met with rugby officials on Tuesday to voice its displeasure at the number of black players playing at the top level.

"Sport can't escape the broad picture," said chairman Butana Komphela.

Quotas have been a thorny issue in South African sport since the end of apartheid in 1994.

The South Africa Rugby Union (SARU) does not operate a formal quota system with regard to the national team, although there is an unwritten rule that the Springboks will not field an all-white team.

South Africa coach Jake White included several black players for the recent 2-0 series win over England, including Bryan Habana, Ricky Januarie, Gurthro Steenkamp and Ashwin Willemse.

Rugby bosses defended their commitment to change, insisting the problem was partly a consequence of the addition of a fifth South African team in Super 14, spreading the number of black players even thinner.

Komphela added: "Sport cannot be excluded from imperatives of empowerment and transformation."

ANC MP Tsietsi Louw said that black players were being held back from reaching their true potential.

"There is a deliberate political agenda to keep these black players where they are," he said.

"Only three or four will (succeed)."

SARU president Oregan Hoskins agreed there were problems with the current system.

"I am not happy with the pace of transformation," he said.

"We will endeavour to do the best we can in what are sometimes difficult and trying circumstances."

But the committee complained that SARU had been saying similar things for many years.

The issue developed a bizarre twist last week, with Hoskins intervening to ensure the selection of white player Luke Watson in the team to face Samoa.

The Stormers flanker is the son of famous anti-apartheid activist Cheeky Watson, a white rugby player who refused to play for the Springboks during the apartheid years.

White has insisted that Luke Watson is too small for international rugby, but politicians have said that he should be considered a black player and given selection preference.

Recent reports in South Africa have suggested a radical change after the World Cup, with speculation that a team consisting of at least 10 black players will be named under a new coach.

White, it is reported, will also be replaced by Peter de Villiers, who would become the Springboks' first black coach with the side captained by Luke Watson.

Story from BBC SPORT:

yeah right :o

Wallaby legend sees hope for Cup

5:00AM Thursday June 21, 2007

Nick Farr-Jones

SYDNEY - There is a speck of light at the end of the Rugby World Cup tunnel, according to Wallabies legend Nick Farr-Jones, but it could be snuffed out if Australia cannot take a psychological edge over the All Blacks out of the Tri-Nations series.

The Wallabies' vastly improved performance against South Africa on Sunday has convinced Farr-Jones the Australians' belief that anyone can win on a World Cup day might be more than just wishful thinking.

"When they get in that mindset they're a very hard nut to crack," said the 1991 World Cup-winning captain.

"That's something that can give you confidence that the [upset] semifinal [win] against New Zealand in 2003 potentially wasn't just a one-off.

"We had a saying a long time ago when I played, 'Whatever it takes', and sometimes you get in that sort of mindset that it is whatever it takes - whatever it takes they're not coming through, and whatever it takes we're going to minimise our errors, play a superb game.

"I think that it was one of those mindset days, they have to try and become more consistent at it but the guys were very, very focused."

As well as their mental steel, Farr-Jones believes Australia's improvement was the result of the Wallabies - most notably Matt Giteau reinstated to second five-eighths - feeling comfortable in their positions and fringe players lifting to try to secure their tickets to France.

But he warned that Australia's chances of claiming the William Webb Ellis trophy for an unprecedented third time hinged on what they took out of Saturday week's test against the All Blacks in Melbourne and the return fixture in Auckland on July 21.

"When we've won the two World Cups in 91 and 99 both Wallaby teams had very important victories over the All Blacks in the year leading into those World Cups - psychological ascendancy over the All Blacks is very important.

"If we can unsettle them in Melbourne it will be tough [for them] in Paris before a semifinal against the Wallabies, if we get that far.

"If we can just put doubt in the back of their minds, they won't sleep that well ... they carry the weight of their country's expectations."

Farr-Jones admitted he was surprised at the Wallabies' lift in South Africa, where they have not won a test since 2000.

"I thought we'd actually lose by 15-20, maybe more."

-AAP

am Im the only one looking forward to this game?

Pressure on Boks mounts - as do injuries

5:00AM Wednesday June 20, 2007

By Wynne Gray

While South African rugby is in boom mode, the Springboks are facing more pressure than the All Blacks this week to conjure up a Tri-Nations victory in Durban.

Expectations soared during the Super 14 series, before the Bulls eventually defeated the Sharks in the final, and have continued as the Boks beat England twice, Samoa and then the Wallabies, 22-19, in a pulsating start to their Tri-Nations campaign.

This was a ferocious match that was several notches up on what the All Blacks have had to produce in their three-test opening sequence this season against the inferior French and Canadian sides. But it came at a cost to the South Africans.

Three senior players went down with injury including their influential leader and hooker John Smit.

In a trend that has developed this year, the Springboks management have sidestepped any prognosis on the injured even though some believe that Smit will miss the Tri-Nations with his strained hamstring and that prop Gurthro Steenkamp and flanker Juan Smith face similar absences.

The Springbok team will be announced today and talk has been about how the side can maintain their winning momentum, who will be the replacement captain and what coach Jake White will do about his required quota players.

No matter the swelling levels of elation attached to the Springboks' success, there is also a feeling they have to win this Sunday to continue the notion that on any given day they can beat the All Blacks.

Yearly triumphs on home soil against Graham Henry's All Blacks have brought that comfort to Springboks supporters who are also prepared to concede that overseas the side do not carry the same venom. So most of the 54,000 crowd at Absa Stadium on Sunday will attend with convictions about a Springboks victory.

There has been some chat about former skipper and pin-up boy Bob Skinstad being reinstated to the side, and the captaincy. But observers feel that would be disastrous, a snub to the Bulls' loose forward contingent and a decision sure to provoke a player revolt.

White could argue that sort of crisis has been standard fare for him. It seems he will get a little more latitude with his quota requirements and will be able to replace the coloured Steenkamp with Os du Randt.

White has a theory that All Black tighthead Carl Hayman is less comfortable against du Randt and always planned to choose the vastly experienced prop in what will be his final test on South African soil.

White was also seen on video telling his team they showed the will to win the World Cup with their late rally to beat the Wallabies.

"It was unbelievable, but I never doubted you," said White. "You've got the All Blacks next week. Now it gets even harder but we get born to play rugby against New Zealand. That's why we get born in this country."

I haven't posted for ages due to circumstances beyond my control, but I couldn't pass up the opportunity of talking about rugby.

For my twopence-worth, the World Cup is only there for NZ to lose. They are so far ahead of the rest of the field in terms of depth/breadth of talent, quality management (Henry, Hansen and Smith are 3 of the 4 best coaches in the world, IMHO), commitment etc that only choking will prevent a steamrollering victory. Look at the other contenders: England - forget it. Out in the quarters (or semis if really, really lucky). Australia - forget it. The worst international pack around (the only ones, AFAIK, to have to go to uncontested scrums). Ireland - no. They have some world-class players and the 4th of the top 4 international coaches, but no depth. An injury to any one of 10 players will leave them with a gaping hole. France - who can tell which team will turn up, and Laporte, IMHO, is a very poor coach (although Joe Maso makes up for it a bit). South Africa - I just can't see it. They raise themselves for a big game, but for a tournament - no, I don't think it's there. Plus, they are hampered by internal politics.

Another factor is the common denominator of every world cup-winning team: a truly outstanding captain. David Kirk, Nick Farr-Jones, Francois Pienaar, John Eales, Martin Johnson. Who is there of that calibre in 2007? Only McCaw, Pelous and O'Driscoll, IMHO.

sadman,

your post basically reflects my thoughts as well, although I can see South Africa giving the ABs a fright. If the SAs get up into the ABs faces and kill the ball during ruck and maul, that will neutralise the ABs quick play. Hopefully Collins,McCaw, Sooialo and co will blow them off the rucks.

Tonight-everyones expecting the SAs to target Carter and contest the lineouts due to ABs injuries in the locks. Hopefully the ABs replacements will do themselves proud (Rawlinson and Favill).

Tonights game will be interesting to see if the reconditioning programme has really worked, as the ABs have now had 3 games under their belts although the opposition have been rather under par.

The scrum will be interesting. Mauger and Toeava will be instrumental to set up the back 3 speedsters.

should be good one, my pick is for The All Blacks by 12.

Well, what a fantastic game that was. I was absolutely riveted. SA played well, most particularly Schalk Berger (sp?), while James, Du Randt and Matfield had good games. I think they missed John Smith, though.

But NZ? With Carter on an off day, Rokocoko not at his best, the second row well below par (not the first choices anyway) - yet they still looked masterful. McCaw led from the front, So'iaolo (sp?) played well, particularly his late break to set up the try, Collins was awesome - the list goes on.

Great game, but I still don't see SA doing it for a whole tournament.

Well SA have basically sent a "B" team to Aussie and NZ.Game over.

In the RWC, I would not underestimate the Boks,the Frogs or Aussies to a lesser extent.Each one of thise teams have the ability to beat the AB's on their day.can they string two big games togeather...probably not,but we will soon see.

Probably a BOK v AB's final,if we can get past the Froggies at home.

Well SA have basically sent a "B" team to Aussie and NZ.Game over.

In the RWC, I would not underestimate the Boks,the Frogs or Aussies to a lesser extent.Each one of thise teams have the ability to beat the AB's on their day.can they string two big games togeather...probably not,but we will soon see.

Probably a BOK v AB's final,if we can get past the Froggies at home.

unfortunately thats the nature of the world cup formats and the one off games in the semis and final

any given team on there day could win, upsets can happen.

although consistency is good, I think having a team that can peak at the right time is better,

hopefully the ABs have yet to hit theirs, which in my opinion they havent esp when you look at the missing/injured players and also that were out for the s14 that still have yet to play more big games- this was their 1st real test. We will see better performances in NZ when they play the last games of the trinations.

wonder where they found their confidence, in a weetbix box? :o:D Tuquiri what a show pony!

there will be something seriously wrong if the Wallabies dont come close in beating the ABs in this game tomorrow, due to the extra week of rest and preparation, and long flight taking by the ABs earlier this week.

Lets see how the Wallabies stand up in the scrum, and how long the front row stays up under pressure.

Read this for more info

its going to be another great game!

New-found confidence has Wallabies thinking of upset

8:58AM Friday June 29, 2007

By Mark Geenty

MELBOURNE - The Wallabies' new-found confidence is mirrored by their star winger Lote Tuqiri, who says he's got over the anger of being 'rested' from test rugby this month.

Tuqiri spoke boldly of the Wallabies' renewed self-belief as they attempt to end a five-match losing streak against the All Blacks in the Tri-Nations/Bledisloe Cup test in Melbourne tomorrow.

"It's a big change and I've certainly noticed it, the confidence in the team's ability," Tuqiri said this week.

"That got enhanced against South Africa. That really gave us a mark that what we were doing is right. I certainly have the confidence in my teammates at the moment to play well, which I probably haven't had before."

The Wallabies might have lost 19-22 in Cape Town a fortnight ago but they outplayed the Springboks in several areas and only lost to two late dropped goals.

Depending on how they bounce back against the All Blacks at the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG), the Cape Town test may well be seen as a turning point in their World Cup preparations, which appeared shaky after unconvincing performances against Wales.

The forwards were leading the way, with the scrum taking huge leaps forward and locks Dan Vickerman and Nathan Sharpe both big presences around the field.

"We competed very well (in Cape Town) and we've got a few leaders in there now who have the conviction to say things on the field and put their balls on the line," Tuqiri said.

Rejuvenated prop Matt Dunning was also as confident as Tuqiri had seen, and his mental state was "really switched on".

It's three years since the Wallabies last tasted victory over the All Blacks, 23-18 in Sydney in 2004, while they also won the previous Bledisloe Cup test at the MCG, 24-16 in 1998.

The overall ledger from 126 trans-Tasman tests stands at All Blacks 84, Wallabies 37 and five draws.

Tuqiri's glowing assessment of his team might have been a touch different when coach John Connolly announced last month his star winger would sit out the two tests against Wales and instead work on his speed in a mini-reconditioning programme.

He returned to score two tries in a sharp performance against his country of birth, a 49-0 win over Fiji in Perth this month.

"At the time I wasn't happy about not playing those test matches. In hindsight it's been great for me I think. I'm feeling refreshed, mentally and physically.

"Whether I needed that I don't know, but it did help."

Asked whether his speed training would be evident when he marks Joe Rokocoko, Tuqiri said "you'll have to wait and see".

His year-long Super 14 tryscoring drought was well documented, only ending when he touched down during the Waratahs' upset win over the Hurricanes in Wellington in May.

During the Super 14 there was plenty of speculation in Australia over a possible code switch, with several National Rugby League clubs chasing his services.

He re-signed with rugby, a five-year deal worth a reported A$5 million ($5.57 million), but admitted the past few months took a toll.

"I've had a big year, more so off the field, and having that couple of weeks off to do my own thing and get away from footy. I came back and thought 'this is where I want to be'.

"You don't realise the toll that it takes on your mental state. I'm thankful for having those couple of weeks off now. Hopefully I can show it's helped me out.

"We (Waratahs) weren't going that well and my face was getting splashed over the paper every time we had a loss. That grates on you a bit."

- NZPA

Hayman and Woodcock must be watering at the mouth. Scrums to AB, line outs to Wallabies. Giteau/Mortlock/Latham (haven't seen the lineup yet, but I assume they're in) to wreak havoc, but AB back row to do the real damage.

High scoring, but AB by 12, IMHO.

Hayman and Woodcock must be watering at the mouth. Scrums to AB, line outs to Wallabies. Giteau/Mortlock/Latham (haven't seen the lineup yet, but I assume they're in) to wreak havoc, but AB back row to do the real damage.

High scoring, but AB by 12, IMHO.

Australia: Julian Huxley, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Stirling Mortlock (capt), Matt Giteau, Lote Tuqiri, Stephen Larkham, George Gregan, Wycliff Palu, George Smith, Rocky Elsom, Dan Vickerman, Nathan Sharpe, Guy Shepherdson, Stephen Moore, Matt Dunning. Res: Adam Freier, Al Baxter, Mark Chisholm, Stephen Hoiles, Phil Waugh, Scott Staniforth, Mark Gerrard.

New Zealand: Leon MacDonald, Rico Gear, Mils Muliaina, Luke McAlister, Joe Rokocoko, Daniel Carter, Byron Kelleher, Rodney So'oialo, Richie McCaw (capt), Jerry Collins, Troy Flavell, Chris Jack, Carl Hayman, Anton Oliver, Tony Woodcock. Res: Keven Mealamu, Neemia Tialata, Ross Filipo, Chris Masoe, Piri Weepu, Aaron Mauger, Nick Evans.

I reckon ABs by 5. Its gonna be a huge battle up front as it will probably be wet for tonights game. Reducing errors will be key ie knock-ons, and mis timed passes. Carter will be instrumental to be on target with the boot to kick for field position and penalties. Larkham and Morts the same. The ABs back 3 to outshine their counterparts.

Melbourne Four Day Forecast

Saturday

Showers

High: 13

Low: 8

Dew point: 3

Humidity: 56%

Wind at 09:00:

12km/h, W

Wind at 15:00:

11km/h, W

Rain probability: 70% (1-5mm)

wow what a game. But sadly not the result I was looking for, just a few droppd passes made the difference.

ABs scrum was solid and line outs ok. Carter had an average night and the Aussies took their chances and came up with the goods.

theres one thing Im glad about, its not the world cup semi final!

AUSSIE LEGENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But when you've got World Best Prop Matt Dunning in your team, what can't you do?

We were so written off the last year or two and now the team that knows how to peak at the right time is starting its rise. Yeah baby, look out!!!!!

AUSSIE LEGENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But when you've got World Best Prop Matt Dunning in your team, what can't you do?

We were so written off the last year or two and now the team that knows how to peak at the right time is starting its rise. Yeah baby, look out!!!!!

I saw a different aussie scrum to you Doza, one getting a hammering and going backwards.

the All Blacks were found wanting in the midfield with Morts opening them up.

Aussie missed plenty of tackles too. Good game could have gone the other way. Sooialo dropped a pass that could have been.

dont write off the ABs just yet, they have 2 home games now.

Yeah the Dunning piece was tongue in cheek! But the scrum wasn't totally smashed, some positives there.

I certainly wan't writing the ABs off, but the 'game could have gone either way' bit is for losers because it didn't. At the end of the day the ABs missed some crucial tackles and it paid - Mauger, McAlister, Jack, McCaw, and someone else all missed one on ones which led to tries.

I'm just gald that we are hitting our straps as a month ago I would have said we were no chance to win a game in the Tri Nations and the WC would be an embarrasment. Tide is turning...

Yeah the Dunning piece was tongue in cheek! But the scrum wasn't totally smashed, some positives there.

I certainly wan't writing the ABs off, but the 'game could have gone either way' bit is for losers because it didn't. At the end of the day the ABs missed some crucial tackles and it paid - Mauger, McAlister, Jack, McCaw, and someone else all missed one on ones which led to tries.

I'm just gald that we are hitting our straps as a month ago I would have said we were no chance to win a game in the Tri Nations and the WC would be an embarrasment. Tide is turning...

the tide is turning but will it stay high.......? The aussie scrum was going backwards mate, and the hooker and props were getting popped up by the AB front row.

a few missed kicks (3) as well that may have been the difference, so it could have been different. Gregan was back to his usual self...yapping all night at the ref. Unbelievabilty, the ref was sucked in and pinged NZ. and sent our prop to the bin.

ABs wont <deleted> up in NZ- and will bounce back to beat Aus by more than 5 pts. You can be sure of that. this loss will make them stronger!

will have to come back and check this thread after the return game me thinks.

Yes mate, just relax over there! I am not saying the Aussies are the best etc etc. Just let me get excited for a moment because we are playing decent footy! I am happy to concede the AB are still the best team in the world right now and will be VERY hard to beat at home so don't stress!

By the way, we also missed some kicks so it certainly could have been different - a BIGGER scoreline!

I am just happy we have a reasonable expectation to play well adn even possibly win in NZ, something I never would have dreamed a month ago. Dont' get so defensive!

Wallabies vs Boks last night wasnt the one way traffic that was expected, especially when the home union (Aus) had been critising Jake White for sending a understength side. Must been quite unsettling for Conolley at half time to be behind, and also being 17-0 down at one stage.

The Wallabies showed their class again this week by holding their nerve from another come from behind win, and also to hold their opponents scoreless in the second half.

It possibly may have been a totally different outcome with the top tier team touring......who knows for sure but it has given White more players to pick from now.

ABs vs Boks in CHCH was a disappointing game imho. Too many stop starts and dropped balls and sloppy plays from both sides. The Boks at least have an excuse, they were a 2nd tier side but held the ABs tryless till late in the 2nd half. Henry must be slightly worried that his team were not as clinical as hoped. Now theres only 2 months before the RWC starts and not many chances now to test his first xv against quality opposition- only the Wallabies this weekend really.

This weekend is the playoffs for the Trinations and Bledisloe cups so will be a cracker, expect a fiery encounter from both sides with the defensive lapses in the AB midfield to be tested yet again from Mortlock. They need to contain him and Larkham.We still have yet to bed in a first choice midfield combo. Our AB pack will front up again and dominate the Aussie pack, Gregan will be under pressure from a backpeddlig scrum, but theres still a chance for the Wallabies forwards to contest at line outs- hopefully Jack can be back at his best.

should be a good one

Yep it certainly should be a cracker! I am hoping mostly for an open and entertaining close game.

It will be interesting to see how the AB midfield holds up and the Aussie scrum as well. They could be key match ups. The other one is the lineout where the ABs have been average and the Wallabies might be able to steal a few.

Anyway, its crucial build up for both squads and I cant wait for it!!!

Yep it certainly should be a cracker! I am hoping mostly for an open and entertaining close game.

It will be interesting to see how the AB midfield holds up and the Aussie scrum as well. They could be key match ups. The other one is the lineout where the ABs have been average and the Wallabies might be able to steal a few.

Anyway, its crucial build up for both squads and I cant wait for it!!!

me too. The AB team named yesterday will be the strongest for awhile I rekon (except for Ali Williams for Robinson ) and will possibly be Henrys semifinal and finals team if we make it (Ali out with a broken jaw)

Midfield is still my concern with Toeava and McAlister, hope they contain Morts running on the angle. Look for Carter to lift his game this week.

Its gonna be a huge game. Any predictions Doza?? I rekon ABs by 10.

All Blacks make three changes for Wallabies clash

Byron Kelleher, Jerry Collins and Anton Oliver are the three new starting faces in the All Blacks side named today to face Australia in the decisive Tri-Nations/Bledisloe Cup rugby test at Eden Park here on Saturday.

Halfback Kelleher comes in for Piri Weepu in the only change to the backline which struggled for fluidity in last Saturday's 33-6 defeat of South Africa in Christchurch.

Winger Joe Rokocoko retains his place ahead of the injured Sitiveni Sivivatu, who was originally named to start at Jade Stadium but hurt himself in the warmups.

The switches in the pack see Collins replace Reuben Thorne on the blindside flank and hooker Anton Oliver start ahead of Keven Mealamu, who will join Thorne on the reserve bench.

A notable selection is that of Luke McAlister ahead of the experienced Aaron Mauger at second five-eighth in what coach Graham Henry has described as his "strongest team".

ALL BLACKS

Backs

Mils Muliaina, Doug Howlett, Isaia Toeava, Luke McAlister, Joe Rokocoko, Daniel Carter, Byron Kelleher.

Forwards

Rodney So'oialo, Richie McCaw (captain), Jerry Collins, Chris Jack, Keith Robinson, Carl Hayman, Anton Oliver, Tony Woodcock.

Reserves: Keven Mealamu, Neemia Tialata, Reuben Thorne, Chris Masoe, Brendon Leonard, Aaron Mauger, Nick Evans.

well Rugby fans its only 50 days till the Rugby World Cup starts, cant wait.

this weekends game will be one of the most crucial games this pre RWC season as far as Im concerned. Scrums will be huge and defence will be key in this game, im looking forward to a more polished performance from last weekend, esp in the passing and offloading in tackles. Looking for Carter to direct midfield play and dictate the game via his kicking game. ABs also need to be more patient as they seem to be pushing passes and lacked general direction last week.

This is the dress rehearsal for the semis.Whoever wins this titanic battle will most probably go on and win the RWC. Much of the favourisim of the ABs have come down imo, and the Wallabies and Boks have made strides that will make this RWC one of the best.

may the best team win!