Rugby World Cup 2007

so what is the feeling amongst the English supporters, now that you are facing the Boks in the final?

You know what the Boks arsenal are; solid scrum, very physical in the breakdown, very good at set pieces, strong midfield combos, good kickers and excellent finishers on the wings.

Im sure the English will want to play the same style as the last 2 outings; percentage rugby, hoping to turnover the ball from the Boks and perhaps get them to cough up penalties within kicking range. Keeping in tight and making the advantage line.

should England win this weekend, it will be the most amazing turnaround in rugby history.

we have had an absolutely exciting RWC to date, the pools were mostly predictable with a few teams playing above their rankings namely Tonga, Fiji and Georgia. Some disappointments that we didnt expect in Wales and Ireland.

And the unexpected losses of NZ and Australia.

We have a 50-50 chance, so just like the Saffers then. England needs to improve their lineout - it wasn't impressive against France and SA's is prolly the best in the world. However, the SA scrum looked distinctly wobbly against the Pumas (WOBBLY not WALLABIES :o ), CJ vd Linde looked uncomfortable at the tight head - and 'Big Ted' will be looking to take advantage - which could give the English back row and half backs the opportunity to play off the front foot. Worked in the QF's, so who knows?

And yes, that humiliation in the pool stages will be highly motivating to the defending champs!

Bring it on ...

CC

Edited by Captain Chaos

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have to agree that it has been a very interesting and exciting series. That Australia and more surprisingly New Zealand dropped out is to me a disapointment but the simple fact of the matter is that South Africa and England made it to the finals. I hope it will be a great game and to whoever wins - good on ya mate.

just hope it is the Springboks - don't think I can put up with another four years of "we are the greatest" from the poms

CB

Well I have to agree that it has been a very interesting and exciting series. That Australia and more surprisingly New Zealand dropped out is to me a disapointment but the simple fact of the matter is that South Africa and England made it to the finals. I hope it will be a great game and to whoever wins - good on ya mate.

just hope it is the Springboks - don't think I can put up with another four years of "we are the greatest" from the poms

CB

I'm not usually an England supporter at all, but the constant trash talking of them that I hear from many defeated wallabie supporters has turned me into one out of spite. :o

so what is the feeling amongst the English supporters, now that you are facing the Boks in the final?

You know what the Boks arsenal are; solid scrum, very physical in the breakdown, very good at set pieces, strong midfield combos, good kickers and excellent finishers on the wings.

Im sure the English will want to play the same style as the last 2 outings; percentage rugby, hoping to turnover the ball from the Boks and perhaps get them to cough up penalties within kicking range. Keeping in tight and making the advantage line.

should England win this weekend, it will be the most amazing turnaround in rugby history.

we have had an absolutely exciting RWC to date, the pools were mostly predictable with a few teams playing above their rankings namely Tonga, Fiji and Georgia. Some disappointments that we didnt expect in Wales and Ireland.

And the unexpected losses of NZ and Australia.

Nothing to worry about. England have got better as the tournament has progressed, and rthe team that the Saffers will be facing on Saturday is vastly different from the one of a month ago. More organised, looking like they actually have a plan and implementing it well, using their strengths and of course a fit again Jonny. :o

We owe them one for that humiliation, England shouldn't be under estimated, as other teams have found to their cost this tournament.

Can't wait for it, should be a great night :D

CB

I'm not usually an England supporter at all, but the constant trash talking of them that I hear from many defeated wallabie supporters has turned me into one out of spite. :D

:o

Couldn't agree with you more.

As regards the "we are the greatest", that one has been used constantly by the Kiwis in Rugby terms and Aussies in Cricket for a number of years. Just wish some would lose with a little more grace.

CB

I'm not usually an England supporter at all, but the constant trash talking of them that I hear from many defeated wallabie supporters has turned me into one out of spite. :D

Yep, really strange. You should try living there. The only times I've heard anything close to the "we are the greatest" spiel from the English is generally along the lines of "who holds the cup then" after the usual crap that is thrown at them.

The boks will be tough but not as formidable as everyone is expecting. Bottom-slapping time me thinks. :D

CB

I'm not usually an England supporter at all, but the constant trash talking of them that I hear from many defeated wallabie supporters has turned me into one out of spite. :o

trash talking from the defeated wallaby supporters? Jeeze louise take a break and get over it. It's called a wind up mate.

CB

SA have a more rounded side and will be clear favourites on paper, but I think that is balanced out by the mental strength England have displayed in turning things around. Again England go into a game as underdogs with nothing to lose and a building momentum pushing them forward. I think its 50-50.

I agree! I have never heard so much whinging from the Poms as I have this world cup and so much sh*t dished out to losing teams. Talk about being good winners - they have been terrible. Just because they got a wind up from the Aussie administration who said they were an average team. Well what would YOU say after their last 4 years (last two games notwithstanding as comments were prior to that)???

Geez....get over it.

I agree! I have never heard so much whinging from the Poms as I have this world cup and so much sh*t dished out to losing teams. Talk about being good winners - they have been terrible. Just because they got a wind up from the Aussie administration who said they were an average team. Well what would YOU say after their last 4 years (last two games notwithstanding as comments were prior to that)???

Geez....get over it.

Think you've got your wires crossed there, Dozy. You lot love to dish it out but just cannot take it up you as evidenced time and time again. Aussie uncouthness at its best :D

Try tiddlywinks :D

What would we say?

Simple, we wouldn't say a thing, as a rule, we don't start sledging matches. Apart from being ungentlemanly and unsportsmanlike, its because we know, all too well, that if things don't go as planned those words may come back to haunt us and contain twice the sting!

The thing that makes this worse perhaps is because most of us know and, I believe, most Aussies know that these sledgers are in the minority and are probably a bit of an embarrassment.

Edited by quiksilva

As regards the "we are the greatest", that one has been used constantly by the Kiwis in Rugby terms and Aussies in Cricket for a number of years. Just wish some would lose with a little more grace.

Wrong...................Kiwi's in Rugby terms, and Australians in every other sport from tiddlywinks to tossing the shelias :o

Of course the main problem is all the Pom haters who said " England World champs? Just wait until the next World Cup. "

Still waiting fellas

CB

trash talking from the defeated wallaby supporters? Jeeze louise take a break and get over it. It's called a wind up mate.

CB

So was mine... you guys are touchy this week. :o

CB

CB

So was mine... you guys are touchy this week. :o

really :D

Boys, boys, boys don't squabble. It has been a superb RWC and we have a great final to look forward too.

France ring changes for Pumas tie

France coach Bernard Laporte has picked fly-half David Skrela at centre in one of nine changes for Friday's World Cup third-place tie against Argentina.

Team - France: Poitrenaud, Rougerie, Skrela, Traille, Dominici, Michalak, Elissalde; Poux, Ibanez, De Villiers, Nallet, Thion, Nyanga, Dusautoir, Harinordoquy.

Replacements: Bruno, Mas, Chabal, Martin, Mignoni, Beauxis, Clerc.

More

Personally I despise 3rd/4th playoff games none of the players want them after missing out on the final. When asked about this game Argentina's Pichot said quite bluntly 'the World Cup is over for us'

Only saving grace is that it gives the rest of the squad a run out. Laporte will look a right nob if Skrela plays a cracker.

Boks boss set to quit after final

South Africa coach Jake White has strongly hinted that Saturday's Rugby World Cup final against England will be his last match in charge.

The 43-year-old is out of contract at the end of the year and his position has already been advertised.

White, in charge of the team since 2004, told the Guardian newspaper: "When you win the World Cup you've got to go, there's no more you can achieve.

"And if you don't, they probably want you to go anyway."

More

England renaissance 'masks flaws'

Former England coach Dick Best has warned English rugby not to get carried away by the euphoria surrounding Saturday's World Cup final.

England have the chance to create history as the first team to successfully defend the World Cup.

But Best said the domestic game was still plagued by serious problems.

More

So,do you think sheridan,regan,vikery,& co can get the upper hand against the boks like they did against australia?

Who do you think will win the forwards battle,if the game largely go's that way?

Think England may get an edge in the scrum, which would be important to let the back row play off the front foot and put the Boks under the same kind of pressure they exerted on the Aussies and the French. Doubt they'll do any better than line out parity against Messrs Matfield and Botha though...

So,do you think sheridan,regan,vikery,& co can get the upper hand against the boks like they did against australia?

Who do you think will win the forwards battle,if the game largely go's that way?

Think England may get an edge in the scrum, which would be important to let the back row play off the front foot and put the Boks under the same kind of pressure they exerted on the Aussies and the French. Doubt they'll do any better than line out parity against Messrs Matfield and Botha though...

Agreed, and it is important that England continue to try and play to their stregnths and not get roped into trying to throw it around. Should be a really interesting match up on Saturday. Just hope England get the result.

England should have the edge in the scrum but the Boks will win the lineout battle. The key will be who can dominate at the breakdown. England will have to compete like never before. The closer the score the more likely it is that England will win. They have to keep it tight.

Lewsey out is also a blow - he will be gutted.

England should have the edge in the scrum but the Boks will win the lineout battle. The key will be who can dominate at the breakdown. England will have to compete like never before. The closer the score the more likely it is that England will win. They have to keep it tight.

Lewsey out is also a blow - he will be gutted.

The Boks will be keen to keep the game expansive and use Peiterson and Habana as much as they can. England will be a handful at scrum time but I think it will be a close contest. Ruck and mauls will be also close as both have big men in the pack.

Englands crucial points will again come from JW, although his stats havent been as good at this RWC, he seems to be getting it together when it counts. The Boks will be targeting him for sure.

this could be great news for Argies rugby

Pumas set for Tri-Nations leap

Argentina could be playing in an expanded Tri-Nations tournament next year.

They have proved good enough to compete with their Southern Hemisphere rivals in a new four-team tournament which has the backing of TV bosses. Ironically, the only barrier appears to be the International Rugby Board, a body that ought to be the Pumas' greatest supporters.

They patted the Pumas on the head, figuratively speaking, after Monday's semifinal against South Africa and told them how well they'd done to reach the last four. They could finish third if they beat France on Saturday.

Yet the IRB continues to drag its feet over getting the Pumas into a serious professional competition.

more here

Argentina1.jpg

cant argue with that

Win would mean more than 2003, says Kay

Ben Kay believes a win for England in Sunday's World Cup final against South Africa would top their success in lifting the trophy four years ago in Australia.

"I honestly believe that if we win at the weekend, it'll mean more to me than last time, because of the trough that we've been through since winning that World Cup, personally and as a team," said Kay, a member of the England side that beat Australia in the 2003 final.

England endured a dreadful run of results between this edition and the last, winning just 16 out of 40 Tests - a run that left few thinking they could become the first team in history to win back-to-back World Cups.

more here

kay1601.jpg

England lock Ben Kay. Photo / Reuters

the expectation on the Boks will be massive. They are similiar to NZ, in that the public expects wins and should there be losses, heads will roll.

what are your views on the Boks quota system coming into the team for next season? I think that the Boks will be a weakened side should they have a quota system based on colour and not ability, but will be still competitive.

Smit carrying burden of expectation

Like any good hooker, South Africa captain John Smit has spent years in the gym building up his muscles to survive the physical demands of international rugby.

The results are plain to see - he is a big man with an impressive physique. Yet Smit's greatest strength has got nothing to do with his bulging biceps.

As captain of the Springboks, Smit carries an extra burden that few other sportsmen would ever consider lifting and he is lucky to have been born with broad shoulders because the weight of expectation and pressure can be crippling.

South Africans love their rugby but do not like to settle for second best. They won the World Cup at home in 1995 and the pressure on them to win again this year is enormous.

Should they succeed, 29-year-old Smit will be revered as a national hero, should they lose, he may never play for the Springboks again.

more here

smit2301.jpg

Springbok captain John Smit speaks with coach Jake White during training. Photo / Reuters