Two Thai returnees in state quarantine found to be reinfected with Covid-19

webfact

Two Thai returnees in state quarantine found to be reinfected with Covid-19

By The Nation

800_6e00d644537480d.jpg

There were two cases of reinfection of the three new Covid-19 cases in state quarantine over a 24-hour period, the Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) said on Friday.

A 42-year-old man who had returned from Singapore on September 18 was found positive on September 23 in Chonburi state quarantine. He had been infected earlier but did not go to a hospital in Singapore for treatment. The Singapore health authority found him free from infection on June 11.

A 58-year-old man travelled back from Kuwait on September 22 and tested positive the same day. His health history showed that he had been infected and got treated in a hospital before returning to Thailand.

A 42-year-old woman returned from the United States on September 19 and tested positive on September 23 in Chonburi’s state quarantine facility.

Meanwhile, seven patients have recovered and been discharged from hospitals.

The total number of confirmed cases in Thailand increased to 3,519 (581 in state quarantine), of whom 100 are in hospital and 3,360 have recovered and been discharged, while the death toll is 59.

According to Worldometer, as of 10am, the total number of confirmed cases had increased to 32.4 million (up by 314,855 over a 24-hour period), 23.9 million have recovered, there are 7.49 million active cases ( 63,333 in severe condition) and 987,724 have died.

Thailand ranks 136th for most cases in the world, while the US has the most number with 7.18 million, followed by India 5.81 million, Brazil 4.65 million, Russia 1.12 million and Colombia 790,823.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30395112

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-25

3 hours ago, Emdog said:

Reinfected? If this is correct, then what does that say to the theory that antibodies offer protection once you've had a dose of covid?

You obviously haven't been paying attention, as there's no standards or guarantees regarding this bug. The experts are still learning a lot continuously - contradicting what they thought they knew last month.

The situations are quite variable. 

4 hours ago, Emdog said:

Reinfected? If this is correct, then what does that say to the theory that antibodies offer protection once you've had a dose of covid?

vaccine has ZERO chance to be effective , that is a sign

keep your money, but off course, to much $$$$$$$$ to be made if it works or not

if it harms people or not (big pharma cannot be sued)

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

You obviously haven't been paying attention, as there's no standards or guarantees regarding this bug. The experts are still learning a lot continuously - contradicting what they thought they knew last month.

The situations are quite variable. 

Huh. I thought I had been paying attention... my point is that if you can be reinfected in spite of having antibodies from previous infections then that throws much of conventional wisdom out the window.

Need something more along the lines of polio vaccine, fwiw

And yes, I know they are learning more with every passing week. That's why I brought up this seeming "red flag"

• Like 1