American expat charged with defamation after leaving multiple negative reviews online

rooster59

12 hours ago, polpott said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugly_American_(pejorative)

"Ugly American" is a stereotype depicting American citizens as exhibiting loud, arrogant, demeaning, thoughtless, ignorant, and ethnocentric behavior mainly abroad, but also at home.

The term was used as the title of a 1948 photograph of an American tourist in Havana by the Cuban photographer Constantino Arias 

200px-ConstantinoAriasUglyAmerican.jpg

By no means does this apply to all Americans but the guy in the OP does seem to fit the bill. We've all met 'em.

We also have met the Ugly Aussies the ugly Poms the ugly Europeans and the rest maybe they're just ugly people from anywhere.Maybe the are just normal people that occasionally behave in an ugly way.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, oldhippy said:

If Tripadvisor were not such a shoddy low cost profit maximising website, they would hire moderators, and all this would not have happened.

Im not sure about T/A but Airbnb do have moderators and case managers dealing with the reviews I've spoken to them

Yes there were now many articles in foreign newspaper. But even this will not change a lot.
Be honest you remember about the foreigner a few years ago who was going into prison in Chiang Mai for <deleted> on a picture of the King?

In a few months nobody will talk about this case anymore. And this keyboard warriors who give a bad rating without even be there are the best example, why it should not be allowed to give ratings without knowledge.
Something else I read some of the comments in 2-3 newspapers (online) and I saw a lot of people who think it's OK to arrest him (I think it's a little to harsh). But let's face at the give time more and more people are unhappy with the "trolls" in the Internet who think they can write bad about anything without need to fear something will happen to them.
Who knows maybe in future something similar will also be more accepted in the so called first world countries. Many people write to kill somebody or to rape somebody because they heard a story or not like something. Most of this Keyboard warrirors wouldn't be like that in real life, but because it's Internet and they think you can't find out it's them.. they do it.. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

We also have met the Ugly Aussies the ugly Poms the ugly Europeans and the rest maybe they're just ugly people from anywhere.Maybe the are just normal people that occasionally behave in an ugly way.

Never seen any of the other nationalitys you mention wearing Stetsons with an obscenely phallic cigar stuck in their mouths.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Ugly american is racist, 

This is just as BAD.   You are promoting hatred of a group of people.  You are using bad stereotypes.  You should be banned from America.  Your hatred is quite possible worse than the American.  

shame.   Do you have kids?

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

This is just as BAD.   You are promoting hatred of a group of people.  You are using bad stereotypes.  You should be banned from America.  Your hatred is quite possible worse than the American.  

shame.   Do you have kids?

I think you misunderstand! The expression "ugly American" is racist! But true, some americans is loud, rude, and so on. Your president is a good proof.

It doesnt make any other nationality look better when they act the same way.

Edited by Tagged
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

The only mistake the hotel made, was trying to be reasonable and accommodating to the rude, aggressive, arrogant Wesley Barnes …. this idiot is a ‘roll ’n butter’ and has plenty of previous, although he is now trying to embrace the modern orthodoxy of victimhood imageproxy.php?img=&key=de238a8f491e857f ¯\_()_/¯

Screen Shot 2020-09-30 at 1.48.52 AM.png

Before you post things like this are you sure it's the same guy? I have seen this posted on another forum and if he has plenty of previous as you quoted how would he get work permit?

Edited by ChipButty

3 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Before you post things like this are you sure it's the same guy? I have seen this posted on another forum and if he has plenty of previous as you quoted how would he get work permit?

That's a fair point, I was assured that it is him, but I will investigate further ..... thanks 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

That's a fair point, I was assured that it is him, but I will investigate further ..... thanks 

To get a work permit he needs a B visa I think im right in saying he has to get a police report, Im not an expert some guys on here will put us right who have more experience than us

17 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

To get a work permit he needs a B visa I think im right in saying he has to get a police report, Im not an expert some guys on here will put us right who have more experience than us

Another good point; however, plenty of people working in Thailand without a work permit, I know two here in Hua Hin. If that is the case, he will have something else to worry about. I guess we won't know for sure unless the Police release a mugshot. I could only find one Wesley G Barnes on Facebook and the profile was sans photograph. (*∆°)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

There are no criminal background checks required for a Non-B visa or work permit IIRC. For English teachers? I don't know.

Thais will probably check their own system but they don't have access to foreign Police records. It should be noted that their own system (for locals anyway) is a complete nonsense.

What they usually do in other countries is ask for a Police background check prior to issuance of a work visa. You have to produce one from your home country if you are applying for Thai permanent residency.

Edited by Mr Meeseeks
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, pegman said:

100,000? Do you really think the Chinese or other Asians care that an American felon got locked up. Amused maybe but surely not concerned. Same goes for single males from anywhere. 

Read the readers' comments in the New York Times.

100,000 out of a former 40 million is 0.25%.