American expat charged with defamation after leaving multiple negative reviews online

rooster59

3 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

Please understand that the so-called "Ugly American" in the book by that name was, actually, the hero.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugly_American_(pejorative)

"Ugly American" is a stereotype depicting American citizens as exhibiting loud, arrogant, demeaning, thoughtless, ignorant, and ethnocentric behavior mainly abroad, but also at home.

The term was used as the title of a 1948 photograph of an American tourist in Havana by the Cuban photographer Constantino Arias 

200px-ConstantinoAriasUglyAmerican.jpg

By no means does this apply to all Americans but the guy in the OP does seem to fit the bill. We've all met 'em.

4 hours ago, Tagged said:

And another one in the shame box for all of us who are living here. 

Some still wondering why some thais do not like western people? For everyone who get published like this, more come along to hate the western attitude

please don't tar me with the same brush as this typically loud and obnoxious American.

2 hours ago, aroiaroi said:

International headlines are along the lines of "Foreigner in Thailand submits 1 start hotel review and hotel pressed charges leading to jail time".
Apart from obviously being a bad business decision, it would appear they will have indirectly (and naively) damaged Thailand tourism industry.

The moral of the story is that there are better ways to handle a disgruntled customer than jailing them.

Hi, I agree with you that there are better ways of dealing with a disgruntled customer, but it needs both sides to be reasonable, post event. I don't know how much you have read about this issue, but Wesley Barnes was not in the least bit interested in making any compromise.

The hotel said “Before filing a complaint with the authorities, we attempted to contact the guest multiple times via email’s, TripAdvisor and phone calls, in order to settle this dispute amicably. None of our communications were successful, with the guest only responding to our messages after his arrest”

Phone and mail records can of course confirm this; however, he seemed to think he could continue to post multiple malicious and false comments about the hotel, even accusing them of slavery from the safety of his keyboard, without any repercussions.

There is a huge difference between posting negative comments, which can be helpful to us all, if truthful and constructive, and malicious, false, inflammatory ones; he thought he could get away with trying to ruin a small business with false accusations, and now he's crying like a baby and embracing this repugnant modern orthodoxy of victimhood.

On the first page of this post, Richard Barrow has kindly posted a link to the 5 page statement from the hotel, if you want to read both sides of the story

Cheers

• Like 2

On 9/28/2020 at 5:42 PM, vinny41 said:

The Hotel only went to the police after the 4th negative review 6-8 weeks after the person left the hotel and he ignored emails from both the hotel and tripadvisor and when contacted by phone refused to discuss the issue.

I do not know how many travel sites there are. I do not think you are limited to how many sites you can give a review on. I am still giving reviews on places I visited a few years ago.

1 minute ago, Purdey said:

I do not know how many travel sites there are. I do not think you are limited to how many sites you can give a review on. I am still giving reviews on places I visited a few years ago.

a year ago? and do you remember the details? I never ever gave any review for anything, no interest at all.

3 minutes ago, A512 said:

a year ago? and do you remember the details? I never ever gave any review for anything, no interest at all.

Yes, I am one of those who actually remembers a good holiday and have a big Excel spreadsheet of where I stayed, for how many days and how good it was. I share with friends.

9 minutes ago, Purdey said:

4 minutes ago, Purdey said:

4.5 stars on Tripadvisor. 30 reviews said it was terrible. Why get so upset about one bad review?

But as we alll know it wasn't 1 review it was 4 reviews over a period of 2 months

"The management says it had told Mr Barnes several times they would not go ahead with pressing charges if he stopped writing new "false" reviews."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-54335789

Here is 

An  Hotel Owner’s Story on Fake Reviews on TripAdvisor and how long it takes Tripadvisor to review fake reviews before removal

https://tripadvisorwatch.wordpress.com/trip-advisor-fake-reviews/

September 2018

“We see this as a landmark ruling for the Internet,” said Brad Young, VP, associate general counsel at TripAdvisor. “Writing fake reviews has always been fraud, but this is the first time we’ve seen someone sent to jail as a result.

https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/tripadvisor-fake-reviews-paid-fraud-jail-legal-case-italy-promosalento-a8534006.html

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 9/26/2020 at 7:07 AM, ThailandRyan said:

Only in Thailand could this happen. No cease and desist orders necessary or blocking him and having the posts removed.  Not like tbe rest of the world.

Yes, of course.

The rest of the world.

????

2 hours ago, Purdey said:

Yes, I am one of those who actually remembers a good holiday and have a big Excel spreadsheet of where I stayed, for how many days and how good it was. I share with friends.

can't remember my last breakfast, time to start a journal about my whereabouts. I always feel like surprise me about the places I am going to stay like in the old times before internet. also I failed to see the point of promoting someone's business, I would not get paid for that.

8 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Here is 

An  Hotel Owner’s Story on Fake Reviews on TripAdvisor and how long it takes Tripadvisor to review fake reviews before removal

https://tripadvisorwatch.wordpress.com/trip-advisor-fake-reviews/

Unfortunately there are many times more fake positive reviews on TripAdvisor than negative reviews.

According to TripAdvisor, 3 of the top 10 restaurants in Pattaya are Indian, including Number 1. (ask an expat if there are any decent Indian restaurants in Pattaya) Their reviews are littered with fake reviews. Easy to spot, many reviewers have only the one review and contain the same stock phrases throughout the reviews, No:3 on the list is on 2nd Road, never has customers and one review was clearly by the manager posing as a customer.

As a user, I'd rather see a few overly negative reviews than reams of blatantly fake positive reviews.

Edited by polpott
  • Like 2

The fact that the American posted multiple reviews indicates psychological insecurity and obsessive behavior. I wouldn't want to be on the guy's enemy list. He sounds like the kind of person who will butcher your dog and burn your car, just because your tree grows over his fence. A course in anger management seems appropriate, not jail time.

If this thing goes to court, Thailand will lose 100,000 potential tourists, and the resort better change its name, as it will be tainted beyond repair as well. Both sides overreacted.

Edited by Ganesh108
addition

8 minutes ago, Ganesh108 said:

The fact that the American posted multiple reviews indicates psychological insecurity and obsessive behavior. I wouldn't want to be on the guy's enemy list. He sounds like the kind of person who will butcher your dog and burn your car, just because your tree grows over his fence. A course in anger management seems appropriate, not jail time.

If this thing goes to court, Thailand will lose 100,000 potential tourists, and the resort better change its name, as it will be tainted beyond repair as well.

100,000? Do you really think the Chinese or other Asians care that an American felon got locked up. Amused maybe but surely not concerned. Same goes for single males from anywhere. 

36 minutes ago, Ganesh108 said:

If this thing goes to court, Thailand will lose 100,000 potential tourists, and the resort better change its name, as it will be tainted beyond repair as well. Both sides overreacted.

Maybe Americans but they over react anyway

• Confused 1