American expat charged with defamation after leaving multiple negative reviews online

rooster59

On 9/27/2020 at 10:04 AM, madmitch said:

And that is one of the main reaons why the law is so bad and why people can sue for defamation even though the "offender" might be completely right.

In most coutries defamation/libel/slander are civil and not criminal cases. You may have to pay damages but there's no chance of jail.

and what if one refuses to pay any damages, he does not own any property, or have much in the bank, how are they going to make him pay?      

Where Thailands concerned, that's another reason to keep the bulk of your money in your home country bank.

Just supposing I was charged with defamation, my house is in my wifes name, my life savings are in my UK bank, how is anyone going to get any money out of me?

On 9/27/2020 at 1:47 AM, pookondee said:

Ive got to agree.

The part i find funny is..

the guy hears the boss (supposedly) shouting aggressively at an employee..

So he coins the term "modern day slavery" and put it into the review.

ummm ok

SO..you have a foriegn guy who knows zero Thai language, yet ASSumes the boss is dissing on the employee..

without even knowing whats being said??

lol

The boss could have been venting to his employee about what aรร-หoles the farangs were, for all we know.

Unbelievable!

Its not uncommon though.

Ive seen it a few times.

Once in a place where an American was going absolutely off his chops about what he assumed a Thai barman was saying about him..

when in fact the barman was laughing and commenting (in Thai) about how he was impressed that the farang could drink so much and still be walking. 

There is (or rather there WAS) to many farang D-heads in Thailand.

Rough justice yeah, but sometimes hard to feel sorry for em.

On 9/27/2020 at 1:47 AM, pookondee said:

Ive got to agree.

The part i find funny is..

the guy hears the boss (supposedly) shouting aggressively at an employee..

So he coins the term "modern day slavery" and put it into the review.

ummm ok

SO..you have a foriegn guy who knows zero Thai language, yet ASSumes the boss is dissing on the employee..

without even knowing whats being said??

lol

The boss could have been venting to his employee about what aรร-หoles the farangs were, for all we know.

Unbelievable!

Its not uncommon though.

Ive seen it a few times.

Once in a place where an American was going absolutely off his chops about what he assumed a Thai barman was saying about him..

when in fact the barman was laughing and commenting (in Thai) about how he was impressed that the farang could drink so much and still be walking. 

There is (or rather there WAS) to many farang D-heads in Thailand.

Rough justice yeah, but sometimes hard to feel sorry for em.

"Modern day slavery"  thats exactly how i feel about American restauranteers who underpay their waiters so that they have to rely on tips to make a living. The USA must the worst in the world for this slavery habit.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

and what if one refuses to pay any damages, he does not own any property, or have much in the bank, how are they going to make him pay?      

Where Thailands concerned, that's another reason to keep the bulk of your money in your home country bank.

Just supposing I was charged with defamation, my house is in my wifes name, my life savings are in my UK bank, how is anyone going to get any money out of me?

keep you in prison until you pay?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

That's the answer I was expecting, but would that actually happen?

It has been reported that there are many people in IDC for many years due to insufficient funds to get released

you and your wife would have to decide pay to get your released or remain in prison

• Thanks 1

On 9/27/2020 at 2:29 AM, Flying Saucage said:

The outcry is not about bringing an own dring for free at a hotel. The outcry is about prosecuting and throwing a customer into jail for leaving a review on Trip Advisor. 

On 9/27/2020 at 3:21 AM, MRToMRT said:

I wonder what will happen if I make a police report because some people on this forum have called me a bit of a British <deleted>? 

Cmon, who the <deleted> would stay at this hotel if they knew the story even if the guy was a bit an <deleted>, apparently.

What a ridiculous state of affairs. 

Having read the genuine reviews obviously written by people who could afford to stay there. I am looking forward to staying at this resort one day.

• Like 1

On 9/27/2020 at 3:35 AM, DirtyHarry55 said:

When the resort sighed up for TripAdvisor they probably agreed to their "Terms & Condition" of which one is probably "you will not file Criminal charges against customer Reviews" ( or similar ).
Tripadvisor have the responsibility to protect customers by either by banning reviews completely from Thailand or at least banning the resorts who file Criminal charges against customers for bad reviews.
Google, Booking and Agoda should do the same. Sometimes you get good reviews sometimes bad grow up and live with it.

From what I understand he spent 3 days in prison and paid 100,000 for bail now imagine if that was you because you left a bad review on Google or TA.

But with him, it was not "a bad review"  it was malicious and repeated over and over for a couple of months.

On 9/26/2020 at 3:07 PM, ThailandRyan said:

Only in Thailand could this happen. No cease and desist orders necessary or blocking him and having the posts removed.  Not like tbe rest of the world.

I take customer service complaints on a regular basis, and the conversation normally starts with if I don't get what I want then I'm  going to give you a <deleted> rating / review.  

You cannot just remove a bad review, please god it was so simple. A bad review can ruin a business, so some power going back to the reviewed is not a bad thing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Mepham said:

I take customer service complaints on a regular basis, and the conversation normally starts with if I don't get what I want then I'm  going to give you a <deleted> rating / review.  

You cannot just remove a bad review, please god it was so simple. A bad review can ruin a business, so some power going back to the reviewed is not a bad thing.  

I mentioned a way back, Guest do it to try and get refunds and one guest said to a friend of mine if she give them a discount he will write a good review, 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2020 at 4:40 AM, CorpusChristie said:

No , the guy waged a war against his resort because they wouldnt allow him to bring beers in from 7/11

Some "think they are privileged Caucasian guys " seem to think that rules dont apply to them n

You must be referring to a different case as this one is all about them bringing a bottle of gin into the resort restaurant and then being charged corkage, this is fair enough as the glasses do not wash themselves. As for 7/11 beer i don't know what the hell you are blabbing on about.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mark131v said:

I have stayed there three times with my family and even had a five day break with my mum and dad when they visited and I must say it's a lovely place, that said I will not be staying again as any establishment who has to resort to these actions has lost it's way

The day they believe jailing guests who criticise them is the way to go they have advertised their true opinion and shown incredible arrogance and lack of critical thinking

The American sounds like a knob but that is not the point! hotel's like this cater to international guests who are not used to backward laws and 'face' for them to stoop to this rather than put a bit of effort into discrediting the Yank as most right thinking readers of the review would have done anyway shows they are unable to think beyond 'face' 

Seems they have caused irreparable damage to their reputation and the internet and foreign news are onto the story, guess you just can't fix stupid...

Please tell us all how much you paid for each nite of your visit.

Surely you weren't paying 6,000 THB a nite.

1 minute ago, Andy from Kent said:

Please tell us all how much you paid for each nite of your visit.

Surely you weren't paying 6,000 THB a nite.

Thee last visit would have been about 2014 and it was expensive however I was working offshore at the time and more than happy to push the boat out but no I don't think I would have been paying that much but it would have been in the 3's I think!! 

I always plan ahead and book early, for anybody interested another favourite of mine is the Marriott in Rayong again not cheap but brilliant food and you get what you pay for, I have been to enough <deleted>ty places to choose never to do that again only ever search 4 or 5 star places!

2 minutes ago, mark131v said:

Thee last visit would have been about 2014 and it was expensive however I was working offshore at the time and more than happy to push the boat out but no I don't think I would have been paying that much but it would have been in the 3's I think!! 

I always plan ahead and book early, for anybody interested another favourite of mine is the Marriott in Rayong again not cheap but brilliant food and you get what you pay for, I have been to enough <deleted>ty places to choose never to do that again only ever search 4 or 5 star places!

One thing about the Marriott group is the best breakfast you will ever get 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChipButty said:

The one in Rayong has a great restaurant and the pools are awesome and much less busy than the Pattaya one, come to think of it that was one of the reasons we liked the Sea view as their pools are really good as is their beech, shame really but I personally will not reward an organisation willing to stoop to getting negative reviews jailed, then again I have a moral code I try to live by

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mark131v said:

You have never posted anything any where I could find more accurate. 

I keep checking back with the Rayong  Marriott as the Ms. and me once paid just over 130 USD for a corner room that included breakfast.    What a breakfast

4 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

If I stayed there for two weeks including breakfast I think I'd come in about 22 stone.   555

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

You have never posted anything any where I could find more accurate. 

I keep checking back with the Rayong  Marriott as the Ms. and me once paid just over 130 USD for a corner room that included breakfast.    What a breakfast

If I stayed there for two weeks including breakfast I think I'd come in about 22 stone.   555

JW Marriott in Bangkok breakfast is unbelievable make some bacon sandwiches for later