American expat charged with defamation after leaving multiple negative reviews online

rooster59

On 10/2/2020 at 1:25 PM, smi11ie said:

I don't think the hotel will suffer, actually I think lots of people will want to check it out now.  The guy broke the law and got arrested.  The matter will probably be dropped if he apologises.  

But many people on this forum that rarely visit Thailand let alone Koh Chang are not going to book this hotel !!

• Haha 1

On 9/27/2020 at 9:13 AM, Solinvictus said:

Petty. Plenty of petty Euros in Thailand.

Not being able to bring in me own drink is an inconvenience! Na!

I'll say it again,

Not being able to bring in me own drink is an inconvenience.

• Sad 1

On 10/1/2020 at 9:13 AM, Eloquent pilgrim said:

The accusations of slavery are fake, which the hotel can prove with their employment records. Or do you think it is okay to make such a malicious and damaging false accusation ?

But it already backfired, and his criminal records from the US will cost him his job.

He'd just opened a can of worms, and they crawl all over now. 

22 minutes ago, Solinvictus said:

I'll say it again,

Not being able to bring in me own drink is an inconvenience.

You can drink whatever you want in your hotel, or resort room.

The owners of a resort should have some rights, don't you think? Even when 500 baht is way too much, but that's done to keep such people out.  

• Like 1

Just now, teacherclaire said:

You can drink whatever you want in your hotel, or resort room.

The owners of a resort should have some rights, don't you think? Even when 500 baht is way too much, but that's done to keep such people out.  

Yeah, I respect that fee for bringing in ones' own drink. However, IMO, it is an inconvenience. This guy was correct to post negative reviews despite his childishness.

• Sad 2

I saw a lot of discussion in this thread about whether the guy was right or not to post negative comments.

I think this case also raises a more general issue.

Will it (the fact that the guy was right or not) really play a significant role in the conviction decision? In other words: if someone is posting negative comments which are completely accurate and justified, can he be convicted for that?

I am afraid the answer to this latter question may well be positive.

This guy is no stranger to trouble it follows him he is 37, 3 years ago he pulled a gun in the US and these days he's resorting to reviewing hotels online and it seems he is paying a higher price for the reviews. Real mugshot photos too. 

3 hours ago, Solinvictus said:

This guy was correct to post negative reviews despite his childishness.

His grievance was the cover charge, the same charge the manage waived....

Definitely justifies his online attacks (they were not reviews) of this hotel yeah ?

4 hours ago, Jack Hna said:

This guy is no stranger to trouble it follows him he is 37, 3 years ago he pulled a gun in the US and these days he's resorting to reviewing hotels online and it seems he is paying a higher price for the reviews. Real mugshot photos too. 

I am impressed.

A poster that goes straight to the point, and does not lose our time with inconsequential side issues.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Don Mega said:

His grievance was the cover charge, the same charge the manage waived....

Definitely justifies his online attacks (they were not reviews) of this hotel yeah ?

His grievance was the rude manager.  The resort has no need for a farang manager now and will surely terminate when contract expires, if not sooner, was probably just taking his frustrations out on staff and guests.  When they get rid of this guy, maybe I’ll book the Sea View again.

• Like 2

On 9/26/2020 at 4:13 AM, CorpusChristie said:

Fully deserved , using websites to attack a resort, all because they wouldnt let him beer from 7/11 in 

Jails are full of narcissist's who think they can do whatever they want in life, I was a victim of a couple of them..........he deserves whatever they throw at him, though I see a big payout and a sincere Wai.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, TunnelRat69 said:

Jails are full of narcissist's who think they can do whatever they want in life, I was a victim of a couple of them..........he deserves whatever they throw at him, though I see a big payout and a sincere Wai.

But many of us are still free and will never be caught ❤️

• Haha 1

"We chose to file a complaint to serve as a deterrent" 

Scumbags, if anything they have deterred people from wanting to visit this horrible resort. Or the country for that matter, considering the courts took this ridiculous suit seriously. Visit Thailand, get jailed for nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/5/2020 at 1:38 PM, TunnelRat69 said:

Victims usually just deserve what happens to them !

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 2:40 PM, Northman said:

"We chose to file a complaint to serve as a deterrent" 

Scumbags, if anything they have deterred people from wanting to visit this horrible resort. Or the country for that matter, considering the courts took this ridiculous suit seriously. Visit Thailand, get jailed for nonsense.

Congratulations, for the dumbest comment on this post so far, which is, in itself, quite an achievement.

On a post about a hotel taking action against somebody under Thailands defamation laws, you decide to post a defamatory comment about said hotel; real smart that, I assume that you are not in Thailand, and if you are, I hope that nobody from the hotel reads your comment.

• Haha 2