Language Translator

sanuk711

3 hours ago, Mavideol said:

is it an off line translator

If I understand you correctly you have to have internet access on your mobile phone like most access to stuff.

I would think to put the translator on your mobile it would take up all the memory or not possible.

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

If I understand you correctly you have to have internet access on your mobile phone like most access to stuff.

I would think to put the translator on your mobile it would take up all the memory or not possible.

Microsoft Translator and Google Translate allows for offline text translation (after pre-loading the languages, Thai takes up 96MB and 46MB respectively).

Real time voice conversation (or transcription) requires Internet Access.

2 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Yer seems like it..........Is SK language tonal ?........anyway will post before I buy and after.  Thanks

No, BOTH Japanese and Korean are non-tonal languages so probably the translator machine has an easier time translating...

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

On 9/27/2020 at 10:01 PM, Kwasaki said:

My mobile is always on-line.

Hi Kwasaki,

Which translator do you use as I am looking for one for my Mobile and what on-line speed is required?

Win ????

4 hours ago, Kan Win said:

Hi Kwasaki,

Which translator do you use as I am looking for one for my Mobile and what on-line speed is required?

Win ????

Oh dear I'm not technical in phones only practical.

On my home computer at mo so tomorrow I'll try get someone find this mobile download.

I'm on a very slow cheap speed online from D.TAC.

I got it downloaded with many others from google and just kept it, as it is very near accurate and good so my Mrs says.

Hope to get back to you. regards K.

• Thanks 1

On 9/27/2020 at 1:27 AM, Kwasaki said:

I have a written and spoken language translater download on my mobile phone my Mrs said it translates Thai from English very good. 

I just google a translator download and pick it, from a few its been very handy when my Mrs ain't about. 

And the name of it is?

• Like 1

On 9/27/2020 at 5:29 PM, sanuk711 said:

these 2 on the TV program were doing anything but speaking slowly, at one time both translators going at the same time.

Keep in mind that those shows are rehearsed, scripted drama that is edited (heavily) to make it more presentable (as in "sellable") on screen. They can edit sound clips (i.e. for the translator) and insert them post-production to make it look like it was real time.
(I rarely look at that show as it seemed pretty obvious from the couple episodes I did watch that most of the couples were men (or women) from the States, hooking up with women (or men) from 3rd world countries and most of the issues they had revolved around money, especially when the woman/man from (wherever) arrives in the "Land of the Big Px" and discovers her/his "fiancee" is no where near as rich as they thought. In fact, it seems in almost every case that the man is a dollar away from being a homeless bum.)

(Also keep in mind that apparently those couples are paid something like $1,000 per episode. Not sure if that's together or each. They have a vested interest in keeping the drama quota high or risk being written off the show.)

On 9/27/2020 at 6:18 PM, Oldie said:

What is wrong with Google Translate? Why not this and it is free? 

Google translate (I use it a lot when typing on the computer) is awkward, full of errors and annoying it you are trying to converse with another person. For example, it can't tell the difference between "motorcycle" and "car". 
It is better than Bing though.

I rode with a delivery guy awhile ago and he spoke no English at all. When he called me to find out where to meet, he had his g/f do the talking.
When he showed up (no g/f) he immediately showed me the translation app he had on his phone. I d/l'd it from the Google Play store. It works pretty good, though it has problems with some translations (speaking clearly, slowly and using proper English helps).

It was good enough that we could have an OK conversation during the trip. Nothing complicated. 
I use that all the time now. 

It's not instantaneous translation. You press an icon, speak, press the icon again when finished and it reads back your words (and writes them) in Thai. If the other person presses the icon to the left of the "microphone" icon and then does the same thing, it translates his words into English (and writes them).

Unfortunately, the menus are all in Thai. There are a couple other languages options other than Thai and English but I'm not sure what they are. I think one may be Korean.

If you open Google Play (or whatever App store I suppose) and enter TPK Technology it should be the first hit.

I see there are 2 versions for some reason. I just d/l'd the 2nd version (the icon has 4 mini icons pictured) and am trying it. It is defaulted to Thai (left side icon) and English (right side icon) with the microphone "Press to Talk" button in the middle. (See pic below. In that pic, the English language is picked for input. The output is in Thai. It also types the word/sentence/phrase in both languages. I find that helpful as some people can read that and get the gist of what you are saying when the "spoken" part doesn't seem to come out right.

This second version has other language options but again, everything is in Thai. However it seems to work pretty quickly and seems accurate (for normal things like "What time is it" "Where shall we meet" "Are we going tomorrow" and so on).

120414436_10158569277994220_5690609036347670828_o.thumb.jpg.ac7c8073894187ae5ee5c5244102b2c9.jpg

A cheap, fairly decent option. Especially for casual conversations where you are not in a rush. Just remember, press the microphone icon, speak slowly and clearly, then press the microphone icon again.

It's pretty easy once you get used to it. If you find a problem with a certain sentence, try speaking just the word that is causing the problem. See if it translates properly, then try it again and whoever you are talking to should be able to piece it together.

(Or you may wake up in the morning with a sore bum and wonder where the pork sausage you wanted to buy has disappeared to !)

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Toany said:

The Thai language is very difficult to translate even for bilingual Thais.  Any program is going to struggle.  Google translate often come out with Gibberish

Agreed. Many people think that machine translators is as good as professional human translators which is a misconception.

It's good for simple Thai and simple English such as 'I want to go to', 'turn left', 'how much is this' etc

but not higher intermediate or advanced Thai or even informal words.

Edited by EricTh
  • Haha 1

55555  indeed !

So much has to do with how you phrase your sentence. I probably should have said "ThaiVisa is a great forum, is it not ?" and that might have come out better.

Friend of mine is making some t-shirts and he translated Pattaya Trip 2020 into English, which came out "Trip Pattaya 2020" because of course, in Thai (like many other languages) they put the "cart before the horse" so the order of the words comes out wrong in English.

Like how in Thai you'd say "nam sohm" (water orange) but in English you say "orange juice".

That is an issue I have quite often when using Google Translate to go from English to Thai. I end up rewriting the English words/sentences, checking the (usually 2) Thai translations offered, then either selecting one of those or going back and rewriting the English part again until I get something resembling what I'm aiming for. Then I'll copy the Thai translation and insert it into the Google Translate (Thai to English) I have open in a 2nd window and see what it comes out like.

Which, often as not, is not the same for some reason as what it said in the other window. Then I have to go back and rewrite the English bit again, trying different words or phrasing the sentence differently (like I mentioned at the top).

Tonal languages are difficult enough and then you have English which not only borrows heavily from other languages, but breaks it's own rules almost as often as it follows them. Makes life difficult for anyone trying to make a decent translation device I'd say.
(Or, "I would say that might make life difficult for those trying to create an effective device for translating foreign languages.")

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/27/2020 at 3:27 PM, Kwasaki said:

I have a written and spoken language translater download on my mobile phone my Mrs said it translates Thai from English very good. 

I

well what is it .. ? 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2020 at 5:47 PM, Mavideol said:

yes, very similar to Chinese/Japanese.....

I lived in S Korea for some time. Spoken language is not tonal and not too difficult to learn for westerners. Written Korean is another matter, very difficult. 

1 hour ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

you saw it on the show, it translate parts

check google translate... english to thai is ok

thai to whatever language = GARBAGE nonsense

90days, good fun, full of narcissists and crazy americans overweight, old, thinking some young whatever loves them ...

Bender--You saw in one of the shows it translating Thai to English ???????????????????

can you gives us a link....because the only one I saw was the Korean episode

Thanks

4 hours ago, ifmu said:

well what is it .. ? 

I have explained already, I went on Google Search on my mobile phone  for translator English to Thai.

There were a few this one was the best as far as I know. 

When sending to my home screen it just says free Thai/English translator with a Thai flag and an UK flag. 

1 minute ago, Kwasaki said:

I have explained already, I went on Google Search on my mobile phone  for translator English to Thai.

There were a few this one was the best as far as I know. 

When sending to my home screen it just says free Thai/English translator with a Thai flag and an UK flag. 

I brought one...Translator, I am finding it great and far exceeds any phone add-ons (I have IPhone and android ) or comp, that I have tried using. At the moment I am snowed under with work stuff for Oz but will write a review soon as poss.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RichCor said:

...maybe you can find the exact one by clicking on this search link of the google play store, then tell us

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=free thai english translator&c=apps

OK I'll try but as I explained to Kan win I'm not very understanding of how to use mobiles.

I did a Google Search if I can do it don't see see why other can't. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I brought one...Translator, I am finding it great and far exceeds any phone add-ons (I have IPhone and android ) or comp, that I have tried using. At the moment I am snowed under with work stuff for Oz but will write a review soon as poss.

Well my phone is an android and mine translator app I thing it's called works great for me, don't want a pay.  

• Thanks 1