Swiss voters clearly reject curbs on EU immigration

webfact

Rather surprised by the numbers in the results.

Don't think there will be a vote on Immigration in the U.K., once it finally left the E.U. in 2021.

However it will be interesting to see, if the U.K. government, in 2021, will come with concrete plans in this matter.

Something I assume, Hard Brexiters, and others, expect.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Voters also blocked an attempt to make it easier to shoot wolves deemed a threat to livestock.

Reminds me of a story back in the 90’s, when wildlife conservation groups were trying to re-introduce the lynx (bobcat) back into the wild in the Jura region of Switzerland and France. They had been negotiating about it with the government and the farmers for years already, and the sheep and goat farmers and shepherds in particular would have nothing of it, claiming the lynx would kill many of their animals. 
Then one day the wildlife conservation groups drop a bombshell and announce they have already re-introduced several lynx back into the wild a few years before and the animals are thriving. When asked if they had lost an unexpected number of animals to predators over the last couple of years, the farmers and shepherds had to admit that this hadn’t been the case.

I will leave it up to you to figure out the analogies between this story and the OP. 

Utter horse-<deleted>, Swiss is central Europe, having the ability for Swiss to work outside of its borders, and likewise border region people to work inside Swiss borders, is part and parcel of its success, the Country thrives on Italians, German's, French, etc, I myself have a home there, and I myself work from home when there, If it were to just be short-term 'touristy' focused, and red-tape for non Swiss to work/live there it would collapse the economy within a year, real-estate and commerce in one.

You only have to look at City Airport (London) packed every morning, with Lawyers, Financiers, Bankers heading to Swiss for their work, then returning home in the evening, or within a few days, same could be said in Paris, and Berlin.

Even Brexit won't affect that movement, a deal to continue this has already passed

1 hour ago, pegman said:

If you admire racists I suppose. Funny how the Brits sent their own all over the globe and that seems fine with them. The world reciprocates and it's somehow a problem. Again, good on the Swiss. It has a huge immigrant population but is at the top for medium wealth. 

Powell was a realist, not a racist and he was only warning about 50k coming into the UK every year, if only that were still true!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Powell was a realist, not a racist and he was only warning about 50k coming into the UK every year, if only that were still true!

nothing Powell spoke about has happened.

Why is is that racists spend so much time denying what they say is racist.

They'll be saying "some of my best friends are...." next or 

"My wife is coloured" so that makes me not racist...

they see the world in cliches.

Basically they're just ignorant and frightened.

Most of the Swiss on the other hand recognise the benefits of immigration and the EU.

Edited by Airbagwill

10 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Well done Switzerland, always good to see a country reject notions based in prejudice. 

9 hours ago, Airbagwill said:

QED - This thread is about the Swiss referendum but it has thrown up some of the most stupid posts of the year.

9 hours ago, pegman said:

Well done Swiss. You are one of the wealthiest of country's and you will continue to be so. UK not so much.

Indeed.

Maybe this is one of the growing number of lights at the end of the tunnel. The vile spread of populism, rooted in fear, hatred, envy, xenophobia, and ignorance, could be beginning to run out of steam. It has done enough damage to decent civilised values in our world already. 

The Swiss are generally intelligent people, who are fairly well informed. I know the country well as I have 7 cousins there. They are well aware that immigrants are doing jobs that they might not wish to do themselves, but are important for the smooth running of the country all the same. 

Critically they know the huge benefit that they derive from open EU trade. If only some other countries were half a bright. 

• Like 1

The best (the worst) is yet to come. The current "Rahmenvertrag" with the EU will not be accepted by the Swiss Voters. Too many infringements concerning souvereighnity of Switzerland. Will have to be re-negotiated with the EU.

Swtzerland is not anti-foreighners. But with a 24% quote of "foreighners" the upper limit has been reached.

If the re-negotiations with the EU should fail, many Swiss-Voters will surely take an increased interest in how the "Brexit" unfolds.

Especially if the "Brexit" will not catapult the UK back into some sort of economical Stone-Age. We shall see, but the "Swissies" are closely watching the historical event that is called "Brexit".

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Indeed.

Maybe this is one of the growing number of lights at the end of the tunnel. The vile spread of populism, rooted in fear, hatred, envy, xenophobia, and ignorance, could be beginning to run out of steam. It has done enough damage to decent civilised values in our world already. 

The Swiss are generally intelligent people, who are fairly well informed. I know the country well as I have 7 cousins there. They are well aware that immigrants are doing jobs that they might not wish to do themselves, but are important for the smooth running of the country all the same. 

Critically they know the huge benefit that they derive from open EU trade. If only some other countries were half a bright. 

Ah out the woodwork they come again ! Taking control of your country's laws,trading freedom and who enters a country is deemed ' xenophobia fear hatred and envy ' ! This is what those who never accept a decision they don't agree resort ! Nauseating 

• Like 2