Chatchart rules out abandoning run for Bangkok governor

webfact

Chatchart rules out abandoning run for Bangkok governor

By THE NATION

800_4a85a4e2ef27366.jpeg?v=1601432021

Former transport minister and ex-Pheu Thai executive Chatchart Sitthiphan has ruled out returning to his former political party or giving up his bid for Bangkok governor.

In a Facebook post on Tuesday, Chatchart said: “The rumours that I will go back to work with Pheu Thai, or give up my candidacy for Bangkok governor to make way for another candidate, are not true.”

Chatchart had quit the party to run as an independent candidate in the Bangkok gubernatorial election as current governor Aswin Kwanmuang’s term expires in October, although the new election date is yet to be announced.

“I am still working as an independent candidate and have been discussing with local communities to address their problems. My latest visit was to the Prawet district,” he added.

120173645_3524363447624482_6221372308373

Chatchart served as transport minister in the Yingluck Shinawatra government and was also an assistant dean of Chulalongkorn University.

Last week many top Pheu Thai executives, including party leader Sompong Amornwiwat, stepped down from their executive positions. Their move bred speculation among some observers of a secret political deal to facilitate the return of former prime ministers Thaksin Shinawatra and Yingluck Shinawatra who are living abroad in exile.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30395358

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-09-30