How has Thailand avoided the worst of Covid-19? – VIDEO

webfact

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats incredible... 

From what I can understand of the paper, it outlines how the 'risk genes’ may have evolved out of East Asians through selection.

Whats also striking is how this ‘risk gene’ (the genetic variants associated with sever Covid-19) are more prevalent in those originating from the Indian Subcontinent yet absent in those from Africa and Amazonia (brazil Covid-19 stats high because of recent the European influence) 

The risk gene is also prevalent in those of the Papua region - it will be interesting to see how this theory plays out there (if accurate data collection is possible).

Or rather that East Asian people don’t carry the Neanderthal gene because their ancestors didn’t include Neanderthals. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The reasons for this could be numerous:

- Those at high risk are now better protected

- Herd immunity is in place

- Increased testing of asymptomatic general public

Only #1 would explain the observation (fairly large increase in daily cases, without much increase in daily deaths). #2 would imply low daily cases (assuming immunity prevents infection). & since symptomatic patients are more likely to be +ve, broadening the scope of testing of asymptomatics would tend to decrease the positive test rate.

(Effects from #2 and #3 could in theory be swamped by ramping up the rate of testing. But the maximum multiplier would be the change in the rate of testing; in the countries with second waves I've looked at, rates of infection have increased 10-100 fold from inter-wave trough to recent peak, while testing increased 2-5 times. So in those places, ramping up testing alone can't explain the second wave of cases, as some have claimed.)

I think the reasons for fairly large increase in daily cases, without much increase in daily deaths are:

- most vulnerable populations are being better protected, as suggested above

- the least vulnerable populations are being careless or have been put at risk (eg through school openings), => many infections but few deaths

- treatment protocols have improved (even dexamethasone reduces the death rate by 1/3)

- healthcare systems are remaining within capacity.

Edited by onebir
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The difference here, Yinn, is that I’ve explained my thought process whereas you have become defensive - its not always ‘Thailand bad the West good’ - look for more in peoples discussion without getting defensive and failing to see the forest for the trees. 

you have become defensive. 

The op video explain why thailand control covid. Positive story. You hate it. 

You talk about thailand not control covid, 30,000 secret dead and nearly every loon conspiracy theory. 

New one about the Neanderthal. 

you want to believe thailand bad west good up to you. 

Congratulations, good job. 

IMo the reason UK the most in Europe because people not listen to doctor/science. Listen to conspiracy loons.

Yinn

Ranong.

8,645 test. = 0 positive = 0 death. 

And the UK testing you say? 

False. Your dream.

We’ve been asked by readers whether it was government policy on 19 March to send hospital patients back into care homes, without making it mandatory for them to be tested for Covid-19.

This is correct. There was no requirement to test all patients being discharged from hospital into a care home until 15 April 2020, though some trusts were testing patients before that date.

https://fullfact.org/health/coronavirus-care-homes-discharge/

So if you believe YOUR conspiracy theory= UK have more deaths than report. 

Sick old people with covid symptom, uk NOT test and send to elderly homes. Stupid.

The chart here shows excess mortality during the pandemic for all ages using the P-score.6 You can see that some countries – such as England & Wales7 and Spain – suffered high levels of excess mortality, while others – such as Germany and Norway – experienced much more modest increases in mortality

link 

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

Hmmmm 

Edited by Yinn
  • Like 1
  • Confused 3

I said it before and i will tell it again . I am from a country heavily hit , Belgium . I know multiple people who have died ( including family members ) and many more who were infected and we certainly know down here . Thailand so far has been off the hook , just because you know . When enough people get sick , you know , hospitals full , family members dying of lung disease .... you do not have to test in those cases , it is there and you know it . Testing is nice and helpful when it isnt in full swing , just to keep it out or under control . Then you can see the people who do not have anything or are lying about it ( knowing or unknowing ) who are infecting others , who do seem to be more vulnerable to it .

If Thailand did have a big wave , people should known about it , because hospitals would be full , and just because that didnt happen tells me , that because 1 reason or another , it didn't happen . Maybe many were infected but because of genetics they werent sick , maybe the sun , temp , food , ... had something to do with it ...

• Like 2

Tow doctors come out of the operating room. The mother of the patient anxiously asks, "how did it go?"  The doctors' answer "well, the operation was successful but the patient died". 

Thailand got to 0 Covit19, but just about devastated its entire economy and tourist sector has gone to 0.   In economics 101 its always a trade off, "guns vs. butter".  Yes, you can eliminate something or create something or build something etc.. but the question is always at what cost!  That's what Thailand did, it got to 0 infections but all just about killed its economy, for now... while putting many millions out of work and soo much other misery, mostly for the poor or average citizens.

Edited by thaistocks
typo
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, offset said:

Please tell me where testing has helped the USA or the UK to stop infections, is testing just a waste of money and to make the politicians look good

Absolutely.

Testing can give scope for exaggerating data (for what reasons; that's a whole new ball of wax). The most common test in the western world, picks up all sorts of broken viruses and DNA. It has a terrible record of inaccuracy. It's manufactures stress that it unsuitable in many cases. The main case being that wholesale testing of normal people will yield a result that can be up to 97% unreliable. They go on to stress that the test is most effective, and reliable, when it is testing someone who has corona type symptoms.

It has helped the politicians create fear, and has led to draconian measures to fight a non-existent enemy.

Thailand did well because of lack of action; and the weather helped also.

5 hours ago, Yinn said:

you have become defensive. 

The op video explain why thailand control covid. Positive story. You hate it. 

You talk about thailand not control covid, 30,000 secret dead and nearly every loon conspiracy theory. 

New one about the Neanderthal. 

you want to believe thailand bad west good up to you. 

Congratulations, good job. 

IMo the reason UK the most in Europe because people not listen to doctor/science. Listen to conspiracy loons.

Yinn

Ranong.

8,645 test. = 0 positive = 0 death. 

And the UK testing you say? 

False. Your dream.

We’ve been asked by readers whether it was government policy on 19 March to send hospital patients back into care homes, without making it mandatory for them to be tested for Covid-19.

This is correct. There was no requirement to test all patients being discharged from hospital into a care home until 15 April 2020, though some trusts were testing patients before that date.

https://fullfact.org/health/coronavirus-care-homes-discharge/

So if you believe YOUR conspiracy theory= UK have more deaths than report. 

Sick old people with covid symptom, uk NOT test and send to elderly homes. Stupid.

The chart here shows excess mortality during the pandemic for all ages using the P-score.6 You can see that some countries – such as England & Wales7 and Spain – suffered high levels of excess mortality, while others – such as Germany and Norway – experienced much more modest increases in mortality

link 

https://ourworldindata.org/excess-mortality-covid

Hmmmm 

In your hurry to defend ‘all things Thai’ its clear you failed to comprehend the vast majority of the points made, even as far as the point I made very clearly ‘its not Thailand bad west good’.

I also highlighted that my points are not a criticism of Thailand, but how I believe the Virus may have already passed through Thailand unnoticed earlier on and included the possibility of a genetic advantage.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

it's free for all

it is called: SUN & humidity

airco =  dry cold air

heater in europe =  dry hot air

both are bad for health

humid air + UV sun kills most / many virus

Debunked a while ago... 

Thailand: hot, sunny & humid - low reported Covid-19 numbers

Brazil: hot, sunny & humid - high reported Covid-19 numbers

India: hot, sunny & humid - high reported Covid-19 numbers

Thailand = good. Other countries = bad (Yinn will be proud of me).

--------

It must be solely down to Thailands expertise in handling the emergency and how all Thai’ immediately responded to lockdown, wearing masks and of course the ‘wai’...  

Thailand was uniquely positioned through social responsibility and cultural behaviour to avoid this disaster.... 

(Yes - strong elements of sarcasm) 

If someone believe's Thailands ‘reported’ numbers are low because of facemasks and a Wai they simple minded.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, androokery said:

Extremely interesting article in Nature by well respected authors:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-2818-3_reference.pdf

The fact that Thailand doesn’t have a high death rate may actually be linked to DNA and Neanderthals. 

Yinn  has some valid points.   But I believe  it is genetic plus mask wearing is normal in Thailand and many Asian countries.   Thai are brainwashed to do as they are told.  Good or bad this is the truth.  

Thai live in such dirty conditions and are exposed to many more germs in their  daily lives.  Just look at the flies in the markets, drying fish, the un-refrigerated foods sold everywhere. And  no wonder Thais take off shoes at the door the sidewalks  and streets are disgustingly dirty.  I could eat off the sidewalk in front of my house.    I  had fever, runny nose, sore muscles, funny feeling  mostly dry, bad cough jan 2-7. My thai Gf lived in the same small BKK  condo each night until Jan 20 and never got sick.   So its a fact thai people have immunity  from flu like sickness.   

Last point is Western countries keep old people alive where I am going to presume that many of Thailand's elderly have already  died plus not many old people in old folk home group  settings  like the West which are disgusting if anyone with a nose has entered them. 

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 2

On 9/30/2020 at 11:14 PM, richard_smith237 said:

I don’t recall ’nearly everyone' were wearing masks in Bangkok in Mid Feb - in fact hardly anyone was. 

We can choose to recall what we want. I have been using the BTS since it was built and I cannot ever recall not seeing a significant percentage of the passengers wearing masks.

I don't know if you have ever been on the Bangkok - PB train. it leaves in the afternoon and the beds are made up about 7pm, once the beds are made people get behind their curtains and up to them what they do. If you want to believe that when people were outside the curtains they were not wearing masks that is up to you.

At no time did I ever say masks were a single issue as you tried very hard to make out. All a bit academic as the facts speak for themselves.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 5:33 AM, scammed said:

he brought up dead bodies on the streets in a topic about covid,

i pointed out that the cause of the dead bodies on the streets

are traffic accidents

Your words

"no nation has dead bodies in the streets from covid,

but thailand do have a fair share of dead bodies from the traffic here, and its not those dying of age either, but young people"

Fairly obvious what you meant.