Foreign English language teachers arrested in 27 million baht mask scam

webfact

19 minutes ago, ezzra said:

so 27 millions and they still live in this s**thole? and didn't run away with the loot and all that time waiting for the police to come? put them in prison just for being that stupid...

The last thing I would do if I was stealing money through fraud is advertise my wealth by buying/renting flash throngs is: home, car etc. 
As for running with the loot huge amounts of cash, for free I might add, tends to skew someone’s ability to cut and run, especially if they were poverty stricken in the first place. At least their families are extremely well taken care of back home (if it was their idea and they weren’t just pawns for someone bigger)

Sophisticated scam just not sophisticated enough to get away with it (although someone has the cash)

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

"You got to know when to hold them, know when to fold them, know when to walk away, know when to run". But most sit at the table because greed won't let them quit.

Is this the sum total of your experience in committing fraudulent experience, or did you just feel a burning need to type out an irrelavent cliche? 

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

Channel 3 reported that two foreign language teachers took advantage of the Covid-19 situation and the closure of their schools to set up a lucrative scam to sell surgical face masks. 

What happened to the minister that was selling masks as a side line?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

The last thing I would do if I was stealing money through fraud is advertise my wealth by buying/renting flash throngs is: home, car etc. 
As for running with the loot huge amounts of cash, for free I might add, tends to skew someone’s ability to cut and run, especially if they were poverty stricken in the first place. At least their families are extremely well taken care of back home (if it was their idea and they weren’t just pawns for someone bigger)

Sophisticated scam just not sophisticated enough to get away with it (although someone has the cash)

Not that easy to leave the country with 27 million .   

• Like 2

14 hours ago, webfact said:

They were in Thailand supposed to be teaching, presumably English, at their schools but after they shut they saw an opportunity. 

14 hours ago, webfact said:

They pretended to be reps for a big mask making firm. They set up a fake website complete with logos stolen from elsewhere and forged documents to gain

Really talented (with criminal background in home county?), perhaps they were looking for an opportunity while teaching English. 

Edited by The Theory