Pay Traffic Ticket

richsilver

Over the past couple of years I’ve been of the ‘don’t pay it’ mentality.... 

This was for ‘Expressway speeding tickets' or ‘crossing the white line’ when merging into traffic. 

The fines were sent to my Wife’s parents address in Bangkok. I’m not sure why, my Wife has the Blue Tabien baan for our house, her ID is registered at our house and her DL registered at our house. 

Two letters threatening legal action against my Wife have also been sent to my Wife’s parents address. 

The letter was specific to one of the fines, not all of them. 

We still haven’t paid the fines 6 months later - nothing more has happened. 

We may find out next time our tax payment is due. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Haha 1

Once they stopped us (my gf & me) for speeding that placed some Kms earlier. 
they took her license and told her to go to Police container station, pay and pick up your license. The station was a few Km after the stop point. We went there and she paid 500 and got her license back. I saw 3 officers behind PCs. Not sure but possible that they checked her record for previous violation as well. 

4 minutes ago, The Theory said:

they took her license and told her to go to Police container station, pay and pick up your license. The station was a few Km after the stop point. We went there and she paid 500 and got her license back. I saw 3 officers behind PCs. Not sure but possible that they checked her record for previous violation as well. 

did they give her a receipt ?

As others have already said, Krung Thai bank is the easiest place to pay any traffic tickets. You can pay at any branch, regardless of where the ticket was issued. Plus there's no surcharge or processing fee.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Theory said:

When did this happen?    I'm curious if before or after Oct 2019 when they were not supposed to keep licenses anymore.

On 10/4/2020 at 2:22 AM, johnbarpic said:

Some great advice from those that forget you are a guest, visitor, not citizen, not resident. You can run but you cannot hide follow the rules in any country and you will enjoy a great experience....Only my opinion & who am I ????????‍♂️

Ps...Also some great advice with those with the brains the size of a pea ???? 

Agree entirely, people suggesting you screw the fine notice up and chuck it in the bin are potentially kicking a problem, down the road. Best to deal with problems quickly and get them resolved i.e. pay it and get on with your life.

What happens if at some point they system becomes computerised and they look back at this sort of thing and take it in to consideration when a foreigner is extending a visa, applying for permanent residency, applying for a job etc.

And it's not like traffic fines in Thailand are a lot of money.

• Haha 1

Took Wife,Her sister, her mother and her friend to a cosmetic Dr. 1-1/2 hr

drive each way from our village. Stopped at a rural brand market. Motorcycles parked in front. Just in front of MC I pulled over out of the

way of traffic.. 

Went in market to get drinks fir the ride 5 minutes max. Walk out a policeman was standing by our car and said locked... I’m like locked?

Do you want me to unlock the car? 

Then he motioned me to come sround the otherside our car had a wheel

lock... he didn’t speak English but the ladies go around the corner and pay at statiion. He took the wheel lock off and it was fairy loud clanging. 

I asked all the ladies .. you didn’t hear all the noise? No we were talking...

figured that talking all at one time..

Me and the wife go to ATM in our rural town parked not far away and out

of Street, Told her if the policeman comes by tell him at the ATM and let

me know so not to get a ticket. She in front passenger side window down 

playing game on phone.. I come back at ticket under the windshield....

uhh huh one of those

• Confused 1

On 10/3/2020 at 8:30 AM, Bender Rodriguez said:

if you don't pay, will they take:   your car ? your licence ? your .... ?

Ive been living on-off in LOS since 2008   First time I got stopped on mbike they took my US license, as they usually do. So that they hold it hostage until you pay..was 200 back then...So I got the 200 and only the 200 in my pocket, so not see my other money...went to police station by ping river in Cm and walked to the cop...he was sitting...he says--200..I give him the 200, he stuffs it in his shirt pocket and extends his hand again asking for MORE. I didnt know what to do or say(newbie). Guess he was trying to see what he could get(welcome to LOS) and I eventually got my license back after another cop gave it to me...

So, I learned a lesson about how things work in LOS that day. I took my returned license to the copy shop and got 20 copies, 10 baht, cut the license copies up and stacked them in my drawer, kept one in my pocket. So next mbike scam I was ready. Cop asks and I produce the COPY..he says NO..Real License!  I say it is real..a real copy..all the info is the same!...He get angry...I hold strong and play stupid farang..I argue that i dont want to LOSE my real license and have it fall out of pocket, so its in my room--safe and sound...

This has happened many times as Im sure they have many copies now, as most times I would convince them I'll go get it and bring it back, this also applies to my ATM card, both of which are in a secret pocket in my shorts as I talk with the cops..I have my copy one set up under the seat of my mbike--like a ninja!

Sometime I will simply talk them tired and they give up and let me go--just play dumb and keep talking, other times I say nobody told me, or that I have 30 days to apply for a thai license or that it is my gf's mbike and I am going to pick her up from work--I have many excuses to keep buying my time...

Also I Never have put any of my mbikes in MY name....always still in the thais name I bought it from so I can say its my thai friends bike, with they are less likely to try and hold the bike or keys until paid $$$$.

Yes Im aware my mbike taxes arent paid, as the cops that wanted 500 for my old sticker, which I know have mastered changing the dates on the stickers and putting in a plastic frame to throw them off too.

So if the cops wanna scam and hustle me then turnaround is fair game in my book---same same right?

I did finally get a International "license" from home last year before returning and oddly it has worked like a charm, even though My real license is good for car and mbike, as Ive been driving mbikes since a teen.

I did get stopped early this year for no helmet and the price has jumped from 200 to 500--I paid 300

I suppose once the thai cops start being honest to me then maybe I will do the same--welcome to LOS!

4 hours ago, mstevens said:

Agree entirely, people suggesting you screw the fine notice up and chuck it in the bin are potentially kicking a problem, down the road. Best to deal with problems quickly and get them resolved i.e. pay it and get on with your life.

What happens if at some point they system becomes computerised and they look back at this sort of thing and take it in to consideration when a foreigner is extending a visa, applying for permanent residency, applying for a job etc.

There will be a ticket amnesty!

3 hours ago, ChakaKhan said:

Ive been living on-off in LOS since 2008   First time I got stopped on mbike they took my US license, as they usually do. So that they hold it hostage until you pay..was 200 back then...So I got the 200 and only the 200 in my pocket, so not see my other money...went to police station by ping river in Cm and walked to the cop...he was sitting...he says--200..I give him the 200, he stuffs it in his shirt pocket and extends his hand again asking for MORE. I didnt know what to do or say(newbie). Guess he was trying to see what he could get(welcome to LOS) and I eventually got my license back after another cop gave it to me...

So, I learned a lesson about how things work in LOS that day. I took my returned license to the copy shop and got 20 copies, 10 baht, cut the license copies up and stacked them in my drawer, kept one in my pocket. So next mbike scam I was ready. Cop asks and I produce the COPY..he says NO..Real License!  I say it is real..a real copy..all the info is the same!...He get angry...I hold strong and play stupid farang..I argue that i dont want to LOSE my real license and have it fall out of pocket, so its in my room--safe and sound...

This has happened many times as Im sure they have many copies now, as most times I would convince them I'll go get it and bring it back, this also applies to my ATM card, both of which are in a secret pocket in my shorts as I talk with the cops..I have my copy one set up under the seat of my mbike--like a ninja!

Sometime I will simply talk them tired and they give up and let me go--just play dumb and keep talking, other times I say nobody told me, or that I have 30 days to apply for a thai license or that it is my gf's mbike and I am going to pick her up from work--I have many excuses to keep buying my time...

Also I Never have put any of my mbikes in MY name....always still in the thais name I bought it from so I can say its my thai friends bike, with they are less likely to try and hold the bike or keys until paid $$$$.

Yes Im aware my mbike taxes arent paid, as the cops that wanted 500 for my old sticker, which I know have mastered changing the dates on the stickers and putting in a plastic frame to throw them off too.

So if the cops wanna scam and hustle me then turnaround is fair game in my book---same same right?

I did finally get a International "license" from home last year before returning and oddly it has worked like a charm, even though My real license is good for car and mbike, as Ive been driving mbikes since a teen.

I did get stopped early this year for no helmet and the price has jumped from 200 to 500--I paid 300

I suppose once the thai cops start being honest to me then maybe I will do the same--welcome to LOS!

Are you a James Bond wannabe?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I've seen a policeman take the keys, I recommend if pulled over take the keys out

Yes, in the absence of a licence, but I thought all that was a thing of the past wrt regular tickets. (Being unfit to drive is another thing). My Mrs had her keys taken once and got a motorcycle taxi home, came back with the spares, and drove her bike off. Was always nervous previously about getting my licence back. Sometimes you got it at the station, others you had to ride back to the checkpoint, hopefully be able to find a/the policeman and show him a receipt and he would be sorting through a great pile of them.

On 10/3/2020 at 6:20 PM, OneeyedJohn said:

Don't pay it.

Waste of money even if they have you on camera.

I tried that, and when I tried to pay my registration I first had to pay the outstanding ticket at the Pattaya police station. They have your rego number.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, mstevens said:

They have been computerized for years. They link the outstanding ticket to your registration payment.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I tried that, and when I tried to pay my registration I first had to pay the outstanding ticket at the Pattaya police station. They have your rego number.

Yep it really is a thing although many posting in this thread say otherwise.

Person whom purchased my old car for what ever reasons did not transfer the book to his name so the speeding tickets still came to my address, he called me a while back saying he could not pay the road tax due to outstanding fines.... he was <deleted> when I told him there has been a few arrive but I threw them in the bin.

Not sure how he got it sorted but never heard from him again and there has been no speeding tickets since.

4 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Yep it really is a thing although many posting in this thread say otherwise.

Person whom purchased my old car for what ever reasons did not transfer the book to his name so the speeding tickets still came to my address, he called me a while back saying he could not pay the road tax due to outstanding fines.... he was <deleted> when I told him there has been a few arrive but I threw them in the bin.

Not sure how he got it sorted but never heard from him again and there has been no speeding tickets since.

Funny thing is this happened to me about 5 years ago, yet the report says they just introduced the procedure as of late last year.

• Haha 1

• 2 years later...

If you have received a traffic ticket and are found guilty or do not wish to dispute the ticket, it is important to pay the fine promptly to avoid any further penalties or legal issues. Paying a traffic ticket is typically a straightforward process and can be done either online, by mail, or in-person at a designated payment center. It is important to follow the payment instructions carefully and ensure that the correct amount is paid on time. Failure to pay the fine or to pay it on time can result in additional fines, license suspension, or even arrest. Overall, paying a traffic ticket promptly and correctly is an important part of being a responsible driver and upholding the law.