My Gf Wants A Dog Help.

Ok,

My Fiance wants a dog real bad. I say we should get a cat but she just doesn't like them and she says she will not live with them. We live in a one bedroom apartment that is quite large and has a nice little garden in the back.

I have a few concerns about getting a pet. Number one this is Thailand and I dont feel it is the most secure place. The last coup was non violent but maybe the next won't be and we need to vacate quick? Number two is we do have nieghbors and I don't want barking of any kind to annoy them.

What are the best small breeds that do not bark or are least prone to bark?

I spoke to Nov.rain and may be a foster "parent".

Thanks

PS. I hate fem dogs(like poodles and stuff but Chi Chis are ok)

Ok,

My Fiance wants a dog real bad. I say we should get a cat but she just doesn't like them and she says she will not live with them. We live in a one bedroom apartment that is quite large and has a nice little garden in the back.

I have a few concerns about getting a pet. Number one this is Thailand and I dont feel it is the most secure place. The last coup was non violent but maybe the next won't be and we need to vacate quick? Number two is we do have nieghbors and I don't want barking of any kind to annoy them.

What are the best small breeds that do not bark or are least prone to bark?

I spoke to Nov.rain and may be a foster "parent".

Thanks

PS. I hate fem dogs(like poodles and stuff but Chi Chis are ok)

Hi there,

'What's the best K9' is question only you and your wife can answer. What's the best K9 for me? That's the boxer, since i'm hooked on this breed since my late boxer, Lucky (see avatar). Nevertheless, I also love my 2 GSD's and rottweiler to pieces, and my late Afghans, plus most of my boarding dogs (Husky's, Thai mixes and other mixes, Ban keaw, poodles, Shih Tsu's, terriers, etc. etc. Just today a Steffie went home, an adorable dog!)

I think you should consider what you like? Long hair like Shih Tsu's, the more wooly type such as the pomeranian, smooth-haired, curly coat (curly coat, like the poodle's, normally don't give you the problem with hair everywhere). Do you like the flat nose, a long nose. Personally I love the pug. Nice temperament. Or a more sturdy dog, such as the Jack Russel Terrier?

It can also be that when you go to the shelter you fall in love with a dog there, or as you said, foster a dog. That is a wonderful thing to do. And then end up keeping it :o

Concerning the shaky shaky from some small breed dogs and the barking. That's a matter of how you raise your dog. Sure, there are breeds specially bred for there barking, such as most of the terrier breeds, but still you can educate your dog not to bark at everything and nothing when you start straight from the moment it enters your house.

I suggest you do first some research before getting a dog.

Nienke

(like poodles and stuff but Chi Chis are ok)

I have never known a Chi' that didn't bark excessively.

And if you trained it out of it? Well, it just wouldn;t be the same dog anyway.

Good Luck

Moss

I've met some. But once the barking got triggered, then it was hard to stop. That was when one Chi saw a cow for the first time in her life on only a metr or 5 away from her at the other side of the fence. And yeh, who wouldn't freak out. Man, THAT's a size difference! :o

Be warned - if you get a Boxer don't leave it alone in your flat. It will get bored and eat the place :D

Not necessarily. I know several people (mainly abroad) who have boxers in their appartments. But these dogs get walks several times a day, they join in some sort of doggy sport, etc.

And my boxer never destroyed anything in the house, but then she had free choice to be in the house or in the garden where there were many other dogs to play with. Plus, when I got her it turned out she had distemper, which kept her fairly ill at times for months. She survived and lived another several years happily after.

Confirmed!!!

Gerd

:o:D:D

Be warned - if you get a Boxer don't leave it alone in your flat. It will get bored and eat the place :D

Not necessarily. I know several people (mainly abroad) who have boxers in their appartments. But these dogs get walks several times a day, they join in some sort of doggy sport, etc.

And my boxer never destroyed anything in the house, but then she had free choice to be in the house or in the garden where there were many other dogs to play with. Plus, when I got her it turned out she had distemper, which kept her fairly ill at times for months. She survived and lived another several years happily after.

Confirmed!!!

Gerd

:o:D:D

That's the point I was making. As long as a Boxer has something to do it will be ok. If it's left alone for more than a few hours it gets bored and destructive. One of mine ate the kitchen carpet because he was feeling a bit bored :D

• 3 weeks later...

Deciding on a dog to become a member of your family is based on so many things that are up to personal opinions, like Nienke said, that you really have to decide for yourself.

But you are smart to read about any breed you are considering. One thing that is important though, is that not all dogs of a certain breed act exactly the same way, and some things will depend on the lifestyle, training, socialization it receives from you.

When you have definite requirements that need to be met, like you in an apartment, so noise, hyper dogs, hair shedding, well some of those things can be decided by the breed. Like for apartment living, a nonshedding breed is very nice to have, and there are several of them to pick from. Barking can be determined somewhat by the breed, mostly you can find out which breeds are the worst, but any dog can become a problem barker if he is bored or left alone too much, based on his ability to handle that.

So, my very, very best advise, is to adopt an adult dog. You can know how it acts in a very short time, although some adopted dogs are shy and quiet at first, and then open up like a flower. You cannot tell much about a puppy, and some of his personality/problems will be determined by you. But if you get an adult dog, you can find one that you have a special feeling for, you can see what he is like in a short time, and chances are, you won't wreck him in the case that you don't know a lot about dogs, don't have enough time for a puppy, etc.

And if he doesn't work out for some odd reason, you can usually return them to the shelter, and try again. Also, people who work or live with the dog in the shelter can be very useful in pointing out dogs that will be good for your situation. They know already if the dog hates cats, can't get along with other dogs, hates men with deep voices, whatever.

I can tell you honestly that I have had many, many dogs, some as puppies and a lot of adopted ones. The ones I have adopted were also usually problem dogs, most with serious health problems, disabilities, and already seniors. Those dogs have historically been the ones I bonded with the most, and are still the loves of my life.

There was such a bigger pay-off to me (which doesn't exist when I raise a puppy for whatever wierd reason), in saving those dogs, giving them a good life, and seeing the old, usually very ugly, sick, screwed up dog become the most beautiful flower, loving, well-adjusted, happy, and like little angels in my life.

I would really try the foster method with November Rain as it will surely bring you much happiness.

Sorry, Toptrainer, have had a few problems. Will email you with info soon. :o

hi

i gather from mtw's and your's above that you have a shelter. i'm also considering getting a dog and would like to come look. perhaps you could pm or email me about whther and how i can do that.

for a number of reasons i want to take away a dog in a couple of months time, not immediately, but i wouldn't mind looking in before that, and give you too an idea of what would suit me. perhaps if i want a particular one very much you could look after it for me for a little while until i get back.

putting this here initially rather than on a pm seemed apt, because reading this thread persuaded me to adopt - and others may

Sorry, Toptrainer, have had a few problems. Will email you with info soon. :o

hi

i gather from mtw's and your's above that you have a shelter. i'm also considering getting a dog and would like to come look. perhaps you could pm or email me about whther and how i can do that.

for a number of reasons i want to take away a dog in a couple of months time, not immediately, but i wouldn't mind looking in before that, and give you too an idea of what would suit me. perhaps if i want a particular one very much you could look after it for me for a little while until i get back.

putting this here initially rather than on a pm seemed apt, because reading this thread persuaded me to adopt - and others may

Yes, I do. (Thanks MTW for pm'ing me & telling me that lotus eater might be interested :D ) Where are you, in Thailand? We're in Hua Hin. I have no problems with the dogs going elsewhere in Thailand, or overseas for that matter, but it can make it difficult to come & take the initial look. Adoption is easy. You choose the dog, with advice from us, if you need it (MTW is right, we do know the personalities of the dogs very well), you sign our adoption contract guaranteeing standards of care you will give (I can email that to you, so you can have a look, if you'd like). We have the option to visit up to 3 times in the first year to check how the dog's doing & that's it. If there is a change in your situation, or the dog is not suitable, you can return him to us.

Did you want an adult or a pup? Male or female? Age? Size? Temperament? For house or garden (where he will live)? Do you have children? Other dogs? Cats? Will you exercise him, or will he just roam freely in your garden? If you are interested, pm me with your requirements & circumstances & I'll let you know if we have a dog that meets them.

Toptrainer, have tried to pm you about 4 times, but the pm's aren't getting delivered. Are you still around? Still interested in a dog, or not? Thanks.