Should private health insurance be expected when teaching at private schools?

On 10/6/2020 at 6:12 PM, CM Dad said:

Thailand is a predominantly Buddhist country.  If you expect a long Christmas holiday then your only option is an international school.  Are you a qualified, experienced, licensed teacher?  If not, then forget being a teacher here.  Just go home. 

No, most EPs have Christmas holidays.

I just left one where I got 4 months holiday a year. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2020 at 6:12 PM, CM Dad said:

Are you a qualified, experienced, licensed teacher?  If not, then forget being a teacher here.  Just go home.

All Thailand asks of foreign teachers is a college degree in anything. Sure, that other stuff would be preferable, but most schools aren't going to get it with the salaries and working conditions they offer. Say what you will about what a foreign teacher "should be" in this country, like the op-ed rants on Ajarn, but there the situation is, which I don't see changing any time soon.

Most on this forum should know that most teaching in Thailand isn't at all serious, by Western standards. All students are passed regardless. Most classrooms are chaotic with about 5-6 students at the front really interested. As such, many foreign teachers have come to treat it as a working holiday. They play some games, sing some songs for a few hours a week, then use their pay to party on the weekends.

It's not a complete waste, however. At the very least, those few interested students are getting exposure and practice with the language they otherwise wouldn't get, especially out in the provinces. And despite the generally poor reputation us teachers have, I believe most are generally good natured, friendly people, serving as ambassadors from our respective countries. Many students are fascinated by us, stopping us outside of class, or when they bump into us around town, asking questions, wanting to try whatever few English words they know, or get some laughs out of practicing our Thai with them. Windows to the outside world. Teachers of all stripes are serving some kind of purpose here.

It's also a good visa option. I've met a number of retirees collecting a decent pension who just teach for fun. The salary is some extra money, and the Non-B is easier than all the retirement or marriage visa paperwork. They also believe they're doing good work for the kids. As long as the person isn't some wacko, I don't think there's any reason to keep anyone from considering teaching in Thailand, or sending anybody home.

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme

On 11/1/2020 at 7:40 PM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

All Thailand asks of foreign teachers is a college degree in anything. Sure, that other stuff would be preferable, but most schools aren't going to get it with the salaries and working conditions they offer. Say what you will about what a foreign teacher "should be" in this country, like the op-ed rants on Ajarn, but there the situation is, which I don't see changing any time soon.

Most on this forum should know that most teaching in Thailand isn't at all serious, by Western standards. All students are passed regardless. Most classrooms are chaotic with about 5-6 students at the front really interested. As such, many foreign teachers have come to treat it as a working holiday. They play some games, sing some songs for a few hours a week, then use their pay to party on the weekends.

It's not a complete waste, however. At the very least, those few interested students are getting exposure and practice with the language they otherwise wouldn't get, especially out in the provinces. And despite the generally poor reputation us teachers have, I believe most are generally good natured, friendly people, serving as ambassadors from our respective countries. Many students are fascinated by us, stopping us outside of class, or when they bump into us around town, asking questions, wanting to try whatever few English words they know, or get some laughs out of practicing our Thai with them. Windows to the outside world. Teachers of all stripes are serving some kind of purpose here.

It's also a good visa option. I've met a number of retirees collecting a decent pension who just teach for fun. The salary is some extra money, and the Non-B is easier than all the retirement or marriage visa paperwork. They also believe they're doing good work for the kids. As long as the person isn't some wacko, I don't think there's any reason to keep anyone from considering teaching in Thailand, or sending anybody home

The B visa is only easier if you don't have the 800k in a Thai Bank.  Been here seven years straight, and the only border bounce was to get nearly two years out of my O-A from Kalorama.  I have met exactly one teacher in 22 years, who simply gave his passport to school staff, and everything was done..and he was hired from abroad for an international school, to be Principal..and the pay still kind of sooked at 57k.  They also made it clear to him, that he would be leaving after two years, also.  Seen 100s of teachers in crisis at immigration offices over the years.  Fifteen years ago the visa run vans were full of them.

11 hours ago, Neeranam said:

How? Has there been a recent change to the requirements?

Private schools generally don't want to offer Social Security as they have to match the employee's contributions.

I worked at a private school for a few years. Social Security was not offered but they would do it if you asked. 

6 hours ago, moontang said:

The B visa is only easier if you don't have the 800k in a Thai Bank.  Been here seven years straight, and the only border bounce was to get nearly two years out of my O-A from Kalorama.  I have met exactly one teacher in 22 years, who simply gave his passport to school staff, and everything was done..and he was hired from abroad for an international school, to be Principal..and the pay still kind of sooked at 57k.  They also made it clear to him, that he would be leaving after two years, also.  Seen 100s of teachers in crisis at immigration offices over the years.  Fifteen years ago the visa run vans were full of them.

I worked at quite a few schools in 21 years of teaching. Only one of them would not provide everything needed to get an extension and work permit. 

The others did everything, although it was me that went to immigration and labour office, and all went smoothly. 

4 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

I worked at quite a few schools in 21 years of teaching. Only one of them would not provide everything needed to get an extension and work permit. 

The others did everything, although it was me that went to immigration and labour office, and all went smoothly. 

He didn't have to go anywhere. Almost all claim to give you the necessary documents, unless they have no intention of getting you legal, yet hours and hours are spent jumping through hoops.  Just about opposite of the way a reputable business would treat a professional.  Eye rolls from the IOs, a cough, and requests for more stamps and signatures, and you pay upfront, and may not get reimbursed until contract completion.  

5 minutes ago, moontang said:

He didn't have to go anywhere. Almost all claim to give you the necessary documents, unless they have no intention of getting you legal, yet hours and hours are spent jumping through hoops.  Just about opposite of the way a reputable business would treat a professional.  Eye rolls from the IOs, a cough, and requests for more stamps and signatures, and you pay upfront, and may not get reimbursed until contract completion.  

Nope. All went well. School paid at the time. No hoops to jump through. Schools did all the prep.

47 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

Nope. All went well. School paid at the time. No hoops to jump through. Schools did all the prep.

What were the limits on your health insurance?  Oh, and if you are American, did you pay the 15.3% employment tax (US, SS) owed, since you weren't paying into the Thai system, even though you were likely tens of thousands below owing US income tax?

Edited by moontang

1 hour ago, moontang said:

What were the limits on your health insurance?  Oh, and if you are American, did you pay the 15.3% employment tax (US, SS) owed, since you weren't paying into the Thai system, even though you were likely tens of thousands below owing US income tax?

I was enrolled into Thai social security. Covered for everything. Not American.

On 11/3/2020 at 5:11 PM, moontang said:

The B visa is only easier if you don't have the 800k in a Thai Bank.

I've been told by retiree Non-B teachers:

1) Don't want to keep the 800k locked up in a Thai bank.

2) Don't want to deal with the hassle of having the monthly foreign fund transfers being properly verified. I've seen the arguments at immigration with frustrated farangs pointing at their bank books or statements, then being sent back to their banks for more paperwork. Or they've been denied because the payments didn't fall within specific timeframes, or amounts (which fluctuate due to exchange rates), or even the proper encoding on the type of transfer, even though the money had indeed been transferred.

3) Marriage visas require ridiculous photos around the house, pointing at your wife, pointing at your address number, holding up documents. Then, scheduling home visits from officers, to take the photos all over again with them, you, and the missus, while you ply them with food, drinks, or gas money.

Non-B gets around all this. Being a teacher, even the lowest tier thesaban (municipal) schools out in the sticks have furnished myself and others with the proper stacks of docs for immigration and the labor office. It's in their interest, since they're getting a cut of your salary. Done once a year, gets easier for renewals, and the "teaching" depending on school could hardly be anything. I have heard of visa runs in vans, for dodgy language schools, in which the teachers may not have had complete docs, like degrees.

Agree about the monthly transfer hassles...  That is the hard way. Seems a lot of the fear mongering about the Thai banks, is from folks, who have never had that much savings, and never will.  Reality is, that if you brought it in a few hundred k at a time, and use a good account, it is a great place to keep some of your short term cash.  I would enjoy a part time, hourly gig, but that doesn't seem to fit in their "culcha."

On 11/4/2020 at 7:48 PM, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

3) Marriage visas require ridiculous photos around the house, pointing at your wife, pointing at your address number, holding up documents. Then, scheduling home visits from officers, to take the photos all over again with them, you, and the missus, while you ply them with food, drinks, or gas money.

Hardly a big deal taking a few photos. They never visited me when I was on a visa. If they had, they would have got nothing except maybe a glass of water from the tap.