Attempted Tourist Visa Extension at CM today

Today I went to CM immigration at Promenada Mall to get first hand experience on my options for extending a Tourist Visa which was extended once before in September (This has absolutely nothing to do with a covid/embassy letter). 

I met the greeter at the front door of the office and told him I was looking for my options of how to further extend my current extension which is dated for Oct. 26.  He took me directly to the woman to get a stamp of Nov. 30.  The lady reviewed my last stamp and called the greeter back.  The greeter then told me that I was, at this time, unable to extend further as they were still waiting for instructions of how to proceed.  He said the previous stamp I got had a note of 2.4 written on bottom righthand side which meant I couldnt extend, right now.  He could not tell me specifically what the 2.4 indicates.  He told me to come back on Oct. 26 to see my options.  I asked if there was a 60 day extension I could apply for but he said they were waiting for information still.

That's about all that was exchanged.  He was very nice and spoke good english.  I do worry about his comment of waiting until the 26th though. Hopefully information and procedures are understood prior to that.

Side note.. I arrived around 10:15 and there were maybe 20 people waiting for whatever they were there for.  Not too busy.

20201007_104822.jpg

2 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

I wonder why couldn't they revoke the old stamp and give you a new one, up to Nov 30?

I also got my tourist visa extension in Chiang Mai before Sep 26.

I'm not sure but hopefully the people of CM, and other locations, in the same situation will continue to go and get firsthand knowledge and answers, as best as they can be.  

4 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

It will be so so unfair if it turns out that we just lost our time and money extending our tourist visas because of their scaremongering before Sep 26. 

Yeah, it kinda sucks but I slept better at night knowing I didn't have to worry about post 9/26 and i don't lose sleep over 1900 baht out the window.  It would be nice to have it and spend it locally but that's just the way it happened this time.

Hopefully more information becomes clear sooner rather than later.

Edited by SAcanman
Typo

1 minute ago, Pib said:

Expect the 2.4 reference is para 2.4 of police order 327/2557 30 Jun 2557 (2014) which has been OBEd by recent events.

image.png.907b39a2aec6cd075f4591fcf9f827d9.png

Thanks for that Pib.  Fingers crossed something becomes available.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Apparently only those that got 30 day extensions from a embassy letter qualify to get stamped to the November 30th.

Presumably because they had provided evidence of being unable to leave anytime soon, whereas those applying for a standard 30 day extension instead did not.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Another office changed a person's stamp to November 30th but they called him to return to the office and they cancelled it. He was told he did not qualify for that stamp since he had extended his original entry from a tourist visa. He was then told he could only apply for the 60 day extension.

Apparently only those that got 30 day extensions from a embassy letter qualify to get stamped to the November 30th.

Thanks Ubonjoe.  I had read about his experience as well and that is why I asked about the 60 day extension.  Unfortunately he was unable to advise about it.  It's my hope people will continue to go immigration offices and inquire about it.  Was there any information in these weeks cabinet meeting?

3 minutes ago, Promula said:

Did you show him the application form shown on that thread?

Unfortunately I did not.  I wish I would have now.  Hopefully someone else will try soon and show it to him.  I'll go back in about 2 weeks unless we get positive confirmation of a procedure beforehand.

7 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:

@SAcanman What if you try a different immigration office? It's not an "under consideration" stamp, which must be extended only at the same office.

I might try Chiang Rai next week as I'll be in the area but it's too soon to know for sure if I will.

When do you plan on trying?

Edited by SAcanman

20 minutes ago, JoseThailand said:
32 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

What is unfair, you have had a lot of time for free already.

Unfair is that they basically extorted money for what they ultimately gave for free.

If you reckon you're being extorted already, why would you be even thinking about staying in Thailand any longer than you have to?

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Trolling? Stop moaning that you want everything for free in live. 

I think you'll find that we paid for extensions, and i think you meant 'everything for free in life'. They weren't free. However, those people who didn't pay for extensions now have it for free, whereas we got the same amount of days (30) for 1,900 baht.

Pointing out that we should receive the same amount of days as embassy letters (60 days) because we paid the same fee.

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Pointing out that we should receive the same amount of days as embassy letters (60 days) because we paid the same fee.

But they're different circumstances. Letter users provided evidence of being unable to leave anytime soon and have been given an extra month accordingly. Those who applied without a letter are under normal rules, as one would expect.

One sticking point for people who didn't use a letter last month, when applying for 60 day extensions this month is that the IO could ask why (s)he should extend you on a covid application form when you didn't use the covid application method last month. You may be ok because you had a letter but didn't use it. Others may have problems though.

6 minutes ago, Promula said:

But they're different circumstances. Letter users provided evidence of being unable to leave anytime soon and have been given an extra month accordingly. Those who applied without a letter are under normal rules, as one would expect.

One sticking point for people who didn't use a letter last month, when applying for 60 day extensions this month is that the IO could ask why (s)he should extend you on a covid application form when you didn't use the covid application method last month. You may be ok because you had a letter but didn't use it. Others may have problems though.

Normal rules? Since when can you extend a tourist visa 7 months after it was issued? Most IO's were not extending TV - only some were. Which means that they shouldn't of extended my tourist visa and should have used the embassy letter.

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Promula said:

One sticking point for people who didn't use a letter last month, when applying for 60 day extensions this month is that the IO could ask why (s)he should extend you on a covid application form when you didn't use the covid application method last month.

Then why did they extend the amnesty for such people?

Edited by JoseThailand

16 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

Normal rules? Since when can you extend a tourist visa 7 months after it was issued? 

That's exactly what you wanted at the time and what you applied for. Presumably they had discretion over whether to give it or not, but one thing that's for sure is that standard TV extensions can never be for longer than 30 days, and that's what they're sticking to. They won't be rewriting those rules anytime soon.

1 minute ago, Promula said:

That's exactly what you wanted at the time and what you applied for. Presumably they had discretion over whether to give it or not, but one thing that's for sure is that standard TV extensions can never be for longer than 30 days, and that's what they're sticking to. They won't be rewriting those rules anytime soon.

Again, they said that all extensions made before 30 Sep will be upheld up to Nov 30. Their words, not mine.

3 minutes ago, Promula said:

Precisely, now that i fall under amnesty until the 31st my extension should be valid until the 30th Nov, no? Isn't that whats happening with the 30 day extension given to the embassy letters? Both extensions were explicitly for 30 days only, but only one of them gets the bonus 30 days

Edited by 2530Ubon