No mask, no entry: Video of automatic face scanner at Thai store goes viral

webfact

Countries that haven't or didn't enforce mask wearing and temperature checks are reporting tens of thousands of new cases daily..Thailand and other countries that enforced mask wearing and temperature checks are Covid or almost Covid free....just what is the issue???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/8/2020 at 10:12 PM, RichCor said:

+66

That number is 666."

my first phone number when I moved to Thailand started with 06.   Everytime I called the United States my friends & family would see 666 on their caller ID.   They'd say "where are you?"  Are you okay?"

I changed it about a year later.

Edited by LivingNThailand
  • Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 11:16 AM, Sumarianson said:

The conditioning is increasing. This is now CHINA in the making. 

In a sense, but is this in place in China now? From recent footage I've seen out of China, there is barely anyone wearing masks on the street and masks are no longer required in schools since June. Granted, masks are very much required at airports, high-speed railway stations (and likely) on public transportation. 

It looks like Thailand is the more totalitarian country out of the two at the moment. 

7 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Countries that haven't or didn't enforce mask wearing and temperature checks are reporting tens of thousands of new cases daily..Thailand and other countries that enforced mask wearing and temperature checks are Covid or almost Covid free....just what is the issue???

With rare exceptions like this particularly story (unless these scanners end up going nationwide) mask wearing is now MORE enforced in some of these countries than in Thailand. A friend in Florida tells me EVERY store he visits requires a mask and everyone, without exception, staff and customers alike, wear their masks. They also wear them "properly" i.e. above their noses. In Thailand that is not the case.

That stated, I think it's crazy to keep wearing masks indefinitely like this, so I can understand Thais since I do the same...I can't breathe with a mask on, so at most, I wear it under my nose for a little while and then lower it to chin level. Has worked for me so far. 

However, the bigger concern is with the installation of these machines, mask wearing looks like it will be permanent. Orwellian technocracy imposed on the Thai population. They're not going to spend all this money to install them only to one day remove them, never going to happen.

Masks will be a permanent requirement to go grocery shopping from now on. Whether it's in 1, 3, 5, 10 or 50 years down the track. Coming also to a supermarket near you, in most parts of the world...

10 hours ago, car720 said:

but I have never been able to figure out just who the man is.

Satan, I think.  Mark of the Devil 666.  At least that's what they told us in Sunday School.   That's why I changed my phone number from 06 prefix.  (+666)  Who needs that when "I can feel the devil walking next to me One Night In Bangkok".   

I think I'm getting a little loopy not being able to travel.  My apologies.  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

The author of that statement must have been in a different Thailand to the one I visited in both January and March. I can't speak of shopping Malls but I drove nearly 4000km visiting plenty of service stations, attended a wedding, travelled to Vietnam and back and saw very few precautions being taken - apart from people wearing face masks, that was widespread.

Chan-o-Cha appeared on TV showing rigorous checks being made at airports - I wasn't checked on my way out to Vietnam and only one passenger had their temperature checked at Don Mueang on the way back.  All that happened inbound and out was that I was asked if I'd visited China or Italy - asked......... nobody checked my passport to see if I was telling the truth.

Thailand, as far as I remember rightly, was also accepting Chinese tourists until mid April.

So, whilst I'm in no way defending the UK's response at that time, I'd hardly say the difference was staggering - a lot of talk, very little action

Thailand banned all flights 4th April...UK was still accepting flights from anywhere in the world without so much as a temperature check...15,000 at Heathrow daily alone. Entertainment venues were closed 19th March in Thailand. With a 10pm curfew again 4th April, iner province travel banned, beaches closed and compulsory mask wearing...a very staggering difference to the UK I think.

On the same Twitter feed, someone replied that in Scotland they're using this technology in schools now.

Does anyone know which other countries currently have such a system in place?

To me it's very much disturbing that Thailand, a developing country, should be among the first to be trialing this sort of Orwellian technology. I remember when I first read that story I was thinking "please don't let it be Thailand" and then wham! Thailand. I was like...wow, this country is getting closer and closer to being a police state. 

I don't see much of a future here anymore. Will probably move to greener pastures in about a year or so, before the whole country becomes a nation of robotrons. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Thailand banned all flights 4th April...UK was still accepting flights from anywhere in the world without so much as a temperature check...15,000 at Heathrow daily alone. Entertainment venues were closed 19th March in Thailand. With a 10pm curfew again 4th April, iner province travel banned, beaches closed and compulsory mask wearing...a very staggering difference to the UK I think.

Mask wearing was only compulsory in public in certain provinces but not all. And it was only rigorously enforced in certain locations mainly in April and May (similar to Vietnam) after which there was no formal announcement of the rules being relaxed, but in practice, they were (except at malls, government offices and other indoor public spaces). Ditto for Vietnam, which went largely maskless from mid May until July 25, when a second wave hit and all previous rules were re-instated. Currently, they are still in force but like in Thailand, most outdoor public spaces now stopped enforcing them once again (after strictly enforcing them until roughly Sep 7 or 14). 

Aside from Phang-nga's knee jerk reaction to a new case in Bangkok about a month ago, the current situation is that masks are no longer required everywhere in public. Only in indoor public spaces. 

• Like 1

Just now, baansgr said:

Anyone that uses email, credit cards, store cards, Facebook, line, WhatsApp, Instagram or has a mobile phone is already living under an Orwellian world....conspiracists need to get real and stop being so selfish and childish....

Oh gosh, how brainwashed you are...you sound like a Communist. Credit cards and Facebook are a far cry from being required to wear a mask and possibly in the future, being vaccinated to enter a store. 

22 hours ago, terje johnsen said:

Thailand have no corvid 19 says the goverment so why all this problems at the stores? There is many other things that people can have fever eks infection after cut in finger,malaria,dengue etc they are not contagious but can not enter shops.

This is high level of stupidity and will end with no tourist even when open border for all. Using mask only work well if you not touching it and cover nose and mouth mens 99.9% of all mask use in Thailand are unnecessary and help for nothing.

Of course. Having a fever could mean anything and equally it's been stated many times it means nothing in relation to covid. It's all about control. Granted, most sensible people aren't out and about if they have a fever, preferring to stay in bed. I don't know anyone who would have the strength to go about their day with an elevated temperature. That stated, one could have an elevated temperature from running. 

In the past, running through an airport terminal to catch my flight would be a very common thing for me. No doubt my temperature would rise to I don't know, maybe 38 degrees C as it would be expected to when you're in stress and especially if it's hot outside like it is in Thailand. 

If "normal" travel ever resumes, and by that I mean the ability to travel in and out of countries like before, presumably with some temperature checks in place, the era of running to your gate will be over, because you could be hospitalized against your will for having a high temperature. Unless you're completely calm and cool, you better not even think about entering the airport terminal.

People who have a slightly elevated temperature for all the reasons you have stated and my example of running or even walking a certain distance in the hot sun, will find they have to change their lifestyle to avoid stores and malls that have such measures imposed. This means, more online delivery (including groceries) and maybe permanently avoiding any interactions with such places as far as is possible. At most maybe going to the bank, something that hopefully won't be necessary very often. If it's just for withdrawing money, that can be done via outdoor ATMs. No temperature checks necessary, but if you need to go inside a branch...different story. 

On 10/9/2020 at 11:36 AM, khunPer said:

I've been using it – i.e. bothe mask and the Tesco-Lotus entrance scanner-gate – it's Okay.

As long as we have a pandemic, and some feel unsafe, or even scared, it's not that big a problem to wear a mask in a shopping center and other required places. It doesn't matter if the mask helps anything like physical virus protection or not; the important part being that especially vulnerable groups feel safe...:thumbsup:

The mask wearing is likely to become permanent. Pandemic or not. Get used to it. 

• Sad 1

On 10/9/2020 at 12:56 PM, Caldera said:

I didn't realize that this qualifies as newsworthy. I could have posted the same from my local Tesco Lotus in Bangkok many weeks ago. Always fun to watch the confused faces of old ladies who cannot navigate the gate.

This has been in place for weeks now even in Bangkok? 

27 minutes ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

In a sense, but is this in place in China now? From recent footage I've seen out of China, there is barely anyone wearing masks on the street and masks are no longer required in schools since June. Granted, masks are very much required at airports, high-speed railway stations (and likely) on public transportation. 

It looks like Thailand is the more totalitarian country out of the two at the moment. 

Thailand is the country where nobody wants me to die. 

While the loonies in Germany tell me repeatedly on Facebook they want me to die. Yes they do. And call me a totalitarian Nazi who "lives at their expenses" when I reply as harsh as can be "No, I never did, and I won't die for you, you scroungers" 

Them German feminazis call me sick even before I even say one word against them. The fact that I'm old and male and more successful like them is enough. None of them ever replied on the question what disease I should have. They prefer to report me to Facebook instead. But even Facebook doesn't ban me anymore. 

Edited by micmichd
  • Confused 1

On 10/9/2020 at 1:27 PM, robblok said:

I know there is usually some common ground, was just surprised about this one. 

I don't get it why people have so much problems with masks. I can't say I enjoy wearing one but even if it protects a bit its good. Thailand did the right thing in Uk an my country there will be new lockdowns and restrictions because of open borders and people totally not following the rules. 

I rather have this whole covid thing over and done with but that wont happen anytime soon so we just have to live with it.

It's never going to be "done with". This is the future. 1 year from now, 2 years, 10 years. It will only get worse from here. They could declare the pandemic as over tomorrow, but these measures won't be stopped.

A person standing with a handheld thermometer, yes, that can be considered temporary and probably won't last more than a few months. But a gate with CCTV screen installed? That's staying in place permanently. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, micmichd said:

Thailand is the country where nobody wants me to die. 

While the loonies in Germany tell me repeatedly on Facebook they want me to die. Yes they do. And call me a totalitarian Nazi who "lives at their expenses" when I reply as harsh as can be "No, I never did, and I won't die for you, you scroungers" 

Them German feminazis call me sick even before I even say one word against them. The fact that I'm old and male and more successful like them is enough. None of them ever replied on the question what disease I should have. They prefer to report me to Facebook instead. But even Facebook doesn't ban me anymore. 

OK, interesting. My point was that the Thai government is imposing these harsh Orwellian measures. The Thai people themselves aren't the issue nor do they necessarily agree with any of this (a few might, but most probably don't). I do get what you're saying about Germany. I know that Germans can be very harsh and I have seen recent footage out of that country of strangers telling others to wear masks and such things. No one does that in Thailand. If anyone were asked to wear a mask by someone else, it would be a security guard at a mall, not some stranger out on the street, unlike in a country like Germany. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

With rare exceptions like this particularly story (unless these scanners end up going nationwide) mask wearing is now MORE enforced in some of these countries than in Thailand. A friend in Florida tells me EVERY store he visits requires a mask and everyone, without exception, staff and customers alike, wear their masks. They also wear them "properly" i.e. above their noses. In Thailand that is not the case.

That stated, I think it's crazy to keep wearing masks indefinitely like this, so I can understand Thais since I do the same...I can't breathe with a mask on, so at most, I wear it under my nose for a little while and then lower it to chin level. Has worked for me so far. 

However, the bigger concern is with the installation of these machines, mask wearing looks like it will be permanent. Orwellian technocracy imposed on the Thai population. They're not going to spend all this money to install them only to one day remove them, never going to happen.

Masks will be a permanent requirement to go grocery shopping from now on. Whether it's in 1, 3, 5, 10 or 50 years down the track. Coming also to a supermarket near you, in most parts of the world...

Not even this is true. 

Masks are mandatory only in crowded areas. And maks have always been good common sense in downtown Bangkok where many Thais (yes, also of Chinese origin) flee from the smog now. And guess where they flee to? 

37 minutes ago, TheFreqFlyer said:

On the same Twitter feed, someone replied that in Scotland they're using this technology in schools now.

Does anyone know which other countries currently have such a system in place?

To me it's very much disturbing that Thailand, a developing country, should be among the first to be trialing this sort of Orwellian technology. I remember when I first read that story I was thinking "please don't let it be Thailand" and then wham! Thailand. I was like...wow, this country is getting closer and closer to being a police state. 

I don't see much of a future here anymore. Will probably move to greener pastures in about a year or so, before the whole country becomes a nation of robotrons. 

Crazy Germany was a country full of robotrons even long before anyone ever thought of Corona. 

I don't feel any desire ever to go back there. I'm also here for medical reasons. Thai medical and wellness reasons. 

Sometimes I forget to take my mask when I hurry to the market with my Thai lady. And I'm grateful when she reminds me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, baansgr said:

Anyone that uses email, credit cards, store cards, Facebook, line, WhatsApp, Instagram or has a mobile phone is already living under an Orwellian world....conspiracists need to get real and stop being so selfish and childish....

Fortunately only for those who dont understand how their phones or the apps work. ????

22 hours ago, LivingNThailand said:

Satan, I think.  Mark of the Devil 666.  At least that's what they told us in Sunday School.   That's why I changed my phone number from 06 prefix.  (+666)  Who needs that when "I can feel the devil walking next to me One Night In Bangkok".   

I think I'm getting a little loopy not being able to travel.  My apologies.  

Don't worry.  "the world is your oyster."

On 10/10/2020 at 7:30 AM, baansgr said:

Yes, April! Ever heard of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted?

My overall point is that at the time, the difference in reaction between Thailand and the UK was far from staggering.  Yes the UK was very lax at first (and continued to be so regarding flights) but in Thailand it was the usual 'all talk and no action' with a little bit of show thrown in.

After what we'd seen on TV - Chan-O-Cha parading around the airport showing all passengers being scanned, we expected to face a lot of checks when travelling to Vietnam on 2 March and returning on 4 March.  We were simply asked if we'd travelled to China or Italy - no actual checks. We thought our temperature would be checked - it wasn't and in fact I only saw one passenger, a Sikh, have their temperature checked.

The virus was first reported in China late in 2019, cases increased throughout January and February. By March it was spreading like wildfire yet Thailand was still accepting flights until April.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 7:18 AM, Kerryd said:

(i.e. like another world war or epidemic on the scale of the Spanish Flu) - most of you couldn't cope.

whereas  all those whining whinging left wing loonie tree  hugging millenials would eh  after they'd  had their capuucinofrappegrandevego  juice.

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2020 at 2:06 PM, micmichd said:

Not even this is true. 

Masks are mandatory only in crowded areas. And maks have always been good common sense in downtown Bangkok where many Thais (yes, also of Chinese origin) flee from the smog now. And guess where they flee to? 

It's very true. Masks are required in most indoor public spaces in many countries now. Perhaps not necessarily when just going for a walk outdoors though. 

• Like 1