Thai berry-pickers in Europe earned Bt800 million in three months

webfact

Thai berry-pickers in Europe earned Bt800 million in three months

By THE NATION

800_a12b27a89dfaa6d.jpg?v=1602210452

Labour Minister Suchart Chomklin

Thai labourers who had been working as berry-pickers in Sweden and Finland in the past three months have earned almost Bt800 million, Labour Minister Suchart Chomklin said on Thursday.

“Today, 895 Thai labourers returned home via Suvarnabhumi Airport, 365 of them from Finland and 530 from Sweden. They had been working there since July during the berry-picking season,” he said. “Since October 1, 3,270 Thai labourers have returned from these countries [689 from Finland and 2,581 from Sweden] where they got paid around Bt80,000 per month, or total earnings of almost Bt800 million.

“Sending Thai labour to work overseas is one of the ministry’s missions following the policy of Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha to promote the skills of Thai labourers in international markets and assure the world of Thailand’s efficiency in Covid-19 prevention,” he added.

After the berry-picking season ended, Thai labourers have gradually returned home since October 1 and will continue until October 23. The ministry reported that nearly 5,300 Thais had been working in Sweden and Finland.

“On reaching Suvarnabhumi Airport, the Thai labourers would be screened by public health officials wearing protective suits to prevent the spread of Covid-19, after which they would be transported to either alternative state quarantine or organisation quarantine and stay there for 14 days,” added Suchart.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30395893

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-10-09

• Haha 1

Ahh, berry picking.

Takes me back over 50 years to picking raspberries near Blairgowrie in Scotland. This was an annual Summer event for me when in early to mid teens. The rewards then were rather less than £2k per month, closer to a couple of pounds a day. Many laughs but tiring and, very occasionally, hot work.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

"they got paid around Bt80,000 per month".  Nice work...how much goes to the "agents" and how much goes into the pockets of the fieldworkers?

Indeed.

Also need to factor in the costs of airfares, visas, accommodation, food, etc.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, w94005m said:
  2 hours ago, Eibot said:

I'm not a math genius. But if 895 people earn 80k per month for 3 months. How do we end up on 800k? Plus if it was true that they get paid so we'll, why is the place not flooded by east europeans, as that is an extremely good pay for picking berries in the EU. Furthermore how did they get WP?

Worthwhile checking the numbers yourself if quoting, as Eibot did later. It doesn't help your opinion.

3,270 * Bt80,000 per month * 3 = 784,800,000

Yeah didn't read it properly. Still seems like a very ambitious monthly salary though. Something the avarage seasonal worker in Europe is more than happy to move for.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai labourers who had been working as berry-pickers in Sweden and Finland in the past three months have earned almost Bt800 million, Labour Minister Suchart Chomklin said on Thursday.

Bullshit meter.gif

46 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

we import pickers in Canada also due to the fact that folks would rather have a hand out than work for a living, I suspect no difference here..

If you talk about UK then yes. I have never claimed any handouts in uk. I always managed to find something to do that brought in something. Ok sometimes working cash in hand or 'on the lump' as it was termed ( no tax etc ) keep that quiet though ????. I admit it was well pre covid and obviously a lot of people are hurting now and things are different.

2 minutes ago, overherebc said:

If you talk about UK then yes. I have never claimed any handouts in uk. I always managed to find something to do that brought in something. Ok sometimes working cash in hand or 'on the lump' as it was termed ( no tax etc ) keep that quiet though ????. I admit it was well pre covid and obviously a lot of people are hurting now and things are different.

I imagine in Canada with unemployment at record highs they'll still have to import pickers..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

I imagine in Canada with unemployment at record highs they'll still have to import pickers..

One of the big uk brexit worries was reference the fruit and veg etc harvest time as a big % of it was done by EU migrant workers. Locals wouldn't do it because they would lose their gov' allowances. More money for no work.

• Like 1